NUC11TNHi3000 8GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

HUAWEI WiFi AX2 router

Connected Audio Devices

Samsung HW-Q950A Soundbar using AirPlay

Number of Tracks in Library

20596 tracks

Description of Issue

The soundbar is visible in Roon on the Audio devices list and it can be enabled correctly. No information like passcode or similar is requested when enabling. Once enabled it shows up on the available devices list. If I click on it, it’s selected and I can play music with no errors showing on Roon. On the soundbar I see the WiFi input being being selected and the volume control works correctly when adjusting it from Roon. BUT there is no sound. There are no indications of anything going wrong like messages or any other symptoms. I’ve seen older posts, e.g. https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-connects-to-samsung-hw-q950a-but-no-sound/216796 but they were closed without an answer. Also some tips on the KB regarding Apple TV aren’t applicable because the soundbar configuration app does not have any AirPlay settings. Help is needed.

1 Like

I have the same problem on a Samsung HW Q930 soundbar. If I play Tidal or Spotify via their respective app and via Airplay on the soundbar, everything works as it should. Does anyone have a solution for this “problem”?

There is no support for AirPlay 2 (and Samsung lists AirPlay 2 support only) in Roon and it seems that more and more implementations of AirPlay 2 in recent consumer products omit compatibility to the original AirPlay.
As was already pointed out in the thread linked in the first post, you can setup Roon to play to a compatible Apple product and activate AirPlay audio sharing on this device should you have such a device.

Thank you BlackJack. I’m not a user of any Apple products, I wasn’t aware there were two versions of the protocol. Finally an answer to the cause of the problem. But the obvious question for Roon Labs is, will there be support for AirPlay2 in Roon in the near future?

AirPlay (2) is a trademark, protocol, intellectual property of Apple. If they want to keep the server part to themself, nothing will happen in any future. You should probably ask Apple about their plans for the future? Many related forum threads already exist. A small subset of them:

I’m sure you can find more or other users may point them out here.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.