Oppo UDP-203 over HDMI as endpoint: multichannel and DSD don't work

Core Machine
4 year old Dell desktop running fully updated Win10

Remote Machine
6 month old Dell XPS-13 notebook fully updated Win10

networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)**
Unifi router, Oppo is on ethernet, notebook on very fast wifi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Oppo UDP-203 via HDMI

Problem:

I am attempting to play 5.1 audio over HDMI to Oppo player using FLAC and DSD files. I am not trying to avoid conversion of DSD to PCM

• If I use the “roon ready” version of the Oppo it always downmixes to 2-ch.
  • If I use the Oppo as an hdmi-connected system sound device configured for 5.1, all PCM files play fine, any attempt to play a DSD file results in “failed to initialize the audio device.” Roon and Oppo are both set to use PCM, both set to 5.1, Oppo is in exclusive mode, 192k/24 in both Roon and Windows.

Library Details:
Library is on Dell desktop mentioned above.

I think an Oppo 203 can only play DSD files from an attached USB drive or USB stick.

All this and more has already been discussed in the thread I linked.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Core Machine
4 year old Dell desktop running fully updated Win10

Remote Machine
6 month old Dell XPS-13 notebook fully updated Win10

networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)**
Unifi router, Oppo is on ethernet, notebook on very fast wifi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Oppo UDP-203 via HDMI

Problem:

I am attempting to play 5.1 audio over HDMI to Oppo player using FLAC and DSD files. I am not trying to avoid conversion of DSD to PCM

• If I use the “roon ready” version of the Oppo it always downmixes to 2-ch.
  • If I use the Oppo as an hdmi-connected system sound device configured for 5.1, all PCM files play fine, any attempt to play a DSD file results in “failed to initialize the audio device.” Roon and Oppo are both set to use PCM, both set to 5.1, Oppo is in exclusive mode, 192k/24 in both Roon and Windows. This configuration works fine in JRiver Media Center and Foobar2000.

Library Details:
Library is on Dell desktop mentioned above.

Questions:
Is it a official that the Roon-ready Oppo 203 cannot play multichannel?
Should Roon be able to play DSD mutlichannel from an Oppo 203 over HDMI?
In this scenario what causes a “failed to initialize the audio device?”

Hi @Alan_Watkins,

I have reopened this topic and tagged @support for you. Someone from the Roon team will reply when it reaches the top of their queue.

Yes, the Roon Ready (RAAT) network input [on the Oppo] is limited to 2 Channel (Stereo) PCM:

Disable Native DSD Processing.

Meanwhile, can you kindly post a screenshot of your full Device Setup in Roon for the multichannel endpoint? I’ve seen your error before and have fixed by modifying the setup for MCH.

But this presumes that the Oppo can do MCH, even as Roon Ready. I don’t have experience with the last gen Oppos, but I bet @mitr knows. What DAC or multichannel processor or receiver is your HDMI from the Oppo connected to? JCR

Multichannel requires HDMI.

Oppo Roon Ready is stereo only as stated in the official responses posted above twice.

1 Like

???
I thought you have one of those (UDP-203) so you should have first-hand experience.

No, it’s @Alan_Watkins, who posed the question above, that has the Oppo 203. JCR

I’m sorry about that mistake of mine.

Hello @Alan_Watkins ,

As others have noted, multichannel is only possible on the HDMI input, Roon Ready is limited to 2 channels.

Are you able to play these DSD files on other inputs, for example the Dell to a TV or AVR?

I’ve used both the Oppo disc player and a Denon AVR. It’s only the Oppo that Roon objects to. Either one works with FooBar and JRiver Media center.

Hi @Alan_Watkins ,

Can you reproduce the issue, note the exact local time + date of occurrence and send me your Roon and RAATServer logs for review by using these instructions?

I have sent them.

My Oppo UDP-203 plays multichannel DSD files stored on my NAS over WiFi with no problem (no HDMI or USB involvement), but as a Roon endpoint is limited to stereo. Moreover, the processing power for Roon to convert these files to PCM and go from 5.1 to 2.0 is significant (processing speed generally down to 2.0x). It would be great if Oppo/Roon could figure out a way for me to use Roon to play multichannel DSD files on my Oppo UDP-203.