Nucleus HDMI to Lyngdorf MP-60

Hi, great to hear Nucleus+ HDMI multi channel audio is working.

Unfortunately it does not work for me - Nucleus+ running Roon 1.8 and all latest updates.

Would appreciate a screen dump of your device settings (incl. advanced tab).

My receiver is a Lyngdorf MP-60.
Cannot get any audio format to work over HDMI (tried output A and B on Nucleus+ Rev. B).

Thanks in advance for any help.

My settings

Change your channel layout to 7.1 or whatever you want. Don’t leave it 2.0. That should fix your problem. You see that selection in your settings.

Thanks for your quick response!

I tried 7.1 again without luck.
Have tried basically all combinations, as well as different certified HDMI cables.

I do not get any audio over HDMI at all…

Any idea on what I can try?

Hmmm. Not sure. I’m feeding a McIntosh MX160…… not sure if the the diff between the McIntosh and the Lyngdorf is an issue but shouldn’t be. I do note that my max bits per sample is set to 32. That may be an issue……

Here’s my device setup btw:

Lars has a Lyngdorf MP-60 - not an Anthem (that was the OP). The MP-60 tops out at 48 kHz and 16 bits I believe, so I think these settings are correct.

I have no idea why it’s not working, perhaps the question should be shifted across to the Support category to get Support involved…

Thanks for sharing

Are all DSP disabled? (the config below thd device setup on the menu)

Geoff, thanks for your comments.
Will try a few more combinations, and then go to support if still not working.

May also reach out to Lyngdorf - what are the critical questions to ask them? (i.e. your 48 kHz, 16 bit, DSP)

Well, you could ask them what the settings should be for an MP-60 - it is shown as being Roon Ready on the Roon Labs Partner page - but I notice that when I click on the MP-60 link there, I’m taken to the Lyngdorf page for the MP-60 2.1, which has a higher spec (≤192kHz/24bit). I also notice that that is for the eARC HDMI connection. Now that connection is for tying an AVR back to a TV, so I wonder if that is the issue here? Can this connection be used to connect to a source (the Nucleus HDMI connection)?

Yes, all DSP is disabled on this source.

Core Machine

Nucleus+ Rev. B

OS Version 1.0 (build 227) stable
Roon Labs Version 1.0 (build 12) stable
Roon Server Version 1.8 (build 795) stable

Network Details

Wired, fixed IP

Audio Devices

Working: Lyngdorf MP-60 and TDA-3400, SONOS, Chromecast - all on wired network
Not working: any HDMI devices incl. B&O TV, Dell monitor and Lyngdorf MP-60 - all trying HDMI

Library Size

Mostly FLAC on NAS, 150K tracks

Description of Issue

@support,
Cannot get HDMI A nor B to work on Nucleus+
All equipment says “no signal”.
Tried stereo and multi-channel, in multiple formats.
Tried different settings on both A and B - without luck.

Hello @Lars_Gjoerup1,

I’m very sorry we’ve missed your post for this long - I apologize for the delay.

Thank you for describing in detail the issue you ran into. I’ve looped in our technical team, so they can share their insight and make possible suggestions.

They’ll be in touch as soon as possible :nerd_face:

Hello @beka,

Thanks for looking into this.

Do you think the Nucleus+ might be defective (hardware), or is it a software issue (driver etc.)?

Should be a basic function to use HDMI as audio output.

Look forward to hear from you soon.

Best regards

Lars

If you restart the Nucleus with the Dell monitor connected via HDMI, with nothing else connected to the other HDMI port, do you see any text on the monitor?

1 Like

Hi Peter
I did that, and after reboot the RoonOS text was shown (for the first time).
Audio is now also working over the HDMI-A output from the Nucleus.

Thanks for the tip - used same cables and equipment, and now the HDMI link to Lyngdorf MP-60 is working.

However, it only works for PCM (FLAC, WAV) and multichannel incl. 5.1 and 7.1 are working.
When playing DSD materials on Roon (DSF DSD64) there are only low noise and no audio.
Have tried both the DSD playback of “DSD over PCM v1.0(DoP)” as well as “Initial dCS method” without success. When converting to PCM it is “working”.

The Lyngdorf is set to “PCM or Bitstream, multichannel” - but I have not been able to test if the DSD playback problem is caused by Roon/Nucleus or Lyngdor.

Conclusing, audio over HDMI-A is working from Nucleus+ for PCM, but not for DSD.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Lars

DSD over Nucleus (or ROCK) HDMI is not supported. They only support DSD via USB output.

Normal.

I do not see DSD listed in the specs or manual for MP-60, you may want to recheck the specs and the manual.

Let’s assume it’s like other Lyngdorf DSD-supported TDAI amplifiers, even if you manage to send DSD to Lyndorf using a different hardware (not Nucleus), those DSD-supported Lyngdorf models convert everything including DSD to 96kHz PCM internally anyway. Therefore it’s better for you to set Roon DSP Engine to convert all DSD to 96kHz PCM.

OK, noted thx.
To my understanding USB output from Roon does not support multichannel (so multichannel audio can be PCM only from Roon)?

Also thanks for looking up Lyngdorf details, I am checking with them as I have DSD from SACDs played on a BD-player, connected by HDMI to Lyngdorf.

Great that multichannel audio from my NAS server can be played back by Roon on the Lyngdorf via HDMI (now that the built-in “Roon Ready” internal player only supports stereo).

Hello Peter, sorry but I have to disagree with your comment “they only support DSD via USB”.

My NUC/ROCK with Roon Ready streamer DAC plays up to DSD256 Multi-channel files via Etherent.

Of course you’re correct when you include RAAT. I help write Roon Ready player firmware for a living. I meant physical output directly connected to the Roon Core.

OK, sorry, I overlooked the connection reference.