Nucleus Rev B - Roon Drop Outs and Slow Performance (ref#501I2V)

Affected Product

Nucleus

Nucleus Model

Nucleus Rev B

Description of Issue

I’m experiencing a lot of drop outs with Roon. ie the music stops playing and then restarts some 10 seconds later. Obviously it’s very annoying. Sometimes album covers fail to load and the whole system seems drastically slow. It doesn’t matter if the albums are streamed or ripped and stored on Nucleus. This is an intermittent problem. It happens when my VPN is on or off.

I have Roon app on Mac, iPad and iPhone and the problem occurs on all three.

Please can you point me in the right direction to remedy this?

RAM & Internal Storage

Samsung 870QVO 1TB

Connected Audio Devices

Naim Muso over Ethernet

Home Network Details

Vodafone Router connected by ethernet. Mac connected by ethernet. iPad & iPhone connected by wifi

Screenshot

Hey @Arthur_QA,

Thanks for taking the time to write in, and it’s good to see you on the community again. Could you please reproduce the issue and share the specific date, time and name of the track playing when the issue occurs?

Once you let me know this info, I’ll go ahead and enable diagnostics for your account so I can review the logging for clues.

If you’d rather do it yourself manually, please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks Ben. I have just uploaded the logs folder via your uploader.

I look forward to hearing more.

Hi @Arthur_QA,

Thanks for sending those over! A few follow-up questions for you to test:

1. Do you typically group airplay devices into a single zone? Can you reproduce this issue if you only play audio from a single airplay device?

2. I’m also curious if this issue is being caused by playback on devices using the Airplay 2 protocol - it doesn’t play nice with Roon. Can you check to see if you have any devices running Airplay 1, and test out reproducing this issue solely on Airplay 1 devices?

3. If possible, can you please create a fresh backup of your current database, and then disable your Qobuz library > perform a library clean up > then see if you can reproduce without Qobuz synced with your library? There seems to be a lot of heavy lifting and resource usage going into your Qobuz account, and I’m curious to see if it may be affecting playback in your case.

Let me know if yo have any additional questions, thanks Arthur! :pray:

Hi Ben,

In answer to your questions:

I don’t often group zones and the problem happens when just one zone playing.

I don’t know which Airplay I use.

This caused me awful problems!! I did a backup, disabled Qobuz, cleaned up the library (I do this fairly regularly anyway) and then ALL MY Qobuz albums disappeared!!! which I thought was a nightmare. But I restored from the Backup I’d done and they all reappeared but I initially had trouble logging in to Roon especially on iPad and iPhone where I had to delete the apps and re-download. Eventually it all seems to be working again. I don’t think I can reproduce the problem because it only happens intermittently. Fingers crossed it will work without a hitch from now.

Hello @Arthur_QA ,

Have you still been experiencing issues, or has Roon been working better since your last post?

Hi I was on the forum back in January when I was experiencing drop outs. All went well for a while but it’s started again. Roon stops playing or sometimes, when I try to play something, it looks like it’s playing but no sound from my Naim Uniti Atom.

Hi @Arthur_QA ,

I’ve merged your post with the previous thread.

Can you please let us know the exact local time + date + track when you next experience this behavior? Does the issue reproduce on multiple zones or just on the Uniti (for example playing to your iPad/iPhone internal speakers)?

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll try to make a note when it happens in future. The problem is it’s very intermittent. I usually play on my Naim Uniti, seldom on anything else.

Just having a problem right now.

I’m trying to play Let It Be Naked - see attached screenshot. The little blue bars to the left of the song title are moving up and down but the progress bar at the bottom isn’t moving and no sound is coming from my Uniti.

The same happens with other Naim devices but the somg is playing fine on my iMac!

Just tried playing Abbey Road on my Naim Uniti and it plays fine! See screenshot

I stopped playing Abbey Road to go and do something else. Come back to it now and it won’t play. See screenshot. It will play on iMac.

Hi @Arthur_QA,

Thanks for the additional info! We were able to take a closer look, and it appears to be an airplay-related issue specifically. Are you able to reproduce the issue when only streaming via Roon Ready outputs?

Roon Ready: Naim Audio - Uniti Atom [ Zone: Unnamed ]

Let me know, thanks!

Thanks Ben.

I’ve now got it to play on the Roon Ready Uniti Atom - so far without a problem. But now I can’t get it to play at all on Airplay devices - so it does indeed look like a problem with Airplay. How can I fix it? I saw a message somewhere that one needs to add Airplay devices to Apples Home app. I tried that but it doesn’t make any difference.

As I said I can play through the Uniti Atom on Roon Ready but I can’t play on that device through AirPlay. I don’t understand how the music gets there if not via AirPlay although all my devices are wired on Ethernet. How does the Roon Ready work?

Roon Ready devices use the RAAT protocol over ethernet - it’s a completely different protocol to AirPlay.

And there looks to be an issue with using AirPlay in Roon at the moment. A “fix” was introduced in build 1407 for it that only seems to have made matters worse for some. That may be what you are currently experiencing.

That seems to explain it all. Thanks. Hopefully Airplay will be back working soon.

Hey @Arthur_QA,

Thanks for all the additional info, and thank you @Geoff_Coupe for the help!

We’re still working on a fix, I’m hopeful things should be back to normal next week. :pray: