NUC internal storage

Right, then last ditch effort…

That article I referred you to has a last line referring to a Windows registry entry to try.

You need to open the Windows Registry Editor. Be very careful with this - mistakes can be fatal.

Right click the Windows Icon at the bottom left of the task bar, or select the windows key + r

Within the run box, type “regedit.msc” and then open the Registry editor.

You need to navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\

If there is no AllowInsecureGuestAuth parameter shown, you will need to create it:

• rightclick on “Parameters” in the Navigation pane, and choose New DWORD

Type in AllowInsecureGuestAuth into the field (note the Uppercase and Lowercase - type exactly as shown) and then press Enter to create the parameter.

Then rightclick on the parameter and select Modify…

Roon 2264

Enter 1 as the Value data and press OK

Roon 2265

Close the Registry Editor, reboot Windows and cross your fingers.

I don’t think I have enough confidence to try this.

OK - I understand.

Just one last thing, in Windows File Explorer, can you click the Network icon in the Navigation pane and show us a screenshot of what is displayed in the Contents pane? Thanks.

c’mon guys, great effort, but does it really need to be this hard? Something is wrong here, I’m not sure what, but it really shouldn’t be this tricky.

While I wonder about his network setup, the fact that Microsoft has turned off guest access in Windows recently does mean that it is an avenue to follow, and unfortunately Microsoft has not provided us with a simple on/off switch…

Does this work?

Enable SMB1 to make file sharing work…

1. Goto Control panel ➤ Apps and Features ➤ Programs and Features ➤ Turn Windows Features on or off
  2. Check SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and click OK to apply.

Yup - might work. Didn’t want to suggest it because it’s SMBv1 and deprecated, and Roon OS supports SMBv2/v3

it shouldn’t be this hard - but for some reason it is :frowning:

I have heard this stated a few times on this forum and others - but I have never experienced it.

As @Geoff_Coupe has said, this may work - but it shouldn’t be necessary and, on Windows 10, it should already be done. The SMB1.0/CIFS components are installed by default on Windows 10 (unlike Windows 11 where they are ommitted by default).

Caviat: With respect to default installed components, I am talking from experience - but my experience is limited to Windows 10 Professional and Windows 11 Professional. I’m not so sure about the state of Window Home editions - but I would not imagine that they would be different in respect of this.

The main difference between Home and Professional editions of Windows with respect to networking is that Professional edition support Domains and all that goes with that (which is rarely used on home networks).

How about this one?

Um - that’s what we first tried, without success apparently…

1 Like

That article refers to specific editions of Windows

Whilst we can’t be sure because there is no direct evidence either way in this thread, it is unlikely to apply here where @Don_Gilbert is inexperienced with Windows and will thus, almost certainly be using Windows 10 Home (or possibly Windows 10 Professional) because those are the Windows editions that came pre-installed on PC’s.

As I stated above, I have never had that issue on Windows 10/11 Professional.

1 Like

Found my Storage…This problem is solved.

3 Likes

What did you do to fix it?

Daniel (Rugby) had some free time and could step me through it, and I could find my memory storage.

1 Like

Kudos to @Rugby

Wade,

Thanks for all of your help…It is really appreciated

And @Geoff_Coupe

Absolutely Geoff as well, THANK YOU

Not all hero’s wear capes. Glad you got it sorted.

It worked, but now there is a red “x” on the data.