macOS Catalina’s new security model broke Roon - how does this happen?

I used to work at Apple in Tier 3/Tier 4 Support and Support Readiness. So I might be able to speak with some authority too…

Me too, and now I’m kind of pissed at Roon. I’m also pissed at myself for not having time machine on my Mac Mini (it’s all backed up now, but I don’t have a pre-Catalina back up. I weep.

Not sure what this means … Roon is of course one of the many ways to play FLAC on a Mac. “Still no FLAC”??

The final beta was available for weeks and not likely to change. Also, waiting for a fix, like stereo Airplay2 support seems like waiting for Godot. They seem loath to keep users in the loop about progress or any ETA on things. Great product, poor PR and user communication. Oh well, I’ll wait. I’ve paid and switching isn’t an option. I assume that figures into their response or lack thereof.

1 Like

You know perfectly well then. You also had the good fortune of knowing what was coming before it landed on the masses.

Curious? Does a job like that pay well? Seems like a high turnover gig. I spoke to someone at Apple Care the other day and I’m not sure that they knew any more than I did.

Yes, you can play FLAC on a Mac but I also play my music on several iPods, iPads and iPhones. Apple offer no native support, so either you keep your music in FLAC and AAC or just AAC. Sadly then my car player doesn’t support AAC except when I plug in an Apple player.

Apple don’t seem to like non-proprietary software, clearly no money in it. Sorry, I just don’t get it, it’s pissing people off for no reason.

I was at Corporate and it was many years ago. I have no idea how good the Support people are now. Especially tiers 1 and 2. The pay was okay back in my day. I hear the pay is on the lower end now and that you get worked real hard.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve run into some really sharp folks in tech, and some who may have been new. The last rep was definitely in a learning stage. With so many of those jobs being in the California Bay Area, you’d think pay would need to be sufficient to live in proximity.

I very disappointed with Roon in regard to the Catalina upgrade. I have spent a lot of money upgrading my system and aiming (of course) to optimise the digital chain as best I can. One of these decisions was buying a new specced up I7 Mac Mini (core) and use an external SSD as my library into the MAC. I use SOTM SMS-200 Neo, SOTM Cat 7 ethernet, Uptone Regen, curious cables, separate power supplies etc upstream of core and library. Previously my QNPA NAS had library. SSD is better for sound and speed in my experience/opinion. Sounds fantastic. Much of my spending has been prompted since my discovery of Roon. I ditched my Cambridge Audio CXN setup and built in large part around Roon. Thinking I would probably end up going lifetime.

Now I either ditch Roon, do not upgrade to the new OS or settle for an inferior library set up. I resent that my OS upgrade cannot happen because of Roon. I am missing the benefits of a new OS upgrade if I stick with my set up, perhaps the most disappointing aspect and a warning for a lifetime upgrade proceeding.

There seems to be little interest from Roon in regard to this matter. I have been exploring the potential of options such as Audionirvana (so much cheaper! and some say better & has Tidal) but I still want Roon. I love the software and interface. But if this isn’t fixed I don’t think I will have much choice.

@MarkO

I think this is a case of merely delaying your Catalina upgrade. I’ve upgraded to Catalina and had to use a core workaround. Hopefully Roon fixes this sooner rather than later. This is more of a bump in the road versus driving off a cliff.

Also, Audirvana is an excellent program. DMG Audio has some sweet plug ins for it. It works well for my office system. It’s a little quirky over the network.

I don’t know much about MacOS or Catalina, but I know that Roon are actively working to resolve Catalina issues. A delay in upgrading is annoying, but I expect that restoring functionality for those who have lost it is an interrupt priority.

I wouldn’t know because I have seen no response from Roon on this issue (external HDD non recognition). When you charge a premium fee (as Roon does) then expectations change. If this was an Audionirvana issue I would be more forgiving as I would have paid a lot less and already have a lifetime licence.

2 Likes

Then you haven’t been reading many Catalina threads:

That took me 5 seconds to find. There are more and older…

2 Likes

No I haven’t, thanks and congratulations on finding it in “5 seconds flat”.

What I find particularly interesting about this discussion is the way some people use the “p-word” to express feelings of anger and frustration. Where I grew up (Woking, a town in northwest Surrey, England), “pissed” used to mean “drunk” and “pissed off” used to mean “angry/aggressive”. I’m starting to think that using the former in the sense of the latter is becoming more and more common in British English, too. When I was a teenager (in the 1980s), only speakers of American English would have said things like “I’m pissed at Roon/Apple”. Times are changing…

(I’m saying this as a Brit who moved to Germany about 20 years ago…)

3 Likes

You noted you were a teenager a long time ago but this has been normal lingo for a long time now… at least among Brits, Aussies and Americans I’ve worked with… even some of my German friends when I worked in Stuttgart…

I’m sure it has.:joy:

Please see my ‘smug’ post a few days ago. BTW I never actually told my wife the real price of the Nucleus but felt I had to tell her something to put her off the scent of all the saxophones she doesn’t realise I have,

Eminently sensible.

2 Likes

Why anyone in his right mind would upgrade to Catalina right out of the gate simply eludes me. Would anyone upgrade to the the latest Windows feature update on day 1 without reading forums first? Get real, guys.

3 Likes