Build 1.8 / 923

Networking Gear & Setup Details

N/A

Connected Audio Devices

N/A

Number of Tracks in Library

Approx. 15k tracks

Description of Issue

My attempt to create an m3u based playlist is not working.

I have used a Mac app named “M3U Edit” to export an m3u file, and placed that file within the directory that all the files referenced in the m3u file (albeit in subfolders). The overall containing folder is enabled in storage.

The text of the m3u file is:

#EXTINF:0,Walk with Me - Marc Cary
C/Cary, Marc/Focus/02 - Walk with Me.m4a
#EXTINF:0,Change of the Century - Ornette Coleman
C/Coleman, Ornette/Change of the Century/07 - Change of the Century.m4a

Is there anything obviously wrong here?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Take a look at this thread. It looks like you need to use relative rather than absolute paths.

DaveN,
Thanks, but I think my paths already are relative. Am I misunderstanding the context.

No, I misunderstood the file hierarchy you’re using. As best I can tell, assuming your playlist is located in the same folder as ‘C’, this should work. I don’t have any self-created playlists, but just added one and it’s working as expected for me (using exactly the same syntax as you used).

One other thing to check, I presume you have ‘Import other playlists’ selected in Settings → Storage, for the storage location that contains ‘C’?

Thanks for testing it out. That’s above and beyond the call.

Unfortunately, I already had “import other playlists” enabled, so the problem is still a mystery.

No worries. Hopefully @support will be able to help out.

Thanks for trying. Probably something subtly dumb I’m doing.

Hey Akimo,

Thank you for getting in touch. The problem is the audio file format, M4A isn’t a supported file type. You can find a full list of supported formats in this article from our Help Center

Audio Stream Format Not Supported** - The file is may be valid, but Roon doesn’t support this format. It might use an unsupported codec (for example, an MPEG4 file with a .m4a extension where we couldn’t locate an AAC or ALAC track), use an unsupported sample rate or bit depth, be a video file, or otherwise be a type of media that Roon is not prepared to handle right now.

If you reformat those M4A files to something else (AAC, ALAC) that should fix you up. Please let us know if that helps.

There are two bizarre mysteries here:

• I keep most of my files in FLAC, but skimming my library shows that they’re all in m4a now. I haven’t initiated any sort of process to do that, and I’m 100% sure roon didn’t.
  • These files suffixed as m4a play perfectly well in roon, so I’m guessing the suffix isn’t matching the file contents. Opening one of these files in Yate shows them as ALAC. I’m pretty sure I’m down the rabbit hole at this point.

Given that these files play without problems in roon, despite the suffix, does it still make sense that the suffix would be causing the m3u to fail?

Thanks, and sorry for this mess of a question!

This isn’t correct as .m4a files can be AAC or ALAC. I’ve just tested this–by converting a FLAC file to ALAC–and the file extension is definitely .m4a and can be read and played by Roon.

I think the key bit, on the page you linked, is as follows:

" 1. Audio Stream Format Not Supported - The file is may be valid, but Roon doesn’t support this format. It might use an unsupported codec (for example, an MPEG4 file with a .m4a extension where we couldn’t locate an AAC or ALAC track), use an unsupported sample rate or bit depth, be a video file, or otherwise be a type of media that Roon is not prepared to handle right now."

Hey @Akimo,

Correct! If the m4a maps to either an ALAC or AAC file it will work. If the m4a maps to an incompatible format they won’t work. The thing to do is search your drive for the incompatible file extension, say MPEG-4 for example, then convert those files to something else that works in Roon. Once you do that you should be fixed up. :+1:t2:

Gents,
Thanks for the guidance.

I’m in the process of converting everything back to FLAC via dbpoweramp batch converter.

I think I may have solved the mystery of how the files got converted to m4a. The technical diagnosis is I’m an idiot (problem occurred between keyboard and seat).

I’ll post again to confirm that the playlists are being picked up once the conversion is done.

Sorry for the delay. Life got in the way of roon config!

I’m still not getting m3u’s to work. Here’s the current test:

#EXTINF:0,03 - Voices, for string quartet; Blitz -.flac
H/Higdon, Jennifer/Piano Trio - Voices - Impressions/03 - Voices, for string quartet; Blitz -.flac
#EXTINF:0,03 - Hungarian Rhapsodies No. 2, Lento a capriccio.flac
L/Liszt, Franz/Hungarian Rhapsodies [Brendel]/03 - Hungarian Rhapsodies No. 2, Lento a capriccio.flac

and a screenshot of the storage config:

If you have any thoughts on this, I’d be grateful.

Thanks

Hey @Akimo,

I’m sorry that you’re still having trouble. It looks like there could be a prohibited symbol in the name of your third folder in the path. Is anything in CLOP-A being imported successfully?

There are approx. 800 albums in that directory. I’m pretty sure 100% of them are being imported successfully. Is the dash symbol prohibited?

Thank you

Roon Core Machine

Nucleus+
OS=1.0 build 227
server = 1.8 build 936

All music storage on an attached USB drive

Networking Gear & Setup Details

N/A

Connected Audio Devices

N/A

Number of Tracks in Library

Approx. 20k

Description of Issue

M3U playlist not being picked up.

• I have the storage location set to pick up playlists
  • the playlist is located at a directory level that includes (via deeper level directories) all the tracks included in the playlist.

The playlist text is:
#EXTINF:0,03 - Voices, for string quartet; Blitz -.flac
H/Higdon, Jennifer/Piano Trio - Voices - Impressions/03 - Voices, for string quartet; Blitz -.flac
#EXTINF:0,03 - Hungarian Rhapsodies No. 2, Lento a capriccio.flac
L/Liszt, Franz/Hungarian Rhapsodies [Brendel]/03 - Hungarian Rhapsodies No. 2, Lento a capriccio.flac

Any guidance as to why this is failing would be appreciated.
Thank you

Continuation of:

Try without the semicolon?

Thanks for the suggestion, but still no joy.

I used a different set of tracks without semi-colons in the file names, and the playlist still didn’t get picked up. The text of the playlist was:

#EXTINF:0,07 - First Impressions.flac
M/Meyer, Edgar/Appalachia Waltz/07 - First Impressions.flac
#EXTINF:0,10 - Toccata for piano in B flat major.flac
R/Ravel, Maurice/Concertos and Piano pieces [Bavouzet]/10 - Toccata for piano in B flat major.flac

As an experiment, I created a playlist with just two tracks from a single album, ensuring neither track had any non-alpha characters in the file names other than dashes between the track number and name. The playlist still isn’t being picked up. Any thoughts?

Here’s the test playlist:
#EXTINF:0,04 - Play Ray.flac
Blues Walk/04 - Play Ray.flac
#EXTINF:0,02 - Move.flac
Blues Walk/02 - Move.flac

@support

Any troubleshooting suggestions on this? I’ve tried a number of experiments, and cannot get any m3u file-based playlists to get picked up.