Media from NAS loading slowly

Hi Rainer, Hi Noris,

I have the same problem and similar configuration (Synology DS 1817+ NAS, Cisco network eqiopment, Intel NUC Core i5 as a Roon Server connected via Ethernet, few different Roon Clients – Windows64, OS X, iOS and few different Linn network players.

It looks quite the same in case of my own music library stored on NAS (playback of most tracks is suddenly stopped and Roon skips to the next track). It occurs for all clients and all zones.

Qobuz and Tidal albums are streamed with no problems.

I don’t know, if it’s important but I’m also interested in the Lifetime Membership :blush:.

Greetings from Poland,

Waldemar

Hi @Waldemar_Kwasnik,

I have split your post into it’s own thread so that I can assist you on a more personalized level here. Can you let me know the exact model/manufacturer of your Cisco network networking equipment?

I assume you might be using managed switches here, if this is the case we have seen managed switches require specific configuration in place as mentioned in our Networking Best Practices Guide, often times “Flow Control” has helped resolve similar bandwidth issues.

I would start off with confirming a few things here:

1. Does local media saved on the Intel NUC experience this issue? As a temporary test you can try connecting a USB drive to the server to remove the NAS from the equation for the time being.

2… Does music play back as expected when both the Core and the NAS are connected to the router?

1. If you have an unmanaged switch, is the behavior the same when replacing the Cisco one with an unmanaged one?

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

My configuration is rather complicated (Firewall: Cisco ASA 5516-X, two stacked switches Cisco Catalyst 2960X). WiFi is not important at this moment because only tablets and phones use it.

This configuration works with no problems with several multimedia protocols – I use Linn, DLNA, AirPlay and so on. No problems with streaming so far. It doesn’t matter if the media file is stored locally or on the NAS .

I’ll try to assist you and to make some tests but please, don’t ask me to reconfigure ASA or switches – it’s beyond my possibilities and I wouldn’t like to ask my administrators.

Of course, I can reconfigure any of my computers or mobile devices or NAS storages.

I’ve asked Eric Stewart to reopen my trial, so we have 30 days.

Kind regards,

Waldemar

I had the same problem and it’s the Synology. It cannot keep up. Solution was to use a 4TB direct attached USB drive with my library on it. Problem went away. I use a MacMini and ChronoSync to ensure the USB is backed up and I have multiple copies of the library.

Hi @Waldemar_Kwasnik,

You mentioned that the issue still occurs if the media is saved locally? And this is the same behavior across all of your zones?

Let’s try a test here, can you please output to the NUC’s HDMI port and see if that works as expected? I assume that the rest of the zones involve the network but checking to see if HDMI plays as expected (even if it is not connected to anything) will give us a great data point.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

This is a misunderstanding - sorry for that. I mentioned that all other systems and devices using many different protocols work properly as well locally as via network (wired and wireless) although it took some time of my colleagues - network administrators. During my trial period I tested Roon only in this evolved configuration. Yesterday, Eric reopen my trial account and now I can make new tests today - of course, I’ll let you know as soon as I have first results.

Best,
Waldemar

Hi Noris,

First of all, I decided to follow the suggestion of Chris - thank you Chris!
I copied part of my library (mostly HD Flac files) to external USB drive and then I attached this disc to Roon Server. It’s not the definitive confirmation but I played 5 different albums and I observed no problems so far. Music was streamed to 4 different zones.
So I think, the problem is between Roon server and Synology NAS - I hope you can solve this issue. As I mentioned, other systems (ie. jRiver, VLC, Linn Kazoo, etc.) doesn’t generate such problems.

Best,
Waldemar

Hi @Waldemar_Kwasnik,

Thanks for confirming that only files located on the NAS are experiencing this issue. I am wondering if perhaps the SMB version you have active on the NAS could be causing this issue.

Can you please check your Synology’s Advanced Settings and let me know if you have configured it to use the SMBv2 protocol? The settings should look something like this:

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

In my configuration there is a difference concerning Minimum and Maximum SMB protocols - i have SMB1 as Minimum and SMB3 as Maximum.

Best,
Waldemar

1 Like

I’ve just change the Minimum Protocol to SMB2.
Regards,
W.

1 Like

Thanks for making that change @Waldemar_Kwasnik, do let me know how it goes with the new SMB settings in place!

– Noris

Dear Noris,
Unfortunately, It didn’t help.
Regards,
Waldemar

Hi @Waldemar_Kwasnik,

Sorry to hear that making the SMB change did not help. I have a few other thoughts here:

• You mentioned that you network is fairly complex. Can you try connecting the NAS directly to your router and let me know if the behavior is the same?

• Do you by any chance have port aggregation turned on for the NAS? As in are you making use of multiple Ethernet ports on it?

• Just to verify that this is not due to Core -> Nas communication, would you by any chance have another PC around the house that you can use to temporarily host the Roon Core on? I’m hoping this would give us another good data point.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,
Concerning your ideas:
ad 1. Practically not possible - there are hundreds of other files stored on this NAS and all of them should be available to all relevant devices and users.
ad 2. Yes. 4 Ethernet ports are aggregated.
ad 3. That was my idea for Saturday. I have another NUC connected to my network and I’m going to use it for tests. In fact, actually it’s my jRiver server and for last 3 years I didn’t observed any problems.

Regards,
Waldemar

Hi @Waldemar_Kwasnik,

Thanks for confirming that info.

I wonder if the port aggregation could be causing an issue here. If you temporarily disable this feature and leave just one Ethernet port connected to the NAS do you experience the same behavior?

Please do let me know the results from this test.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

Ad. 3. Negative. The second NUC doesn’t cooperate with NAS too.
Ad. 2. I’m not sure if I can do this test. I’m afraid of potential consequences - particularly I don’t how DHCP server reacts if mentioned port aggregation is broken…

Best,
Waldemar

Hi @Waldemar_Kwasnik,

Just wanted to check in with you here to let you know that I haven’t forgot about your report here, I’ve been actively discussing your case with the team and I am planning go get some more feedback from the devs on the best way we can troubleshoot this issue.

Last time I spoke to QA they noted that port aggregation has caused issues with Roon in the past, so it would definitely be a great data point if we could eliminate this variable from the equation (if at all possible).

One other data point I would like to have for this issue is seeing what the diagnostics from your Core reports when the issue occurs. Before I enable this feature for your account, can I please ask you to reproduce this behavior once more and then note the exact local time in your country when you experience the media loading slowly issue? E.g. 11:38PM on 4/17/19.

Also, just to confirm the exact failure state, this issue does not occur for all tracks but just some and there doesn’t appear to be any kind of pattern (higher sample rates, in between track transitions, different media format, ect?). This issue presents itself as the track starting to play back, it plays as expected for a while and then skips to the next track. How long is the time that the track usually plays back for before the skip? 10 seconds? 30 seconds? Instant?

Please do let me know the above info so that I can add it to your case notes here.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,

Thank you for your message. I just have a lot of work and I don’t have enough time for testing. I could probably turn off or chenge the way of the aggregation but my Synology NAS is also DHCP server so I’m afraid that all my MAC-IP definitions could be lost. I just have to read some docs and make configuration backups before testing. Alternatively, I could use another NAS (the old one) - I need some time.
Concerning specific patterns - it’s difficult to say - in my opinion it’s about 50% of tracks, tracks are usually interrupted in the second part but it’s just my feeling.
Best,
Waldemar

Dear Noris,

Could you give mi the possibility to make tests on another server? - I need just one additional license for a separate Roon server connected to NAS with a test version of my library.
In the meantime, I could normally listen to my music stored on USB local drive connected to the primary Roon server.

Best,
Waldemar

Hi @Waldemar_Kwasnik,

Yes, I would agree that also adding the old NAS would be a good test here to see if this is more networking-related or just localized to that specific test. You can feel free to move your current Roon subscription between as many Cores as you’d like, but I won’t be able to provide an additional license.

When you move the Roon Core, it will ask you to un-authorize the previous one and this is a relatively straight-froward process. I would suggest making a Backup of your Roon database before switching Cores though.

Please do let me know the results of this test and some timestamps if possible.

Thanks,
Noris