Long gaps between tracks since build 1169

Update on the replacement of the Internal SSD M.2 and RAM SSD on the Nucleus Plus Rev B.

In my library are about 260.000 + tracks so this could be part of the problem as well BUT those were there already long before the problems started.

Problem since almost 2 months:
Slow response of finding albums/tracks, lost connection to ROON and several other issues.
Tried all suggestions from others which are facing similar problems. No change to the internet (even tried different options here to make sure this was still OK) so no other options left.

Replaced the internal SSD where the Core is running by a Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 250GB
98% of the problems were solved, actually no problems any more, just not as fast as before in response to find or start a new track.
At the same order, I ordered the Kingston FURY Impact 2x16GB SODIMM DDR4 2666 CL15
This final step completed the last 2% and the Nucleus Plus is up and running like it used to be before.
Fast, stable and a joy to use again after a long period of problems which couldnā€™t be solved. After selecting a track it starts to play almost instantly.

With this contribution I hope others will find their solution as well.

Merry Christmas to all of you.

Jeff

2 Likes

Hello Marc,
This morning I wrote to all of you my findings by replacing the internal SSD and RAM SSD for my Nucleus Plus Rev B
It solved at least all of my problems and was curious of the Album you mentioned played well at Qobus. In The Morning of Alec Wilder in 96 24
I can assure you the complete album plays like it should be :+1:

1 Like

Thanks @Jeff_S. Unfortunately itā€™s not possible for me to replace the internal SSD on my Grimm MU1. If in my case an SSD is to blame I would be surprised. Nevertheless, if Roon canā€™t come up with a solution, Iā€™ll talk to Grimm and ask them if replacing the SSD could help.

Cheers,

Marc

Hello Marc,

Just to make sure we are at the same direction.
Itā€™s not the SSD where the library is stored, itā€™s the one where the ROON software is doing itā€™s job.
Besides I replaced the RAM SSD cards and suddenly all works like a dream again.

Even when this is not possible in your MU1, it could give an idea to Grimm or Support what could be the reason many of us are facing troubles since November 2022.

Just by replacing both, all works well.

I was also surprised I didnā€™t get any reply from support for the positive outcome of this problem.

But hey, it works for me and solved my problems.

1 Like

Hi - why did you choose the CL15 vs the myriad of other CLxx versions? Is there something specific about the CL15 that makes it more compatible with the Nucleus Plus?

Thanks!

Hi Vincent,

To be honest with you, I donā€™t have any idea.
Those were recommended by a friend who build his own NUCā€™s for ROON purposes since a couple of years.
I can ask him if this is important for you? The only thing I can tell you, it solved the problem here completely.

Thanks, I was just being curious. When I looked at them there was several differect CL versions. Iā€™ll poke around and see if thereā€™s any meaningful difference.

Happy New Year!

Frustrating.
I have now tried everything: daily Roon Core reboots, tried Google or Cloudflare DNS settings, Qobuz relogins, router reboots, volume levelling and DSP deactivated and and andā€¦ But the gaps between songs are becoming more and more extreme, and they are also occurring now with my local content.

If I use the Qobuz app directly or my old Audirvana 3.5, there are no problems. Only in Roon. :frowning:

Unfortunately, I donā€™t have a clue yet and Iā€™m almost afraid that my Nucleus is the problem. Roon support has also not contacted me back. So listening to music with Roon on my end-of-year holiday is unfortunately no real funā€¦

2 Likes

Have a look here:

Yes, it can be a bad drive or RAM stick.
But it could also be database corruption, and in that case restoring an older backup might help.

From the KB article above.

1 Like

Though I doubt it would solve everyoneā€™s issues, I did want to offer this personā€™s experience up as it is similar to my own in terms of the difference wiring core and endpoints has made.

Iā€™m sure many on this thread have fully cabled set-ups, but perhaps some do not. Adding wiring, even if unsightly, can help test a potential contributor to issues.

Good luck to all with this issue & happy listening

1 Like

Thank you Axel.
Apart from the pauses between tracks, the Nucleus is as fast and performant as ever, and behaves normally - but Iā€™m increasingly worried that it might be a hardware issue. I will look into solutions in this direction. At the same time, I have noticed that my ISP is currently only providing me with half the promised internet speed. Thatā€™s not good eitherā€¦

Thank you!
All wired hereā€¦

1 Like

I can confirm it is a widely experienced issue right now, regardless of server, mine is a NUC and gapless isnā€™t working - whereas listening to Qobuz direct there is no problemā€¦

1 Like

Hi @Tim_Woodward

Thanks for chiming in. Itā€™s a drag.

Iā€™m amazed by the inconsistency. Just now, with Roon Radio picking the tracks, four hires tracks played almost gapless and without the slighest hickup. Didnā€™t have that for weeks. The next batch went down the drain, Roon refused to play them, they were loading too slowly. Sigh.

But thereā€™s progress, I read, in finding a solution. Letā€™s hope so!

2 Likes

Hey @UliR
Really sorry that this ongoing issue is still not resolved. I took a quick look and saw something strange going on with your setup for quite some time:

Would you be willing to try something?
I can think of only 3 possible reasons:

1. Your Nucleus
  2. Your Fritzbox network
  3. Your ISP

Regarding point 2:
If thereā€™s a problem again with performance, high latency or other issues above, would you try to restart your Fritzbox? And not just a reboot, but turning it off, unplugging it for a few minutes, and then turning it back on.
If temporarily problems were gone, that would be a clue.

1 Like

@Axel_Lesch, thank you:

1. Your Nucleus - I have no idea how to check, this device is more or less a black box for me. How can I check whether the box has a hardware fault? It has 16 GB of RAM and using the Roon UI, everything works fast and as it should. Planned backups are working fine as well.
2. Your Fritzbox network - I can try and restart the device this evening, currently that is not possible as my wife is working and needs the connection.
3. ISP - I had a few problems in December, my connection was clearly too slow 2 weeks ago, I was then helped by the providerā€™s support and since then I have my usual download and upload rates of about 82 and 35 Mbps again.
Using Cloudflare and / or Google DNS did not make any difference.

EDIT: my wife took a break and I turned off the Fritzbox for a few minutes, now itā€™s back and I also rebooted my Roon Core.

It would be most meaningful if you could do the reboot when problems are massive, so that you are really annoyed. :slight_smile:
Perhaps after consultation with your wife?
If roon problems disappeared, you can try if they come back when your wife goes back to work - (does she do it over Wifi)?
Just for narrowing down the problem.

Only do one thing at a time, never two.
If you try several things at once itā€™s no longer possible to determine the cause.

1 Like

OK thank you Axel. Here is what I did:

Powered down Fritzbox, waited a few minutes. Powered it on, took very long to be back up and running. Five minutes or so, not a very good sign.
Rebooted Roon Core (OK - one step too much, sorry).
My wife works using Wifi, very reliable and good bandwidth.
I am working via an ethernet connection, no problems at all.

After this procedure, the gaps are way shorter, around 3-5 seconds - not 20 seconds or more as before. On my Sonos device and on my new Audio Matrix mini-i Pro 3 as well.

EDIT: sometimes gaps are still up to 8 seconds. :frowning:
EDIT 2: no gaps between tracks of the same album!

1 Like

If possible sometime ā€¦
ā€¦
you can try if gaps are shorter when your wife is not on wifi and nobody else either.

1 Like

OK - my wifes computer used to be on ethernet connection until yesterday. We usually only use Wifi for the mobile phones and an iPad. All other devices are wired.

BTW thank you very much, Axel.

I have a feeling that the Fritzbox has a problem. The device is about 5 years old and in continuous operation, so that could be it. It seems strange to me that you have to wait 5 minutes after switching it back on until it is online. It used to take maybe 1 1/2 minutesā€¦