New Bug in 1.8 - 778: Artist Appearances no longer show on artist page and discography [Resolved - B790]

You don’t seem to be understanding or acknowledging that in every company, different teams exist. Not everyone is working on fixing bugs or adding features to Roon, nor can they because of skillset differences.

For example, the recent threads on Roon OS 2.0 are being conducted by me and me alone. The Roon OS has a dedicated team that has never touched Roon code. The skillsets required are radically different. I happen to lead that Roon OS team.

The discussion about Mobile Roon access is being driven by users, the entire discussion about backups was forked off from the Roon OS thread, a post spawned by a user.

You are indeed being cynical. The bugs will get addressed. It will take time. Constructively helping us identify those issues is helpful, being a “negative Nancy” is not.

1 Like

Being constructive and helpful was my attitude ten days ago. My point to this day has not even been acknowledged. I can’t help it, but with every day passing without any response makes me feel ever more negative. And Nancy, not at all. Thank you.

3 Likes

Clearly you are upset, but that does not grant you the right to create a toxic environment here.

Anyway, you have your acknowledgement now. We are on it.

@dylan

another example:

I have three albums of French organist Jean-Charles Ablitzer in my library. On all three he is the (sole) Primary Artist.

Album list filtered:

I then click the artist to see what I have and what else is available, and I get the following:

While individual tracks of the albums are listed, not one of the three Albums themself show up. Neither under “Main Albums” nor under “Appearances”. None of the three albums I have in the library is on Qobuz, as far as I can tell.

Thanks

1 Like

With all due respect, the toxic environment is frankly not being helped by 10 days of not even acknowledging (yet another) massive fundamental bug in Roon. I don’t blame Andreas for being upset. If this is the main conduit for help then users pleading for days on end for some answer about a new and rather major bug in Roon’s primary core functionality should seriously be looked at.

And I agree with @Andreas_Philipp1, having just coughed up the yearly subscription prior to 1.8 and it not working properly for one single day since has me also feeling increasingly negative. This is how you turn enthusiastic, championing voices into disillusioned detractors.

I could understand from a product management standpoint if this was some outside use case, but it’s not. It’s a fundamental problem with Roon not even knowing what’s in the library. It’s hard to imagine a more fundamental problem other than playback maybe not working.

6 Likes

Exactly so! And adding insult to injury, one is being name-called by Roon’s COO.

2 Likes

Some more food for thought - and it gets even more weirdo here, as the iPhone App and iPad App return different results for the same Artist, as follows:

I have two albums by American composer Alan Hovhaness in my library. On one, he himself conducts one of his symphonies, on the other Album, one of his symphones gets conducted by Fritz Reiner.

My expected result would be:

• One appearance in Library
  • One appearance “as Composer”

And thats exactly what I get on iPhone:

But not on iPad, where I see this:

Two appearances. But no distinction between “Performed by” and “Composed by”. On the very same albums with the very same metadata!

What the heck is going on here?

4 Likes

I couldn’t have said it better.

3 Likes

Pissing off your customers isn’t exactly helpful either.

3 Likes

I’m not saying you all are are not wrong in being upset about an issue in Roon. I’m saying we will not tolerate toxicity in the forums.

@Andreas_Philipp1 attacked me by accusing me of creating a smoke screen to detract from this bug. This is not good behavior and it doesn’t help anyone. It just let’s him vent. I will not be accused in this manner, and I will not tolerate this behavior on our community site. By his own admission, he has been getting angrier and angrier. That’s a crap situation, but he doesn’t get to take it out on me or anyone else here on this community site.

Negative Nancy is a term used to mean “excessive pessimism”, but in this case, maybe it would just have been better to define his words as “meant to accuse and created an inflammatory situation”. This is toxic behavior.

If my customers get angry because I call them out for toxic behavior, so be it.

We are about to deploy a new policy for this community site that will have a zero-tolerance attitude towards this type of comment. These comments will get aggressively moderated and users warned and banned for repeat infractions. I’ve never seen @Andreas_Philipp1 behave like this before, so clearly this is because of his building anger. That explains it, but it doesn’t excuse it.

Anyway, the bug has been acknowledged. Stay on topic by providing more constructive information, or stay silent and wait for a fix.

Great, your forum will be full of drooling fan boys again
Good luck with that. Bye bye.

1 Like

I wish we could at least agree that there should be some reciprocity on this support forum. If you expect users to be constructive and post helpful information, your support team should be able to respond in a reasonable time with something as simple as “thanks, we are looking into this, stay tuned.”

Being ignored for 9 or 10 days, not on one, but several reports, is off-putting.

Can we agree on this, or am I asking for too much?

2 Likes

This is not about lack of criticism. This is about not attacking people or creating toxicity.

@Andreas_Philipp1 is out on other threads now, fanning the flames. How is this healthy for the community?

We are two months into this release, and even base functionality has not been restored to full working order. If I would call myself COO of this company, I would feel more than just slightly embarassed and scale down the aggressiveness of my tone.

Bye from me as well.

5 Likes

I agree that you are not asking for too much. However, they are not idle. They are posting every minute of every day. Some stuff just gets lost, especially when 2 issues are related and one is getting addressed already.

I acknowledged you directly and have already spoken to the team. There are 2 issues here: the bug/support issue, and the smokescreen accusation.

Can we agree that it was uncalled for?

That I never implied. But it’s your task to make sure that constructive and well intentioned reports are at least being acknowledged. This is a two-way communication and it has been missing.

I apologize for that.

I hope we can reach some reasonable agreement so that users who do invest effort to document issues are acknowledged and responded to.

5 Likes

and they are, but something slip-ups happen.

We agree on this, and we are doing the best we can. In fact, we have hired more people to our support team – the team is nearly doubled in size just in the last month.

1 Like

Apropos of nothing, it’s absolutely staggering that this got through Beta/QA. When 1.8 was first released, long term, experienced subscribers were highlighting fundamental library management fubar within an hour.

For future major releases, I would strongly recommend a community beta programme available for general download with warning stickers on it, etc.

5 Likes

“Various Artists” albums no longer appear in artist view, only album view.

They used to appear in both views (browsers).

1 Like

My Roon does not show Various Artists either.

1 Like