New streaming service(s) coming in 2023

I ask why the app will not be available on Ipad…still weird

In my opinion not weird at all, they start on iPhone and depending on market reaction they decide if they want any to invest in an iPad app. Developing multiple apps in parallel is expensive, and this is very likely a small side project for them.

For reference, the iPad got a native weather app only last year, so I would not hold my breath to be honest :slight_smile:

If Tidal can do it, it can’t be that hard. Check out the track credits all linked in the Tidal app.

So it wouldn’t be a new thing for the labels.

Only limited to iPhone at the initial launch. It is coming to other platforms and devices.

I’m very curious about this. My guess is that they will be mostly recordings of live concerts that haven’t been released commercially.

Not even Apple can conjure up missing metadata for 50 million albums in months. They can’t even handle all support by paid staff simply because there are not enough people to do it, and have to rely on community volunteers like everyone else

I just did and for much of my music they are missing just like in Roon, most likely because they all use the same upstream metadata providers where the info is just not there.
Actually, looking closer, there is still much more missing than in Roon (which was a reason why I started using Roon to begin with)

1 Like

They can do as well as Tidal, to start. if they wanted.

The labels clearly have the data (they’ve provided to Tidal).

As good as Tidal is not good enough because like I just wrote, Tidal doesn’t, so clearly the labels don’t either. Will depend on what you listen to just like in Roon, but that’s my situation. And in Roon I can add it, in Tidal I can’t

Yes it’s not perfect for me either but it’s better than all the rest.

Room for improvement - gotta start somewhere…

Which brings us back to not even Apple can do it, certainly not in months. Or maybe they could if they used some of their money to build a huge metadata task force, but they won’t.

It’s easier for major label releases that had some success and the label is more diligent and/or the communities like MusicBrainz already did the work. I suppose that if Deutsche Grammophon does a Karajan box set, they will put some work into it.

But even for current major releases I find editing errors in the public metadata databases all the time.

It’s harder for indies where the label maybe went bankrupt 40 years ago, nobody ever cared much about posteriority including the musicians at the time because it all happened in a wild rush (and the release cover says “Frank on bass” etc), and any info is buried on individual fan sites or in paper fanzines from the eighties if it exists at all (my situation; and at least for me, the info in Roon although with many gaps is way better than in Tidal)

I don’t know why you put so much trust in the labels, not my experience at all. They don’t even bother to keep original master tapes safe. Though it does depend on the individual label of course.

1 Like

I refer to what is there in Tidal.

I see and use it everyday.

Obviously I am listening to more popular music.

So you will have different gripes to me.

Apple could very quickly and easily do what Tidal do - but it obviously wouldn’t satisfy you.

We don’t need to keep going in circles on this :slight_smile:

Well I’ma classical fan. What Total did is just the tip of the iceberg…

in fact there was an article on some site about hire record studios are getting worse when it comes to metadata

I don’t see the incentive for labels to bother about accurate metadata. That would mean proper acknowledgement for all contributors, which may mean money owed. You can’t pay someone who wasn’t credited. It’s the artists and studio technicians whose interests are best served by accurate metadata, but what do they do about it?

3 Likes

Me too. 2017 iMac, 16GB, 2 TB hard drive. I don’t run any processor-heavy applications. Just net surfing, Quicken, and a couple games. Works great and I know if I have a problem I can take it to the Apple Store. Sometimes Roon starts hogging memory so I just kill it and and start fresh.

PS. I should add that I have four zones (two Apple TVs and a HomePod) but I don’t use them much so it never really gets a workout.

Now Apple classical will be out end of March 23 I expect the great search criteria of the former Primephonic is maintained in the new Apple classic

1 Like

The new Apple clasical is based in the former Primephonic which was created by clasical music professionals, it means not just searching albums but allowing search for period type of music composers and works
It could be done by roon itself if in the metadata base there are all those data incorporated , independently of data of the albums and after can be search and relaciones with albums data
It is like a classical enciclopedia of author, woks, type of music, period, country all those in a data base to be relaciones in the relational data base, with album metadata
I believe Roon can implement it
Let see if the new Apple classical have kept the former Primephonic concept

3 Likes

Do you mean “beyond reproach”?

1 Like

Yes I was struck by the unfortunate irony of that as well :joy:

3 Likes

Soon Apple will launch Apple Music Classical - a new app designed for classical music. It’s content knowledge will come from Primephonic. It will also include deep metadata in a Roon-like form.

I do not expect any form of integration between Apple Music and Roon, to be honest.

3 Likes

There’s a topic on this, for those that wish to discuss the pros and cons of this new App in detail …

1 Like

Arthur…thanks for catching my error…you are correct!

That’s simply not accurate. Apple would still be able to collect data from Roon