Physical Master Roon Volume Control Available/Possible?

Hi all. I have finally adopted Roon for whole house audio using RaaT and have a heterogenous setup including an MSB Premier DAC, 2 B&W Formation Wedge speakers, and a Bluesound Mini 2i.

Everything works great and each endpoint has a particular unique volume in relation to all the others and it works very well.

What I’m looking for is the ability to control the whole system’s volume (and mute functionality) from somewhere physical other than the master volume control from within the Roon app. Obviously each endpoint’s volume control or app only controls that respective endpoint or type of unit.

Is there a way to map the master Roon volume control to some kind of physical remote?

Hi Robert,

there have been some efforts to do that in the Tinkering Section. If you want I can move your post there

If that makes the most sense, please!

I’d love to use the Lutron AudioPico control if possible. Does anybody have any ideas on how to integrate this?

http://www.lutron.com/audiopico

Lutron seems to have f*** up their web site really good with geo-IP filters. I can’t even get to their European site - from Europe.
With a proxy (Thor - and possibly an American IP) I could see the content. Nice units for the purpose. Let’s hope someone has the solution for you! Shouldn’t be too hard as Roon has API access for many functions.

EDIT: site is working today so it must have been some temporary error

This is theoretically possible, though requires custom programming. If you have the Lutron Caseta Smart Bridge Pro, it’s possible to use the telnet integration interface to listen for button pushes, and then do things in Roon using the API based on those button pushes. Has nothing to do with having the Sonos Pico; you can do it with any old Pico.

I don’t use Pico button presses to control Roon (I use USB knobs that show up as keyboards), but I do use Picos with this custom script to control HomeKit scenes – same idea, you’re welcome to use the integration code: https://github.com/Joegratz/scenesetter

I would like to see the Senic Nuimo control. Not cheap, but an excellent and premium way to control volume settings without touching the app.

1 Like

Even better! That remote looks awesome!

You may be interested in this thread, which discusses a few other physical knob options: Roon Integration with Nuimo Control?

I like to let you know that I have published a Respberry Pi image for the Microsoft Surface Dial

I use it since some weeks now and I can’t imagine having to do without it again. Hope this is also a useful extension for you.

It is compatible with any Roon Ready playback device and with the roon bridge. You don’t need a Windows PC and it also works with Roon Nucleus.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for creating this!

Question: Can I use multiple Dials and link them to different devices and/or groups?

I would like to have several throughout my house and for some to control single Roon endpoints while others control the entire multi-room group. Is this possible and how would I configure it?

1 Like

Hi Robert,
here is something new maybe of your interest…

roo6D - The wireless high-end physical volume knob for Roon - Audio Products - Roon Labs Community

Best Charly

Senic Nuimo for Roon is now supported by rooExtend!

See https://rooExtend.com and be amazed :+1: :grinning: :+1:

1 Like

And I just bought a SpaceMouse. It hasn’t arrived yet. I can send it back. Is this device a better option?

Robert,
not if you like it.

They all are different, Surface Dial the most unexpensive choice, SpaceMouse the most technical and reliable choice and Nuimo as High-End but very expensive.

With Nuimo there is not so much more functionality. The display and the preprogrammed radio and playlist. Is it worth the price. Probably not. It is a device for design oriented lovers of super expensive and good looking devices.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

It appears the Numio is out of stock anyways right now.

I have not made any upgrades to the RooExtend device since the custom 1.1.1 version you sent me which corrected the volume control issues I was having (MSB DAC increments in 1dB while my Bowers and Wilkins speakers increment in 0.1 dB).

If I upgrade to the latest RooExtend so I can use the SpaceMouse, will there be any issues or did you incorporate the fix or an option for the dB increments in the newer versions?

Robert,
all this in the newest version.

Here I posted two links where to buy the Nuimo.
rooNuimo – best Roon controller ever - Audio Products - Roon Labs Community

Best DrCWO

1 Like

Fantastic. Can I use all 3 types of units (one each) with one single Raspberry Pi?