Playing with Parametric EQ and Room Correction

So I have had a bit of fun trying the low / high shelf filters lately . Have had Roon for years but hadn’t bothered until now and I can see that these features help fine tune my system by ear.

My question is how can I get a reading to actually measure and show any problems ? . Rather than just having a guess how can I get a graph of my In Room frequency response and relative volumes so I know what to correct.

A bit like a Roon made Dirac Live. Any hints ??

Thanks in advance.

You can use a USB microphone and software (REW, Acourate etc) to capture a frequency distribution. You can then correct it manually with PEQ or generate a wav file to convolve. See these threads:

This article in the KB may assist with convolution in Roon.

5 Likes

THANK YOU very much for pointing out these articles. Lots of fun. Cheers

Last week I tried a simple method to correct for my room characteristics using Roon DSP with really satisfying result:

What I did:

• find an album on Qobuz or Tidal with sample recordings of frequencies. E.g. from 30 Hz to 150 Hz in steps of 5 Hz. There are several test albums out there. Higher frequencies will not need room correction.
  • Test every frequency track just by listening on your regular listening spot. Play the tracks one by one via Roon.
  • You will probably experience difference in ‘volume’ between frequencies. Most likely there is one frequency (or 1, 2 or 3 subsequent frequencies) which is annoyingly pronounced compared to others. This could well be caused by your room.
  • Correct this by using the Parametric EQ in the Roon DSP: insert the frequency that you have found, insert a gain of appr. -8 dB, insert a Q-factor of 10.
  • Select EQ Type: “Peak/dip”.
  • Re-listen to all frequencies and find the result of the correction. All low frequencies should have the same comfortable level for your ears.
  • And of course listen to music to see if there is an improvement.

Good luck and let me know!

2 Likes

If you’re into headphones, this site has some nearly plug & play “presets” for various headphones. Very handy.

If you need help on how to install them, that’s here:

I use these for my Sennheiser HD800s and it is very nice. I have a pair of Grado SR-60s as well and I find those unlistenable without this preset