Newbie Questions re iTunes on NAS

Hi Guys,

Love what ROON does for my music collection! Thanks.

A couple of questions.

1. I am using a Synology NAS to store my iTunes media files. iTunes itself runs on my MacPro. To connect ROON to my NAS should I do it as a watched folder or as an iTunes Library link.

2. Is it normal for ROON to rescan my iTunes library when starting the program. I have about 40,000 songs and it takes 10 minutes or so.

Thanks for your help.

Hi @David_Doerfer ----- Thank you for the feedback and the kind words, glad you’ve been enjoying the roon experience :sunglasses:

Can you give me some deatails about your current setup, so I have a better idea of what you are working with?

In regard to your use of iTunes with roon, are you trying to import any itunes generated playlists into roon? We’re aware of some issues with itunes integration that we are hoping to fix for the next release.

Thanks!
-Eric

Hi Eric

I am running Roon on my Mac Pro. The Mac is a late 2013 model (the round/cylinder one) has a SSD and 32 GB of RAM. It is a 3.7 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon E5. This is connected to my network via ethernet cabling. The NAS is a synology 1512+ and is connected via ethernet cabling to my network.

Currently Roon is set up to seem my music using the iTunes Library link in your Settings / Storage section. Yes - I would like playlists to come through. Every time I restart Roon it takes 20 minutes or so to scan the iTunes files. The Storage tab says the files are imported but it scans the whole lot again and while this is happening Roon is unresponsive to playing music etc. See picture.

Thanks!

Hi @David_Doerfer ---- Thank you for the follow up and the feedback. Both are appreciated! I would like to grab some logs from you and will be dropping you a PM with instructions shortly.

Also out of curiosity, how many playlists would like to move over to roon from iTunes? If it is only a few, I have a method that I can show you fairly easily. It takes a little bit of leg work but nothing THAT arduous. Let me know :slight_smile:

-Eric