MOCK - Tell us what strange gear you've installed ROCK on!

I have that exact same one and it works on my H310M board.

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

OK. Which of the 42 Intel chipsets are not supported by ROCK? In order not to be mistaken when buying a motherboard for ROCK.

Unsure what’s going on… and this is exactly why we don’t support random products for ROCK. We lack the manpower to support all boards.

If you really want to run that board, you can always install something like Ubuntu on it yourself.

If you are not buying the sanctioned NUCs, you should install a Linux distribution yourself. I entertained the question you asked about chipsets, but I’m not spending time helping MOCK users.

1 Like

Excuse me. Was wrong. :frowning:
But I am the official ROON subscriber and ROCK can only be used by ROON users (other users will still not be able to use ROCK).

Thanks @danny
I thought it was worth asking the question. I fully understand your position re. “non official” hardware. The asrock Deskmini 310 works fine with an ASIX based USB - Ethernet adapter, so the compatibility “issue” is more cosmetic than anything else.
Thanks for a GREAT product!

ROON only provides support for ROCK on specified NUC hardware. Roon users can tinker with ROCK on other hardware (termed MOCK, see this thread) but Roon staff do not answer hardware questions outside the supported NUCs.

I find it short-sighted in terms of attracting new ROON subscribers, who find it easier to try ROON using ROCK on their special computer for audio than installing Ubuntu (especially not all audiophiles are so advanced in Linux). :frowning:

Supporting ROCK on all hardware would require a very substantial increase in Support and wouldn’t really be viable without charging for ROCK. Roon prefers to make ROCK available for free but limit hardware Support to the specified NUC hardware.

1 Like

I’ve shifted this discussion into the MOCK thread where other users may be able to assist in answering questions about network chipsets that have worked for them.

You don’t need ROCK to run Roon. Roon runs just fine on any Linux, or Windows 10, or macOS.

Sure! But audiophiles needs the best SQ and linux give it.

find it easier to try ROON using ROCK on their special computer for audio than installing Ubuntu (especially not all audiophiles are so advanced in Linux). :frowning:

Agreed that audiophiles want the best SQ, but to believe that ROCK running on RoonOS supplies better SQ than Roon on Windows or macOS, is a myth that even the Roon principals debunk.

3 Likes

They don’t debunk it, they just don’t confirm it! :wink:

1 Like

Just installed ROCK on my audio server PC:

• Intel S1200V3RPM server board
  • XEON E3 1226V3
  • 2x 4GB Apacer ECC DDR3-1066 RAM
  • Intel 24GB M.2 SSD

To my surprise, ROCK istalled without any issues and found the Intel i210 network card.
I have now restored the backup with around 80’000 tracks from my previous ROCK and the PC plays along nicely.
I am wondering whether there is any way to see how much of the tiny SSD is being used.

1 Like

You can see this in the ROCK web interface (enter http://ip-of-your-rock or http://rock in your browser).

Thanks, @RBM
The Web interface shows me 58% available, which is quite remarkable, given the SSD is only 24GB in size. The library has 78086 tracks.
I did hit snag now. I cannot access \ROCK\ from Windows explorer to add ffmpeg. Is there any other way to get ffmpeg onto ROCK?

You need to enable SMB-1 share access on the windows box… there is a thread here if you search windows and SMB1

use this here

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/8160d62b-0f5d-48a3-9fe9-5cd319837917/how-te-reenable-smb1-in-windows1o?forum=win10itprogeneral

Your windows system will need to restart too

Thanks, @wizardofoz
Got it to work. Entering \\IP_Address\ did the job. No idea why \\ROCK\ would not work.

May have been cached somewhere with your previous ROCK address ? Just guessing.