Playback not working via RME HDSPe MADI FX/PCIe [resolved with exclusive mode]

Your driver for the RME HDSPe MADI FX is refusing to play the stream.

For example:

05/28 16:42:03 Info: [RME HDSPe MADI FX] [zoneplayer] Queueing: I:\My Music\Sigh Of Relief\The Dark Surround\03 Goodbye Message.m4a
05/28 16:42:03 Info: [audio/env] [zoneplayer] All streams were disposed
05/28 16:42:03 Info: [RME HDSPe MADI FX] [zoneplayer]     Open Result (Playing):Result[Status=Success]
05/28 16:42:03 Info: [RME HDSPe MADI FX] [zoneplayer] Starting playback
05/28 16:42:03 Trace: [RME HDSPe MADI FX] [zoneplayer/raat] StartStream Sooloos.Broker.Transport.RaatZonePlayer+Endpoint: StreamFormat(channels=2, bitspersample=24, samplerate=48000, isdts=False) => StreamFormat(channels=2, bitspersample=24, samplerate=48000, isdts=False) streamid=500021442
05/28 16:42:03 Trace: [RME HDSPe MADI FX] [raatclient] SENT [7]{"request":"setup","format":{"sample_type":"pcm","sample_rate":48000,"bits_per_sample":24,"channels":2,"sample_subtype":"none"}}
05/28 16:42:03 Info: [RME HDSPe MADI FX] [zoneplayer] Open result (Queueing): Result[Status=Success]
05/28 16:42:03 Info: [zone RME HDSPe MADI FX] OnPlayFeedback Playing
05/28 16:42:03 Debug: Lastfm 'N2vzCfzkM-wpIElznn72IuEV-0ZYAyKe' START: Sigh Of Relief - The Tranquility Sequence 
05/28 16:42:03 Trace: [RME HDSPe MADI FX] [raatclient] GOT [7] {"status":"UnexpectedError","message":"RAAT__OUTPUT_PLUGIN_STATUS_FORMAT_NOT_SUPPORTED"}
05/28 16:42:03 Warn: [RME HDSPe MADI FX] [zoneplayer/raat] failed to setup any endpoints..giving up
05/28 16:42:03 Info: [audio/env] [zoneplayer -> stream] All streams were disposed
05/28 16:42:03 Info: [audio/env] [zoneplayer -> stream -> endpoint] All streams were disposed
05/28 16:42:03 Info: sleep 0ms after flush
05/28 16:42:03 Warn: [zone RME HDSPe MADI FX] Track Stopped Due to Error
05/28 16:42:03 Info: [zone RME HDSPe MADI FX] OnPlayFeedback StoppedEndOfMediaUnnatural
05/28 16:42:03 Debug: [zone RME HDSPe MADI FX] _Advance

That RAAT__OUTPUT_PLUGIN_STATUS_FORMAT_NOT_SUPPORTED is the playback engine getting an error from your audio driver saying that it canā€™t get the driver to play 48khz/24bit for some reason.

You will have to tell us a lot more about your audio setup, including driver information, if things ever worked, if any other software works or doesnā€™t, what formats play or donā€™t play, etcā€¦

Thanks for your reply, @danny

I am using the latest driver for the RME HDSPe madi fx card.

Iā€™ve been using this same PCIe sound interface since I bought my Roon lifetime membership (early 2018), and, itā€™s always worked. Iā€™ve only had this problem since updating to Roon 1.8. Presently, I have no problem playing audio on any other program (iTunes works, the Tidal app works, Chrome works, VLC works, iZotope RX works, Windows, in general, isnā€™t having any issues).

In Roon, Iā€™ve tried playing Tidal files and ALAC and MP3 files from my library, and none of these formats work.

@danny I should also mention that it doesnā€™t matter what sample rate I set my madi fx card, the playback still does not work (Iā€™ve tried 44/48/96).

quick ideaā€¦ does Roon Bridge work on it?

14 posts were split to a new topic: Roon canā€™t connect to Core [resolved: firewall issues]

Iā€™m glad to hear that disabling this helped, @Adam_Casey.

Make sure that both Avast and Windows Defender Firewall have exceptions in for Roon/RoonServer and RAATServer.

Now, for the playback on the Core itself. Is it possible to disable or uninstall the RME HDSPe madi fx card temporarily and just use default Windows audio drivers? I know this is not an ideal long-term solution, but at the moment this is what stands out as the thing that makes your setup different from the vast majority of others. If we can confirm it works without it, at least then we can know for sure that this is where we need to focus our efforts.

1 Like

Roonbridge does work on the Roon core, but, does not help with the playback issue.

Hi Dylan,

Audio playback works on different audio drivers, but not on the RME HDSPe Madi fx card.

regards,

Adam

Maybe have a look at the sample rate / word clock settings in the RME device configuration panel. I do not know if that always uses a fixed sample rate / external word clock or whether it is allowed to switch rates on demand from whatever app is controlling it. At the very least, ensure the clock is set to internal.

Also, not sure if that interface includes totalmix, however on mine total mix displays the current sample rate in the title bar.
Also which driver are you using?

My RME UFX seems to switch sample rate on demand, so it works fine with Roon.

Also which driver are you using? WASAPI or ASIO? I use ASIO with my UFX.

Perhaps try enabling sample rate conversion in Roon.

Hi Adam,

Sample Rate settings have never been an issue in Roon (in my experience, it either dithers up or down, depending on which sample rate I have the interface set to). And yes, I use the internal clock (I use MADI to send to two Orion 32 units for 64 analog I/O: this is a recording studio computer that is the Roon core).

I am using the RME PCIe Madi FX driver in WASAPI mode.

I have tried enabling sample rate conversion in Roon and it didnā€™t have an effect on my problem.

@dylan - is there any way for me to roll back to a previous verison of Roon? I never had an issue like this in previous versions.

@danny @dylan - Oh my God! Iā€™ve finally got it working. System Output will not operate. I have to manually choose one of my RME stereo outputs (WASAPI), which, still leads to the same problem/error (Iā€™d tried that before), but, if I set it to Exclusive Mode, it works! Just a heads up: the integration with my RME soundcard is awful. Every output is labelled the same in Roon (I have 100s of outputs) and, I have to cycle through one at a time to figure out the output I want. I have to do this at each sample rate (I will sometimes play at 44/48/96). I just spent about 2 hours setting 3 outputs. I use a lot of different audio software, and, Roon is the only one that is this unfriendly when naming my outputs. Anyway, problem finally solved.

I have the same issue with the WASAPI drivers for my RME UFX - 15 drivers called RME UFX - not helpful (Must be a nightmare is the same approach is taken with your card as that has vastly more channels). It would really help if the channel pair could be appended to the name (1+2, 3+4, AES ā€¦ etc), but this could be something that needs to be directed at RME and is a large part of why I use the ASIO drivers.

The problem I tend to find is Roon does not really seem setup for ideal working with multi-channel professional audio interfaces and likewise, such interfaces are sometimes not so well suited for hifi player use. Its a shame - a really handy thing with Roon and having it outputting via the UFX while my DAW is running is being able to quickly find and listen to similar material to give me a listening references when mixing / mastering etc.

Anyway - good that you have solved this.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.