Nucleus+ not booting, shows boot error on HDMI1 monitor (ref#949QQG)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

Something else

How can we help?

I'm having trouble with my Nucleus hardware

What's happening with your Nucleus?

Nucleus won't turn on

Nucleus + will not boot - lights come on (power/network etc) and monitor on HDMI1 does not show boot screen - sometimes I get a boot error text.

Is the boot error text that you see this one:

This is a sign of a failing SSD.

Two questions:

• Is the unit still within the 2 year warranty period?
  • Did you buy it from a dealer or direct from Roon Labs?

Your answers will determine the next steps. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi jerry.trachtenberg,

Ben with the support team following up here - I wasn’t able to locate any account information based on your community profile. Are you still having issues with Roon or your Nucleus?

I’ll be on standby for your reply! :pray:

Thanks for your reply - sorry for my late reply but I did not receive a notice - But I am now setup.

This is not the error - in most cases all I get is a black screen (power led is on etc). A few times I got some sort of boot error but have not been able to repeat that.

This unit is older than 2 years and we bought it from dealer (GTT)

Ben

Yes I am still having issues. The account email was changed from Jerry Trachtenberg to Marc Trachtenberg (email removed by moderator.) a few weeks ago.

Two questions - If I have another SSD to replace it, what is process to reload the roon os etc?

Thanks

Marc

@Marc_Trachtenberg, I removed your email for safety and security reasons, but the support staff has it.

Sorry. You removed my email address in the post? I just added it so Ben could understand the change in account status. - thanks

i think you’re okay.

.sjb

1 Like

Yes, the Roon support team has it. We remove email addresses so they are not scraped by bots and used for bad purposes.

1 Like

Please read this post from @benjamin in which he gives the process steps.

Instead of buying 128gb SSD, can I use a 2TB SATA that I wanted to install in the unit. so that the SATA is both the boot drive and music storage? Thanks

No, the Nucleus and NUC systems cannot mix the OS and music library functions on the same drive… They must be separate drives when using Roon OS.

Thanks for your help. We will replace the 128Gb SSD and following details on reinstalling OS. Then add the SATA for music storage. regards Marc

1 Like

I have followed the instruction but get “Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key” - When I press key it simply repeats. The USB stick does blink when booting.

Also what is the latest BIOS for NUC7i7DNB installed in this Nuc+. Can not seem to find on Intel site.

Thanks

Marc

Re BIOS question - I found it. Need to go to ASUS to get latest.

Do NOT use an ASUS bios - it will likely brick your Nucleus. The Nucleus uses an earlier generation of Intel NUC boards, and an ASUS BIOS will almost certainly not be suitable.

It is not necessary to update the Nucleus BIOS in any case. Roon Labs have stated to follow the ROCK installation from step 3 of the ROCK Install guide - skipping the step to update the BIOS.

It may be that the USB stick has not been prepared correctly. What did you use? Etcher or Rufus? And what is the size of the USB stick?

It should not be necessary to enter the BIOS of the Nucleus to change any settings. Did you do this by accident?

Ok - missed that jump to step 3 instruction - I DID NOT do anything to the BIOS and did not use ASUS.

USB is 4GB - Used Etcher - All seemed to work fine