microRendu General Thread

We have a dearler in UK that is serving Europe.

http://www.vortexbox.co.uk/Sonore_microRendu_-_In_stock/p317978_8336953.

SONORE computer audio - Rendu | microRendu | Sonicorbiter SE

Very happy with my mR …

The mR replaced going directly from a NUC > JitterBug > Supra USB > either a Devialet Le120 or an Audeze Deckard
At the moment I’m using the iFi iPower

I’ve just switched from the Supra USB to a Curious Cables cable ( 20cm ) and even happier now :smiley:

… but now thinking about moving the iFi iPower onto the dedicated network switch and adding a better power supply to the mR - it never stops does it!?

I am another who is very happy with the microRendu. For many months it has simply worked perfectly, running Roon from a Windows PC it has proved to be 100% stable with zero drop outs, or any other issues for that matter. When I first had the mR I was using an ifi SMPS to provide the power, more recently I have been using the UpTone Audio LPS-1. For me the LPS-1 provided a significant gain in performance, providing a far ‘cleaner’ sound, I think it had taken away some undesirable artefacts that I was previously unaware were even there. All good stuff! Previously I was using Devialet AIR for Roon, and the mR has proven to be a step up in both sound quality and stability. To confuse matters slightly, I have recently upgraded to a Devialet ‘Pro’. My feeling is that the mR performs better with the Pro than it did with the previous ‘Expert’ model, specifically with bass definition, so I have a suspicion that something is improved with Devialet’s latest USB implementation. (although there is nothing in the specs to back up this supposition) But with the Pro the mR performs better that Devialet AIR in all areas, with the old expert I thought that AIR had the edge with bass performance. Having said all that, I have always been of the opinion that Devialet AIR provides superb sound quality (if not stability), so for the mR to perform at or above this level is very Impressive I think. Currently I am using the mR to feed a Mutec MC3+USB, this takes things to an even higher level, so I can also recommend mR+Mutec for those that can benefit from an AES/EBU connection.

I have seen some reports of folk moving on the very similar SOtM sMS-200, which is cheaper and there are some early reports claiming it sounds better than the mR. I am completely happy with the mR, it works perfectly and sounds superb in my system, so I have no plans to switch to the sMS-200 myself.

I started with the supplied iFi and then put an LPS-1 UltraCap in front of it. The increased dynamics with the LPS-1 were palpable, to the extent that I had to up the rating on a B+ fuse in a sensitive valve amp.

Good morning John,

I’m delighted with my microRendu which I’ve been using for circa 6-months. The cost/SQ ratio is huge and it provided a major improvement to my Naim 272 and Chord 2Qute combination.

I started out with an iFi PSU which has now been replaced with a Paul Hynes SR3 LPSU. This proved to be a significant step forward to an already excellent product. Sadly the UltraCap LPS-1 wasn’t around when I ordered the Paul Hynes so I may re purposes that and order one at some point.

Based on my experience it’s money well spent and I wouldn’t hesitate.

yes, very satisfied;
replaced a SOtM SMS-100 with linear PS
first used an iFi iPower, was very good. Later upgraded to Uptone LPS-1 which further improved sound.

thanks Jesus!
…better be fast then (before Brexit kicks in).

I bought the uRendu (w/ iFi PS) after extreme frustration with AIR v2 on my Devialet 200. Worked perfectly and sounded great. When Devialet finally released AIR v3.0.1 beta, it was comparable with the uRendu from an SQ standpoint IMO. I then upgraded my Devialet to the Pro and as @Brian69 mentioned, I think the uRendu now sounds best… and that’s with the iFi PS. So now I’m giving serious thought to the Uptone LPS-1. But may hold off to see just what Devialet is going to do with their new OS/streaming board this year. If there’s a remote chance Devialet will make it Roon-Ready - well, that would be ideal. But I’m not holding my breath.

But no hesitation at all in recommending the uRendu.

You’ve got plenty of time then!

1 Like

I like my microRendu. I started with the iFi PS, but picked up a Channel Islands Audio PS which I like better. The mR works great with HQPlayer and my W4S DAC-2. I picked up the mR before my Bryston BDP-1 was Roon certified, so I actually have two Roon Ready endpoints. The BDP-1 is hooked up to a Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC via BNC. Really comes down to what DAC I want to listen to. Both devices and DACs do a great job. I switch back and forth and listen to both.

Robert,

as you own a W4S DAC and I just got my new W4S DAC-2v2: do you have native DSD working or are you using DoP?

PCM only. This is an early version (2011) DAC-2 (non-DSD). It was send back for the femto clock upgrade in 2015. I do not have any DSD recordings other than SACDs on disc.

The W4S DAC does not presently support native DSD playback on Linux?

More information here:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-native-direct-stream-digital-support-27418/

John H. Darko posted a review called ‘Classy! Sonore’s microRendu takes digital audio higher’

Read the review here:
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/01/classy-sonores-microrendu-takes-digital-audio-higher/

If I buy a MicroRendu, then it would not matter if I have my Roon Server on a common, but powerful, Windows PC or a “audiophile” computer like the SonicTransporter i5.

Am I right? i.e. SQ wise.

1 Like

I switched from a very expensive pc to a sonicTransporter i7.
Sounds much better here.

This is what Chris Connaker said when reviewing the SOSE:

I setup five different computers as Roon servers to send audio to the Sonicorbiter SE.

1. Windows 8.1 noisy, non-tweaked (hardware or software) PC with 6TB spinning drives of local storage.
  1. Windows 2012 R2 server SOtM / AO server with highly tweaker hardware and software.
  2. OS X El Capitan MacBook Pro
  3. OS X El Capitan / Windows 10 (Boot Camp) MacBook Pro retina
  4. OS X El Capitan iMac 5K

I couldn’t hear a hint of difference between the sources when sending audio over Ethernet to the RoonReady Sonicorbiter SE. This combined with the fact I have no idea how the source could possibly effect the sound of the Ethernet endpoint in this situation, lead me to believe the source has no effect on sound quality.

Note: I completely respect the opinions of others who will try similar tests as more RoonReady endpoints become available. In addition, my conclusion here has absolutely nothing to do with locally attached server / DAC combinations not using audio over Ethernet.

I can’t see any reason why the same wouldn’t apply to an mR.

13 posts were split to a new topic: Roon Core Hardware / OS options and sound quality

I’ve split out the on going wider discussion to its own topic.

2 Likes

42 posts were split to a new topic: Would the mRendu benefit from a good power supply?