Long gaps between tracks since build 1169

I have experienced the same issue since November. It often takes up to 30 seconds before the next track will begin on an album. I have since stopped using Roon, as a lifetime member no less, and now engage my Sonos app, which has worked without fail. My hope is that Roon will find a solution soon. It has ruined my enjoyment of the app.

1 Like

@Shane_Page I am sorry to hear that. Iā€™m still at the point where I donā€™t know if itā€™s Roon, my network, my Nucleus or my Fritzbox. What I can say is that I have no gaps with Audirvana and/or the Sonos App.
Roon Lifer as well.

Roon is much more demanding network wise, unfortunately.

Can you check for crc errors please?

https://telekomhilft.telekom.de/t5/Telefonie-Internet/FritzBox-7490-VDSL2-Vectoring-CRC-Errors-ausgeloest-durch-LAN/td-p/1701601

1 Like

Thatā€™s perfectly fine.

1 Like

Still like this?

Within an album, noticeable gaps are much rarer, but sometimes they do occur - just happened again with a Qobuz album. It was 5 seconds.
If I make a mixed playlist, however, I have between 4 and 10 seconds of pause between songs from different albums, some of which have different bitrates, and it still looks like Roon has big problems with buffering.
EDIT: gaps are getting longer, again.

I have a (probably stupid) question: the history of my Roon environment, i.e. the music I have already listened to, is quite long after a good 2 years. Can it be that the system slows down the longer this list gets? I donā€™t want to delete it, but I wonder if this could have an effect on Roonā€™s response behaviour between tracksā€¦ Just an ideaā€¦

Definitely not. After a certain length, it deletes itself, I forgot when. I never delete anything myself.

1 Like

I didnā€™t expect that either, thank you. But I would have asked you. Iā€™m currently desperately trying to get my system back into a state where I can simply listen to music without interruption - as it was until the end of November last year.

Iā€™m going to try a screen recording with switching to an app that allows to see the buffering.
ā€¦ everythingā€™s still gapless hereā€¦

I believe you that it is working for you.
But Iā€™m just frustrated, I bought a lifetime licence in November, various high-quality devices for my Roon environment, all Roon-ready, and now this misery with the long interruptions has been going on for 6 weeks. Iā€™d love to know what else I can do, but I canā€™t just replace the Fritzbox or the Nucleus on spec.

Maybe I have too many devices now and the network is simply overloaded.

That might be true.
In any case, no CCR errors mean that everything is fine from your ISP.
However, it can very well be a weak Fritzbox.
Can you try something else please?
Play the same album after unplugging the Fritzbox with no one else on wifi and without rebooting the Nucleus.
Hereā€™s the link:

I always jumped to the end of the 6 tracks for the sake of simplicity.
Stream to 4 grouped endpoints simultaneously.

1 Like

Thanks again for your help Axel.
I will try this today in the evening, when my wife has finished working. I will reply here.

Hey Uli. Sorry to see that you are getting so frustrated. Hard not to be with what is happeningā€¦ but you are not on your own with many experiencing similar issues from all parts of the globe, including me here in Australia.
Iā€™ve been using Roon for over a year. Initially using Wifi and for the last 4 months or so with Ethernet. Experience has been pretty similar with both set ups and what Iā€™ve found, seems to be a pattern that after a certain period of time the problems Iā€™ve experienced seem to disappear after there have been a lot of complaints/help requests from other users.
So Iā€™m only assuming that as the Support Team finds causes, they get fixed/patched without a great deal of explanation or fanfare. No one wants to shout out about issues when software has some hiccups.
These issues definitely have been lingering for a longer period, however I would suggest you move slowly and deliberately rather than look at updating or replacing your equipment.
I have done numerous time tests over the past month or so which showed that Roon was averaging a 10 sec gap between songs at one stage over a 10 hour period. Using exactly the same playlist using Audirvāna it averaged 0.5 sec gap between songs. Twice over shorter periods in the past few weeks have seen Roon play Gapless for hours on end, and within 30 mins revert back to longer gaps of between 3-10 seconds.
Anyway, trying to persevere without too much frustration, but when it does get too much, I just shut down the core, open Audirvāna, Qobuz Web Player or put some Vinyl on the deck. Hoping that by the time I open the Core back up it may be fixedā€¦ā€¦

Not yet, but hoping it will be soon

2 Likes

Thank you Ferg. Your words do me good.
I should really relax, itā€™s ā€œjust musicā€ after all.

I also hope that Team Roon will find something in the software and then everything will run smoothly again as usual.

1 Like

I guess Roon has become much more demanding in whatever areas. Thatā€™s for sure.

2 Likes

And thank you guys for supporting me here today, @Axel_Lesch and @Fergus_B.

2 Likes

Hi Axel I guess so too as it seems a different beast to what it was 14 months ago, but only Roon (and perhaps Qobuz) will know exactly if there is an issue.

1 Like

Maybe with the help of this app you can find out or optimize things:

1 Like