Now playing some sweet Soul, R&B and Funk

1 Like

Here is the beauty of Roon:
If youā€™ve got Qobuz check out their playlist: Funky Horns: the best brass sections. (under Playlists/Focus)

What jumped off of that one was Maceo Parkerā€™s ā€œPass the Peasā€ which has already been posted on this thread. Loved that album and started going through Maceo Parkerā€™s Appearances (71). Those wind their way through a ton of great P-funk bands and James Brown, of course. But he also worked with diverse artists like 10,00 Maniacs, Prince, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.
In his Bio it discusses work with Keith Richards (also hyper-linked) which led to several great albums. Iā€™m listening to his most recent now.
What a way to discover music.

3 Likes

Bobby Oroza, retro soul from Finland.

1 Like

Danish lady Mekdes. Great voice and track!

1 Like

The most soulful whistling Iā€™ve ever heardā€¦ amazing. So good, I had to laugh and shake my head.

Laughing because I tried to do it and failed so miserably.

RoonShareImage-636891512590025270

1 Like

Gorgeous production.

RoonShareImage-636891532203579270

2 Likes

Soulful Jazz

RoonShareImage-636891539079777740

1 Like

I was really nervous during first ~30 secondsā€¦ because this is a modern Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis classicā€¦

But then the funk really kicked in and my foot started tapping away :grin:

He kept some of the key classic original elements but very much also put his own unique flavour on it.

Love it.

RoonShareImage-636891540334341190

1 Like

RoonShareImage-636891546676241490

1 Like

Donā€™t know why a 62 year old guy (me) should love Disclosure so much. My wife got in my car the other day and asked ā€œIs this all you listen to?ā€.
I love Settle. I donā€™t think there is any way you can twist that album into this thread, but I just tried.

2 Likes

Disclosure can (should) be enjoyed at any age Scott! Kudos.

Oh thatā€™s easy - Soulful Electronic :grin:

Pretty sure Iā€™ve posted a couple Settle tracks somewhere on this thread. One of my fav albums.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Auto-tune is a total debacle; prove me wrong

Funk%20Brothers
Thank you Mel for telling me about these guys.

1 Like

Good Jazz Funk is not just Nils Landgren :grinning:

3 Likes

You should also check this thread out for everything electronic :slight_smile:
Then you will have the car for yourself :sunglasses:
Iā€™ve discovered som much new/old music with my fellow Rooners!

2 Likes

Will do Jan! Thank you.
Roon is magnificent. I found Disclosure via the ā€œDubstepā€ tag on James Blake. Never heard of that genre.
Iā€™ve always loved Everything But The Girl and was always looking for something to take their place (if that could be done). I was reading Tracey Thornā€™s Bio and ran across Romy Croft of The XX. Love them!
Kudos to people like Sean who put so much effort into curating threads like this. Itā€™s priceless.

2 Likes

Oh this is a classic I havenā€™t heard in a while! Thanks for the prompt.

I dunno about ā€˜curatingā€™ lol. Just sharing what Iā€™m listening to, as I go along. Plenty of other people with so many great recommendations here too.

And yes, big up to @jaguoneā€™s electronic thread! Iā€™m always discovering gems over there.

1 Like

1 Like

We were in a restaurant in Opatija, Croatia (Valle Losca) for a long lunch a couple years ago. They played Barry Whiteā€™s ā€œCanā€™t Get Enough of Your Loveā€ continuously the whole time we were there. I asked the waiter ā€œwhatā€™s up with Barry White?ā€. He simply said, ā€œthe owner likes this songā€.

The old ones endure for a reason.

2 Likes