Nucleus audio to Bower Wilkins formation duo loudspeakers

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon version 1.7 build (537), roon os 1.0, iOS 13.4.1 iPad Pro .

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Orbi Pro netgear SSR 60, on wifi.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Bower Wilkins formation duo, roon Ready.

Description Of Issue

Roon core is set up on nucleus rev B, try to play from my iPad to Bower wilkins formation duo.
Bower wilkins are setup and choosen. Streaming shows on roon iOS app, but no Sound comes. AirPlay do not work.

Please help.

Thank You very much in advance.
Yours faithfully
Frederik Likaj

Hi @Frederik_Taso_Likaj,

Are you able to successfully start playback to the iPad internal speakers and the B&W are the only zone affected by this issue? Do you have the latest firmware installed on the B&Ws?

Is there any change in behavior if you try to temporarily use Ethernet?

You should also be aware that this router mode is on our list of routers with special settings needed, please see Networking Best Practices Guide:

Netgear Orbi Routers

If you’re making use of an Orbi router, we recommend unchecking Disable IGMP Proxying in your router’s settings. This setting can interfere with the ability for Roon Remotes to connect to the Roon Core.

Thank You very much for your reply with helping suggestions.

Everything is working fine now.

I am just wondering if this is as it should be.

1. Bower Wilkins formation audio roon Ready streaming media box.
  2. Bower Wilkins formation duo loudspeakers roon Ready.

Under Bower home app on my iPad Pro 12,9’’ 3- gen, iOS 13.4.1
both are shown on location “Stuen”

Music is playing fine from roon to loudspeakers.

On settings audio i have this.

So i can se my audio formation under roon Ready.

On the signal path playing a CD album i have this.

The question is:

1. Should’nt i see the formation duo loudspeakers too under roon Ready ?
  2. Should’nt i see formation duo loudspeakers as output device on signal path ?

So it’s not fine now?

Hi @Frederik_Taso_Likaj,

According to the signal path, it looks like you’re using the Roon Ready output, which is good. When you are using this output, does the system work as expected, or could you please clarify what the issue is?

No issue at all.

I just do not know how to put it.

As You say the streaming go with roon RAAT to my formation audio streaming box and from there to my formation duo loudspeakers.

Both formation audio and formation duo are roon Ready.

Strange enough i Can only see formation audio in roon Ready under settings audio.

If i switch off my formation audio, i can stream directly to formation duo loudspeakers.

I bought formation audio only to stream Sound from my ps3 when playing CD or with line in to get Sound from my TV to formation duo loudspeakers.

Off course formation audio Can stream roon Ready to formation duo.

But is this the best way to stream from roon nucleus instead of streaming directly to formation duo loudspeakers?

Music streams fine as You say.

Hello @Frederik_Taso_Likaj,

If the Formation Duo and Formation Audio are in the same “Room” in the Formation App setup, the Formation Audio will become the “Master” device for the zone and hide the Formation Duos from other streaming protocols. This is by design, the Formation Audio can be seen as the “Control Unit” for the Duo’s in this setup.

-John

Thank You John.

Is it better in terms of sound quality (or any advantages) to stream directly to formation duo loudspeakers from roon nucleus instead of streaming from nucleus to formation audio end to formation duo ( as it is the case with my settings)?

To the best of my knowledge there should be no difference in the sound quality between the two options. However, I recommend reaching out to B&W as they would be best positioned to answer this question.

-John

Dear John,

Thank You for your answer.
I have contacted Bower Wilkins.
They direct me to the shop where i have bought their products.
The shop cannot tell me the answer.
I will be very pleased if You could contact Bower Wilkins on my behalf.
It is after all a roon related question to Bower Wilkins product.

Yours faithfully
Frederik Likaj

No problem, we will reach out and clarify with Bowers & Wilkins.

-John

Hello John,

I am still waiting for a clarifing.

Frederik Likaj

Hi
I’m also curious to find out :slight_smile:

Hello John,

I am still waiting for a clarifing.

Frederik Likaj

Now we are two waiting a clarifing.

Hello @Frederik_Taso_Likaj and @Dominik_Leko,

We did not hear back from Bowers when we originally asked the question. We will follow up with them now.

-John

I’m worried with the lack of updates from Bowers for their Formation suite… beginning to think they already have given up on Formation

sound united has finalized their acquisition/takeover of bowers & wilkins.

‘The company owns the HEOS multi-room audio technology that could be built into Bowers & Wilkins Formation range of wireless speakers. This would inject life to a product lineup that’s been struggling to gain a foothold in the market. With HEOS onboard, B&W wireless speakers could work with Marantz and Denon audio gear to play music all around the home.’

Hi Frederik. I have a pair of Formation Duos and I plan to complete my system with a Formation Audio. Did you get any response to your question? Did you notice any difference in sound quality when Roon streams to the Audio and then the Audio streaming back to the Duos? Your help would be much appreciated as this is a very important question for me before buying the Audio.

Best regards
skbe

Hi John. By any chance did you have a feedback from BW on this question?