Lyrics in version 1.6 is a step backwards

Quoting from Geoff from another thread, but responding here, to try to have lyrics covered in the same thread. I’m sure the moderators will appreciate that. :grin:

Just to provide additional clarification as to the problem and a possible solution:

(1) The issue are the automatic scrolling lyrics versus the static lyrics that do not scroll and how they appear in the Now Playing window. Brian, the CTO, explained that

Therefore, these two scenarios can be handled differently and in real time.

(2) Brian thought that the current approach for lyrics with timing that can be scrolled automatically is not the issue. It works OK when automatically scrolling, as on most songs it is rapidly scrolling down. In a home theater while watching the lyrics on a 70" screen from a distance of 12’ the fonts are rather large. Almost comically large, and Roon might consider downsizing the font size a little bit. However, in other settings, with a smaller TV at a similar or greater distance, the current size of the font might be an advantage.

(3) However, the automatic scrolling (Geoff calls it the “lyrics tech”) appears to fail well over half of the time with songs on Roon. As noted above, it fails on major songs from Sinatra to Springsteen where it should work.

That suggests that the technology that Roon has licensed is not up to the job. It is significant step forward as compared with static lyrics, but Roon should find another vendor or source in the future. I believe that other streaming services that do something similar do not have such a high failure rate, and work more consistently on all songs, but I can’t document my impression at this time.

Roon should investigate why the automatic scrolling of lyrics fails so often, and whether it can be improved. Do other applications use a different technology or vendor that works more consistently?

(4) The immediate and pressing problem, as explained above, is when lyrics don’t scroll. The font is so large that you must then scroll line by line. This is not only laborious. It is nearly impossible using a wireless keyboard in a home theater to scroll down fast enough and keep up with the song.

(5) So in that setting, Roon should automatically shift – in the Now Playing window – and call up lyrics in the smaller format in a box, as it previously did, and as explained below, still does. If a user can select the font size, that would be ideal for adjusting between iPads versus different set ups in a home theater. Even if that is not possible, and the result is a box with the lyrics in a smaller font, it means that we would only have to scroll down once or twice while the song is playing, and can read the text and follow along while the song is playing.

(6) Geoff has pointed out that the static box still exists. But it would be cumbersome to have to close the Now Playing window, and return to the track list, and then click on the 3 dots, just to get to the lyrics. That defeats the entire purpose of having lyrics in the Now Playing window.

(7) The static lyrics have another problem. I’ve noticed that in some cases, as with a jazz instrumental version of a song that was originally composed with lyrics, the lyrics come up anyway, if lyrics have been invoked in the Now Playing window. Roon thinks the song is a vocal rendition when it is not. This is not that big an issue, but want to point it out.

Many thanks for Roon for the major step forward on lyrics, and for resolving this issue in the near future.