LG V30 Andoid app - Clicks and gaps

Hey @Andrea_Tacchetti

I’ll be sure to pass all of this along to the team. Thanks for sending us the info!

-Dylan

@support

…Bump. Silence for 2 weeks?

1 Like

Hey @David_McAughtry,

Thanks for reaching out, and apologies for the silence here. The team is working on some big changes to Android playback that we hope will resolve this issue.

These changes are in progress, but they’ll take some time to implement and thoroughly test, so we can’t make any promises as to when these changes will be released. What I can promise, however, is that I’ll be sure to keep this thread updated as new information becomes available, and we’ll do everything we can to get this problem resolved as soon as possible.

Thanks for your patience here David, we truly appreciate it!

-Dylan

@support. Dylan, while your developers are busy on the Android update, here’s a couple of simple usability suggestions. On Android Tablets, Roon will only display vertically - it is presumably optimised only for the phone. On iPads, Roon only displays horizontally. It’s really inconsistent, but in general horizontal is better.

Also on both iPad and Android, Roon is not enabled for split screen. Split screen would be really useful so that other system controls or apps could be displayed at the same time (e/g for my Devialet system, or Tidal).

Neither of these are hard to do as far as I know.

That depends on the tablet, its resolution and how the tablet is reporting itself to Roon. My Tab S2 is now and always has been in landscape mode.

LG G7 ThinQ and LG V30 here. I am considering not renewing next year due to continual challenges with the LG Quad DAC and Roon.

There have been quite a few reports of issues, but your support forum layout is working against you now. I think it’s becoming too difficult to find common issues across multiple threads.

austingonzo

I have the same issue as above! Lg v30 pops and clicks!
I bought the phone in hope it will work with roon, but no it does not!
Its a shame!

I have an LG V30 and was thinking of trying Roon for my phone and home systems. I think I will wait now until this issue is resolved - just adding my voice to the chorus. LG V30 is the only audiophile phone.

@dylan Hi it’s been three months from the last news. Any news from the team?
Thanks

Andrea

I can also just chip in and confirm that I experience problems with the LG G7 and Roon, to the extent that I don’t use the combination. However I tried again today for a few hours today, thinking that previous experiences have been anomalies, until I got strange distortion and had to switch back to Tidal app.

Here too, same issue: highly distorted playback on LG V30 as endpoint when backgrounding Roon app. Happens for all formats, sampling rates etc as far as I can see. I mean hear.

1 Like

@support any updates on this problem please?

Cheers

Looks like this is not being rectified then?

My understanding is that this will be addressed via an Android app overhaul rather than as a specific device fix… This also suggests a potentially long/delayed ETA

Thanks for the update

Bang on, well said! Months later and these issues still remain and Roon is unwilling to address any of these problems. Endless lame excuses and non committal in any form of meaningful support.
USB Audio Pro puts Roon to shame. It’s a disgrace.
Roon is unusable on my LG V30 in any way other than as Roon Remote to control my NAS based Roon Core on my home system.
Roon make us jump through hoops endlessly in explaining the now well documented and exhausted problems that not just LG users but I suspect Android users experience.
Word of mouth and personal recommendations or condemnation can heavily effect a products success. I’m on several large audiophile groups and Roon won’t be getting positive feedback from me. I’m sure other users will take heed as I know several other owners of these LG phones.
Sadly it’s not even a case of too little too late fron Roon but more a case of Roon simply can’t be arsed. Roon has our money and couldn’t care less.
It’s the last subscription Roon will ever get out of me.

First off, apologies if anyone thinks we’ve haven’t been clear about this issue. We’ve spent time investigating this problem, and have provided periodic updates since the initial report. This issue isn’t being ignored.

While this may appear simple to resolve from your perspective, our investigation into these reports over the last few months indicate that resolving this will require a substantial rewrite of our Android audio infrastructure.

It’s always disappointing to us when manufacturers change something out from under us and cause Roon to break. These issues can be very time consuming to handle, and have to be prioritized based on the number of people impacted, especially in a fragmented ecosystem like Android’s where we have a relatively small number of people owning each device.

We do not see a way to fix this in the context of our current Android audio streaming approach–which was designed around the need to support older devices when we launched Android support in 2015. In order to move forward, we need to substantially re-design our interaction with Android’s audio subsystem.

In the context of that project, fixing the LG V30 is a side-benefit, not the main reason to do that work. Unfortunately, there isn’t a way to “pull forward” a workaround for LG’s behavior changes, so this fix is part of a larger project to modernize our Android audio system, and scheduling and completing large projects takes time. That’s why this work didn’t happen in 2018. Once our next major releases is out the door, we will be able to look at scheduling this again.

That’s the point I was trying to make all the way back in June – if this is a confined bug we’ll do everything we can to fix it. If this is environmental, we’ll do what we can to isolate the variables that cause this issue, so we can hopefully identify a workaround. And if this does require wholesale changes to our Android audio implementation, that work is also planned, but with a time frame that is necessarily longer.

I understand that’s not the answer you want. It’s not the answer I want to be delivering either – if I could snap my fingers and have a developer fix this bug tomorrow, our QA team would be testing it by Thursday and you’d have the fix in a few weeks. Since that’s not the case, all I can do is be transparent here.

Over the last few months we did add an LG V30 to our in-house testing gear, so we are now able to confidently work on issues like this in house. But for the moment, I just want to be clear that we are not wasting people’s time asking questions, and we are not ignoring this issue. We do plan to resolve this, and when we have more concrete timelines, we’ll let everyone know.

We appreciate everyone’s patience, and look forward to resolving this issue as soon as possible. Thanks and Happy New Year!

4 Likes

@support

Hi again

I have lately tried to use a lg v40 smartphone as a network endpoint through Roon to my hifi system. There is music but looking at the path it seems Roon is “degrading” the audio stream from 24 bit to 16 bit. Why is that?

I’m wondering about this because the Lg v40 can handle mqa format.

Read the thread above…

Well I have now. My post was merged with this one, hence I haven’t read it till now. :blush:

I don’t have the same issue as mentioned above. I get the music without stutter, pops and what not. Only thing is the degrading from 24 bit to 16, and of course that the full mqa is not delivered.

So it’s not all as bad as it was/is with the Lg v30.

Thanks in advance for trying to solve the issue. :pray: