New Bug in 1.8 - 778: Artist Appearances no longer show on artist page and discography [Resolved - B790]

It’s a bit inconsistent. I have a similar number of appearances for Pete Townshend but if I click on Robert Fripp from that credits list it seems complete.

Thanks for the examples, everyone! We’ve opened a ticket with our development team on this. We appreciate the feedback here.

2 Likes

another example. Peter Sprague is a guitarist for which I have no “Main Albums” in my collection but he does have one or more appearances and zero compositions. When I search for him, he appears as a search result. When I click on his name, I get a page that includes the proper bio. But no appearances show up. I would expect that if an artist has neither appearances nor main albums nor compositions, he or she wouldn’t show up at all as a search result.

See also this new issue I have just discovered, which may be related but is not the same issue, therefore a new report.

Two days ago I was about to make a post praising the Roon team for fixing the problems with 1.8 and making it so great. Because it IS so great in so many ways. And then this…

Version 778 does not display many albums from artists as being in library that are absolutely 100% in library.

Miles Davis, John Coltrane and other artists are affected. Overview and Discography only show a handful of albums, but finding an album directly shows it as being in library. The result of my discovering this was hours of troubleshooting, restoring backups, etc. All stuff I frankly have no spare time for.

After patiently waiting to have the huge shuffle and focus issues fixed (nice!), now there is, unfortunately, something even more arguably fundamental that is broken. I would REALLY like to go back to just using Roon for what it is intended for (my needs are not all that sophisticated), but I can’t seem to get past problems with basic, fundamental functionality. It’s arguably more broken now than ever… :frowning:

3 Likes

Kind of Blue is also an album that specifically does NOT show in my library but definitely is.

Blue Trane by John Coltrane is another example.

For me it’s happening with a lot of Jazz artists (Miles Davis, John Coltrane).

I have both Tidal and Qobuz in addition to my own local library stored on NAS.

I don’t use streaming services.

1 Like

Pretty much the same for me. If I search an album directly I can find it. Under the artist page in my library many are missing. This seems to only happen in my library. And yes the metadata is correct (the way roon liked it before latest update). So frustrating.

1 Like

@support, could you give an update on fixing this pernicious bug? Any way we can revert to a previous Roon build until it’s fixed?

2 Likes

I’d love to be wrong here, but from my experience: They’re just not that fast…

Yeah, I hate to sound impatient, but I am, haha. :wink: But seriously, this is arguably a rather catastrophic bug and not just some minor inconvenience or an outside use case. Roon literally doesn’t know what albums I have in my library. :open_mouth: It’s hard to imagine something more fundamental other than maybe playback not working. It’s not something I imagine I’ll be particularly happy to wait very long to see a fix for. I’ve already been waiting since 1.8 launch to be able to do the handful of simple things I do with Roon (play, shuffle, focus my library). I love Roon. I love the concept, feature-set, and the design (mostly) of 1.8. I just wish it worked consistently. I really thought we were there with 778. :sob:

2 Likes

We have a fix in testing folks – it won’t ship until that testing is complete, but the wheels are in motion on this and a few other issues.

We don’t intend to sit on these fixes any longer than absolutely necessary, so thanks everyone for your patience on this.

5 Likes

Thank you kindly for the update Mike. The work and communication are very very much appreciated.

thanks, @mike

Just updated and there seems to be two bugs introduced that didn’t exist before. Would be great if someone else can confirm and Roon developers can fix the issue.

1. First bug is that there are now some artists in the albumview where albums no longer show up in the albumview although it has a primary artist link to it. Please see screenshot below to explain
    Screenshot #1: Ricki Wilde does not have any albums associated to it

Screenshot #2: Ricki Wilde is listed as primary artist

1. Hard to show by screenshot, but something has changed how “primary artist links” work and when the album no longer shows up under artist. Let me share an example:
  • Album shows up under “Sting” as “Sting” is listed as primary artist link
  • I edit the album and deselected “Sting” as primary artist link (for example, because Sting is featured and I don’t want this album to show up when selecting “Sting” in artistview
  • After doing this, the album still shows up [this was not the case before the most recent Roon update and is the bug that I am trying to describe]
  • When going back to artistview and selecting again “Sting”, the album is no longer listed under Sting (which is expected and correct behaviour)

Please let me know if additional info required for problem-shooting.

@support

I encountered the same problem. From what I’ve seen, it always happens to artists added manually in the library (whether the album is a local one, Tidal or Qobuz).
This bug appeared in one of the latest versions (1.8 Build 764/778).
Reproduction scenario:

• Add a new album to the library.
  • Manually edit the album, putting a new artist defined manually both in the “PRIMARY ARTISTS LIKS” section and in the “ALBUM ARTIST” field.
  • Navigate to the album added above.
  • Click on the name of the artist created manually above.
  • The above album does not appear in the artist’s discography in the “Albums in my livrary” section.

for a change I’m not the only one experiencing a bug, so this one actually has a shot at getting fixed, albeit only 3 complainants… hmm, perhaps I’m being overly optimistic.

1 Like

This is a well known issue. According to latest message from Roon, a fix is in the making.

1 Like

I have a very different bug that I have logged. Not sure anybody else has experienced it or not. I switched on the show more covers option they added back in on my windows remote on my Surface Laptop 3 , now clicking on artist links from albums or anywhere hangs Roon instantly as it get stuck loading them. Have to force close it. Then Roon is stuck on that page for opening it up thereafter so cant use it all.

I have to uninstall all of Roon settings to get it to load again. I then found that changing any display settings whatsoever triggers this behaviour only Roon default install state will work can’t add any album details nothing. Nothings changed other than the version of Roon. It’s not been overly stable at all on Windows since 1.8 launch where 1.7 was solid.