My ROCK will not update from 1.8 to 2.0

my ROCK doesn’t work. it is i7 with tons of storage available, updated to OS 1.0 (227) and RSS 1.8 (931). remotes updated fine, ROCK keeps saying Not Compatible, try again, or it just keeps saying Downloading without anything changing. in UK.

I had to reboot my ROCK before it would update. Did you try that?

Roon doesn’t outsource support. It’s that the forum is the way to get in touch with the support pros and until they respond there are Roon users who will try to help.

Thank you, yes I rebooted everything (obviously), reloaded the OS etc.
I am sorry but I don’t agree with you, I have had zero help for 24h already now, I don’t own any other product where I can’t get such a basic level of help for such a long period of time. If this update was likely to have such issues they should have warned us to avoid it for now.

A new release always results in a lot of users, who either can’t follow directions or have non-standard systems, report in with their problems.

Not saying you’re in that group, but there are probably a lot of people ahead you.

Pretty certain Support has their hands full right now with a release that has been out in the wild for only a day.

Dunno why you and others are having problems with ROCK. I know that there are a lot of ROCK installs out there.

1 Like

Actually I wish I hadn’t followed direction. The direction leads to the remote updating and ROCK getting stuck. That means zero functionality. If they had managed to prioritise the ROCK update first, then a fail on ROCK would still allow us to use the product on 1.8 until support gets to us. If you think that is about people not following directions or having non standard systems then I just have to disagree with your logic.

Can you get onto the ROCK Web GUI?. If so, then your ROCK v1.8 is still working.

You should be able to download the Legacy app onto a control device to control ROCK and be back in business.

As others have noted this probably indicates a problem with the download site and not an incompatibility.

There are a lot of ROCK systems out there, most of which have probably updated without any problems. To believe that there is a widespread update problem based on the sample in this forum is just not accurate.

Rock here no problems at all.

You don’t address the key point: an update should not be done on the basis that if it fails one loses functionality of the old version. There is a concept of “fail safe” which should be implemented here.

The rest you write is simply speculation without you having any information about my system or that of so many people that haven’t been able to upgrade. It would not be the first time that a software provider needs to fix bugs and thus there is zero basis for you to assume the issue is with my system and not with the update itself.

Anyway I see no point in continuing this discussion unless you are a roon employee in which case I can formalise my complaint!

You missed my key point in order to further your ire.

I’m asking you this -

At least, until things get straightened out, you would have music.

On that we agree.

I complained specifically about the fact that the upgrade is done in a sequence which can lead to no complete failure. This is a terrible way to organise an update. You have offered no information refuting this so this point is considered valid and closed.

Your point that I can spend more of my time downgrading back to 1.8 is obvious to even the most new of users and certainly known to me. that doesn’t change in anyway my complaint which is already described.

It should be understandable that my post is justified by both these facts and the obvious level of disappointment one should fairly feel in my position.

What is incomprehensible is why you keep insisting on refuting these irrefutable facts. It seems you have a lot of time in your hands which explains why you don’t mind spending your time upgrading and downgrading software that doesn’t work.

I would invite you to look at other posts. Tons of people face the same exact issue. This confirms further that the failure is on Roon’s side and that your uninformed knee-jerk reaction accusing users who don’t follow instructions or weird systems is false and as such correctly received as offensive by all of us with this issue.

Had zero issues here with my custom Optiplex Rock. Downloaded Roon Remote 2.0, it found my core. It asked to update, I ran it. And I was on 2.0. That’s the risk we take with ROCK on unsupported hardware. And, it’s clearly explained that you will be on your in this case.

There are ‘tons’ of ROCK installations out in the wild. Thinking that there are major problems based on the posts on this forum is just wrong.

Didn’t know you spoke for everybody. I am just trying to suggest the steps you might try to have music until Support straightens things out. Don’t know if they’ll be successful, but there’s nothing to lose.

I thought we were done with each other.

We have now identified the core of the issue. Numerous experienced users having the same problem with systems that have worked great for years is a fact that I consider important in speculating that the update is the issue. Further, as I have built my own system I know it is plain vanilla.

You are speculating, based on zero fact, that it is the issue of users who don’t know how to follow instructions (which in this case are remarkably simple) or of their strange systems.

Now we are indeed done.

Did you even try to use your v1.8 ROCK?

Or would you rather talk about what you think was the meaning of what I said about your complaint that you hadn’t had help for a problem you reported a scant 24 hours ago on a day when a new release was out .?

im closing this out because we can discuss the actual issue here:

3 Likes

Fellow members are only trying to assist you to get back online here.
As already explained, it’s a major update and I’m sure @support has their hands full.
There is no other way to get assistance bar this forum which is where Roon support will follow up.
I know the situation is frustrating and you are upset but an attitude towards those who are only trying to help you is not going to help any.
Thank you for your patience and understanding

3 Likes