Playback errors and stopped playback on Roon with Synology server and Cambridge CXNv2 (ref#9KAGN2)

Affected Product

Roon

Roon Issue Category

Playback

Description of Issue

Too many errors Playback stopped

Roon Server Platform

Linux (NAS/SonicTransporter/Antipodes/Ubuntu/etc.)

Linux Server Type

Synology

Roon Server Specifications

Synology DS1621xs Roon-Server by Christopher Rieke Version 20220216

Connected Audio Devices

Cambridge CXNv2 (7a)

Home Network Details

Ethernet

Screenshot

Hello @Michael_Herzog and welcome to the forum.

Is it only MP3 playback that fails? Does FLAC work? Did you install the ffmpeg codec into RoonServer on your NAS?

Installation instructions are given on the project’s homepage.

Hello BlackJack,

thank you for the answer,

The error only occurs with mp3 files. I have no idea how

to install ffmpg on my synology. I am not that familiar with linux…

i don’t get the Installation instructions given on the project’s homepage.

best regards

Michael

And here the enclosed link as you can’t click it on the above picture: John Van Sickle - FFmpeg Static Builds

Hello,

I have already installed Christopher Rieke’s server, what I can’t do is
to install the binaries of ffmpeg from JohnVanSickle
how and where can I find this folder? << Your selected database location >> / RoonOnNAS / bin

best regards
Michael

Appendix: Adding support for additional audio codecs (like AAC…)
Roon Server relies on ffmpeg for different audio codecs. Synology has a preinstalled ffmpeg binary already preinstalled on their system. Unfortunately it does not cover all audio codecs, that are required for Roon Server and due to licensing uncertainty, I am not able to have it bundled in the installation.
However I have implemented a way to provide it manually. Binaries of ffmpeg can be downloaded from JohnVanSickles website. You’ll need the amd64 version for Roon Server on the diskstation.
Extract the tar.xz archive and copy the ffmpeg from the extracted files folder into
<< Your selected database location >> / RoonOnNAS / bin
Then restart Roon Server in the package center.

On your NAS, a sub-folder of the folder you instructed RoonServer to install your Roon database into.
Connect to the share from your desktop computer (or maybe Synology also provides a file browser in its web-frontend).

When I installed the Roon server, no directory was queried, so I don’t know where
it was installed on the DS21621xs and what the directory is called, so that doesn’t help.

Which somehow sounds strange and contradictory to what the package creator wrote on the project’s homepage. Maybe take a backup of your current installation, then delete it and start all over again? Read aslo:

Especially:

The database shared folder can only be set during initial installation. If you’d like to use a different database location, you’ll need to uninstall and install the app again. The uninstallation process does not touch the current database.
To move your database to a new shared folder (or usb/esata volueme), I’d recommend to create a backup within Roon first and restore it when the new database shared folder has been set.

PS: I don’t have Synology and QNAP works a little bit different IIRC. Maybe a Synology user may chime in and be able of more help?

hello, i deinstalled Roon on my Synology and installed it again using a shared folders called “Roon-Server” where the Database is stored amd “Music” where all my Music is stored.
now Roon inports all the data to the location and after that i hope i can copy ffmpeg to the Folder “Roon-Server”

looks good so far the new backup has been restored everything is running
thank you very very much for your help :+1:

Unfortunately, I can no longer delete anything from my Roon database
which acess rights i have to provide now?

Use the information from the post above to check. From the words of the package author though, you should not need to change anything as setup wizard already set the correct rights for your selected music folder.

ok now it works, i provide the internal Roon-Server read/write access on my music folder
now i can delete albums thank you

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.