Marantz Cinema Line [HEOS] - When is it Roon Ready?

Ahh, got it. I should have made that inference from what you described as sync drift. Can’t help you with that one….
Are the endpoints of the same device type drifting or is it just the bluesound falling out of sync with the HEOS endpoints?
Can you replicate if all are wired? … I know that may not be feasible.

I only have 2 RAAT devices. The Node 2i and the Home 150. I have a few other HomePods but obviously they don’t count in this equation. Can’t test wired.

We have a Denon Home 350 also. I did an initial test and sent it a FLAC file of John Adorney, and it did sound a tad bit bitter–not dramatic, but obviously better, IMVHO. :grinning:

Forgive the noob question but how do you confirm that RAAT is actually being used and not something like Airplay?

Okay, I figured out one answer. Doh!

Just enable the 350 for Roon Ready and disable it for anything like for Airplay.

Ahh, the joys of set it and forget it. :grinning:

Check the signal path display.

THANKS! :grinning: That did it.

My Denon Home 250 mysteriously disappeared from Roon after a reboot. When I went to re-enable the device in the Roon app, voila - there it was under Roon Ready. Seems to work perfectly so far. Excellent!! :tada:

Seem to have fixed the sync issue. Installed ROCK to a different NUC (slightly faster - although I suspect CPU speed was not an issue). Fresh install and now the sync is perfect.

1 Like

Glad that worked for you. The only time I experienced sync issues is on the rare occasion with several Sonos via Sonos streaming or Airplay. Now with several Denon speakers Roon ready, I’ve grouped with other RAAT endpoints I have all have been streaming well and in sync. Pretty stoked about this and can ditch sonos now.

Try this: NAD/Bluesound Grouped Zones out of sync, stopping playing, and/or skipping tracks [Investigating] - #89 by ToKr

Worked for me with a Bluesound Node 2i and DCS Network Bridge

1 Like

Is your speaker down sampling to 44.1kHz too as 150 model does?

It looks like it is, but it sounds good to me for an itty-bitty speaker.

1 Like

I would totally challenge anyone to reliably distinguish the difference …

Hence my resistance to needing to upgrade my HEOS system for better resolution outside of my main systems.

The old HEOS (HS1) speakers do a nice job. I’ll see how long I can keep them integrated with the rest of my system and able to use the ROON interface rather than the HEOS app.

3 Likes

Looks like you’re feeding it 44.1 as the source to start with so it doesn’t have to downsample (unknown if the 250 does like the 150 seems to be doing). Can you send it something other than 44.1 and see what happens? The bitdepth doesn’t seem to matter - the 150 doesn’t reduce the bitdepth to 16bit if it’s sent something larger. If you send it something more “hi-res” like 48kHz then the downsampling will be listed below the Denon Home 250 entry. Like this for my 150.

Stopped working even with a freshly installed ROCK sync lost again. Looks like it’s the Node 2i rather than the Denon. I replaced the Node with a RPi4 running HifiBerryOS with their DAC HAT - which has Roon bridge build in - and there are no sync issues at all.

I agree. I can’t tell the difference between 44.1 and 48/96 etc on my 150. So I certainly can’t tell the difference with the Denon doing the downsampling vs MUSE doing it. However with the pricier devices I think I’d feel a bit cheated knowing that whatever I’m feeding it from my “hi-res” sources is just downsampled anyway. However at least it doesn’t compress the bit depth.

Ah, yep, most of my files are ripped physical media . . . I have a few high-resolution albums. :woman_shrugging:

Yep. So it looks like the Home 150 and 250 devices down sample to 44.1. But they do preserve bit depth. Wonder how far up the premium ladder this goes? I suspect the whole “Hone” line does incl the 350 and the Amp but only a test will tell. I would hope the £1000+ devices don’t. An interesting one would be the Marantz M1.

Here’s the path for the M1 using ROON ready:

Here’s the path using RHEOS on the same device with pass thru chosen

Here’s the path using AirPlay2

I’m very happy with the 250, especially since we paid $200 (on clearance)! :upside_down_face:

1 Like