Music stops randomly

Hi @support,

I have noticed that music just stops randomly every now and then. Today it has happened three times already (14:25, 14:58, and 15:31). It doesn’t seem to matter whether I stream local files or Tidal since it happens with both. I have already checked the Roon Server log files but couldn’t see any problem there at the time when music stopped.

From the Roon Remote it looks like that music is being played but the playback just doesn’t progress any further. Like here the playback has stopped at 1:58 on the first track.

Streaming continues working fine if I for example change a track, or an an album on the Roon Remote.

Here is my setup:

• Roon Server (build 269, 64-bit) is running on Windows 10 computer (i7-6700K, 16 GB RAM, two GTX-1070, SSDs). All music files are located in an internal SSD. The computer is connected to a Netgear Orbi router with an ethernet cable.
  • Devialet 1000 Pro is connected to a Netgear Orbi satellite with an ethernet cable.
  • Roon Remote is installed on iPad Air 2

I haven’t noticed this kind of behavior earlier.

Hey @Petri – does this happen with the Devialet only, or with other zones as well?

I’m getting the identical problem with a Devialet Expert. It does not occur with a Slim Devices Transporter.

Hi @mike. This seems to happen only with Devialet and with the latest Roon release. I didn’t notice this problem with earlier Roon releases.

Hi @mike and others on @support,

I am having these sudden stops all the time now, it’s happening so often that it’s getting ridiculous to listen anything anymore! Can you please help me on this?

Devialet Expert doesn’t show any errors, but on the Roon Server log files I can see sometimes a lot of following lines when this issue happens. Does this indicate anything where the problem is?

11/03 16:54:27 Info: [stats] 1590mb Virtual, 425mb Physical, 128mb Managed, 1370 Handles, 69 Threads
11/03 16:54:30 Trace: [Devialet] [Enhanced, 16/44 AIFF => 24/44] [100% buf] [PLAYING @ 5:45/6:20] Midnight Serpent - Satyricon
11/03 16:54:35 Info: [brokerserver] Client disconnected: 192.168.1.8:58763
11/03 16:54:35 Debug: [remoting] firing request callback with null because of dispose
11/03 16:54:35 Trace: [push] restarting connection (Unable to read data from the transport connection: A blocking operation was interrupted by a call to WSACancelBlockingCall.)
11/03 16:54:35 Trace: [push] retrying connection in 49033ms
11/03 16:54:35 Warn: posting to shutdown SynchronizationContextThread
11/03 16:54:35 Debug: [remoting] firing request callback with null because of dispose

There are about 1000 lines of these when it happens.

Here is a link to the full Roon Server log file of today. The issue happened at 16:54 today.

Hi @Petri ---- Thank you for touching base with us and my apologies for the slow response.

Based on your feedback, at first glance this feels like something related to your environment. Out of curiosity, have you tried (temporarily of course), mounting the 1000 Pro directly to your router as opposed to the mentioned Orbi satellite?

Furthermore, if you use the Devialet outside of the Roon application do you ever experience the same behavior?

-Eric

Hi @Eric,

Thank you for the help.

There aren’t any issues when using for example RCA inputs of the Devialet. It works perfectly fine then.

I haven’t tried connecting the Devialet directly to the Orbi router. I will try to do this soon, but first I need to buy a longer Ethernet cable so that I can try this.

Today when I started listening, I was able to stream whole whopping 4 minutes before it happened again (at 16:25). Then it happened again at 16:31, 16:34, and 16:36… This time there was nothing special on Roon Server logs and there are no faults/errors visible on Devialet.

At the moment Roon is almost totally unusable with Devialet.

The network should be just fine. I have been streaming for example Airplay many hours almost each day but I have never had any issues with it. Problems start when streaming just CD-quality (44.1 kHz) to Devialet…

For what it’s worth, I’ve seen this behavior with my Devialet 440 Pro on a few occasions in the last few weeks (however not as often as @Petri I don’t think). I have only seen it while using Roon AIR to my Devialet. I also own a Sonore microRendu and when I stream thru that, I’ve never see it occur. I have not tried going back to Devialet AIR (and hope I never need to :wink:

I’m running Roon Server on an i7 win10 desktop (with Roon installed on SSD) all hooked up via ethernet (not using wifi).

Hi @Petri ----- Thank you for the follow up, I appreciate you touching base with me.

To bring you up to speed I had a chance to meet with the team today and will are going to be discussing this behavior you are experiencing with the 1000 PRO in greater length later this week with one of our senior developers to get some insight into this behavior you’ve been experiencing.

Moving forward, if you do get a chance to test with the unit mounted directly to you router please do le me know the outcome of that test and furthermore, so I have a complete set of notes for our meeting. When you tested via the RCA inputs, what was the exact configuration used during that test run?

-Eric

Hi @Eric.

Here is a link to my Devialet configuration files if you want to check my configuration in detail level.

[link removed by support after download]

Hi @Petri ---- Thank you for touching base with me, very appreciated.

Confirming that the dropbox link was accessed and the contents of the package were downloaded, thank you again for that. However, I don’t think I got exactly what I was looking for and my apologies if there was confusion in my request :innocent: Please allow me to clarify a bit further.

“When you tested via the RCA inputs, what was the exact configuration used during that test run?”

• What I was looking for here, was a little bit more of a, “broader answer”. In short what I want to know is what your setup looked like when you had performed the test via the RCA inputs and ran into no issues.

-Eric

Hi @Eric,

As you can see from the configuration files (you can import these files to the Devialet online configurator), I have two devices connected to the Devialet’s RCA inputs:

1. Turntable (Michell Gyrodec, SME V, Benz-Micro Wood SL).
  2. AV amplifier (Marantz SR5007).

Both work perfectly fine with Devialet as well as Airplay streaming from iPad to the AppleTV.

I am going to buy a longer Ethernet cable today so that I can connect Devialet directly to the Orbi router. Let’s see if that helps.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Dropouts with Antipodes Server and Auralic endpoint

Hi @Eric,

I tried direct Ethernet connection between Devialet and Orbi router on weekend. I played music for two or three hours and didn’t notice any issues during that time.

Next my Devialet 1000 Pro will be traveling to France for the Core Infinity upgrade. I can continue testing when I get it back.

1 Like

Thanks for the update @Petri, I will be on the look out for your observations when you get the device back.

-Eric