Problem with iPad Pro 10.5"

Hi @Bob_Brinza,

If the Roon app is not working at all on your iPad this might be a different issue.
Is there any change in behavior if you reinstall from the App store?

Yhe app does work; just found it ironic that the first execution after the update, it failed. I have noticed that leaving it ‘down’ for about an hour, then executing it seems to ‘fix’ it until the next occurrence–almost as if some token is left until it finally gets purged by iPadOS.

Hi @Bob_Brinza,

Just to make sure I’m understanding your correctly, your Roon app is freezing each time you open it on the iPad and you have to leave it an hour before it un-freezes, is that correct? And this behavior persists between a reinstall of the Roon app from the app store? What about an uninstall, reboot of the iPad and reinstall, does that change anything?

No, doesn’t freeze every time it comes up. As I said, I found it ironic that it did after the app update. I’ve deleted the app, restarted the iPad, and D/L the app, again (and, in the past, this never corrected the problem). App did come up; so, we’ll see. The one sure way I’ve found to correct the problem is to wait about an hour (having terminated the app), then try the app again. And while I’m waiting, use the app on my iPhone.

1 Like

Hi @Bob_Brinza,

Since your last message has the iPad been stable?

Hi @noris, I don’t know for Bob, but this issue, as described two months (!!) ago, is still the same.

I don’t understand why are Roon bugs not being fixed. We’ve sent logs, nothing, I gave you screenshots, nothing. This is not freeware product with no obligations to the customers. Two months?

It’s dead easy. Take iPad Pro 10.5. Kill all apps. Rotate iPad horizontally, then vertically. Start Roon. If it’s OK, kill all apps and try again - rotate horizontally, then vertically, start Roon. If you do it a few times, you’ll reproduce the issue.

No, it’s not been stable.

Yesterday, I was listening to music (via a PS Audio Directstream DAC (Bridge with RAAT–wired)) and left to go to lunch. The iPad app was active; and, without really thinking about it, I turned off the DAC and my AVR. Later, I fired up the system and went into the app to pick my music. The app crashed. On relaunch, the problem appeared. Tried quitting the app and do a relaunch, but still had the problem. Quit the app and used my iPhone. A couple of hours later, tried the app, and it worked.

I keep all my systems as current as possible.

This problem has existed for quite a few months now–my guess would be 5-6 months. Didn’t report the problem when it first occurred because, while annoying as h*ll, the iPhone app worked; and I guess I was hoping it was a momentary glitch that would be fixed with the next app update.

+1

I am facing the same issue. My ipad (ipad mini gen 5) is normally in rotation lock mode, so behaviour is slightly different, but basic issue is the same. Roon window in portait mode, displayed in landscape mode. Problem appears and disappears randomly.

The only difference is that for me this started only with 571 build, I did not have this issue before.

I am still trying to see if this behaviour can be replicated consistently however there is a chance there is a bug in Apple’s code and not Roon’s. This does happen from time to time where the issue is the OS and not the app.

1 Like

Additional data point: iPad always in lock mode.

1 Like

I’m using Roon Remote on an 11-inch (2nd Gen) 2020 iPad Pro (256 GB) to control my core on a Nucleus. The app keeps freezing which always looks like the edges are clipped by about 3 cm on each side (only works in landscape mode on this device). I can close the app and reopen it but that never solves the problem. A reboot is required. I have also deleted and re-downloaded the remote app, but the problem still persists. It was happening about once a week in recent times but now happens almost every day. Wondering if @support might shed some light on this issue.

Hi @Mark_Ellenbogen,

I’ve shifted your post into this existing thread, please see my reply above for the latest status on this:

I’ve updated Roon to the 610 release–core, iPad and iPhone. Also updated iPadOS, iOS and MacOS to latest release. Interesting results.

First, updated Roon on iPad (without updating core). First execution resulted in failure, with interesting twist. Roon acted as if in portrait mode (black bars on left and right sides); but the left bar kept flickering with white bar that had verbiage in it (it looked like what should have been there if menu had been clicked). App then crashed. Restarting got portrait mode with flickering left side of screen. iPhone app, as usual, had no problems.

Finally updated core to 610, and. . . problem seems to be resolved. That is, no crashes, no portrait mode (useless) launches. Have left app running after shutting down system, then starting later (next day), and app just reconnects (as its should). Check app periodically to see what’s playing, and it does what’s expected.

This is the longest run of successful executions in months. I hesitate to say that the problem has been resolved (just checked and had a connection problem; but terminating and starting app resolved the problem); but such seems to be the case.

To reiterate, all software is at latest release levels; and the problem seems to be resolved.

Spoke too soon—problem came back today; but, with flickering white bar on left side of screen. Back to using iPhone app.

When I upgraded to ios14 beta these issues stopped happening on my 10.5 pro. On beta 7 now and smooth sailing. Even if I try I can’t force any weirdness that was prevalent prior.

At the very least hold your breath until the new version of iOS drops.

1 Like

Hi @Bob_Brinza,

I would check to see if the new iOS builds helps with this behavior when it is released as we have still not managed to reproduce this issue consistently in the lab. If the iOS update also resolves the issue for you, that would be an interesting data point to have.

I was about to reply yesterday that updating to iOS 14 solved the problem, when it didn’t. Brought the Roon app to the fore, and the problem occurred, with a twist. Instead of black bars on the left and right of the screen, both bars were now white. As usual, the page was ‘stuck’ at the bottom and wouldn’t scroll to the top.

I have 1 other app that forces landscape display on the iPad–an app from Honeywell for one of their smart thermostats. That app has never had a problem. However, it’s never had an option to tun in portrait mode on the larger iPad. It is always in landscape.

Since the Roon app is the only one having the problem, it seemed that was the likely culprit. However, it does seem that there is some interaction between Roon and the Apple OS. Whether it is a ‘bug’ within the OS, or Roon’s usage of an API, I don’t know. Given the Honeywell app lack of problems, I still point at the Roon app.

1 Like

Thanks for checking that aspect @Bob_Brinza, I will inform the team regarding your update.
We’re still looking into this issue, but as I mentioned earlier, we have not been able to consistently reproduce yet.

Every time I think the problem is resolved, it isn’t.

About 2 weeks ago, I thought the problem was resolved when the iPad app failed–spectacularly. Usual portrait alignment, but with two screens, one on top of the other and offset to the right. App completely frozen. Deleted and reinstalled.

Last night I thought to update this thread when the app failed–portrait mode screen centered in the landscape screen with the left ‘bar’ rapidly flashing between black and white.

So, as far as I’m concerned, problem not resolved. Time between occurrences seems longer; but far from the not failing at all prior to the start of my problem.

Hi @Bob_Brinza,

I’m not sure I understand this failure state, would you by any chance happen to have a screenshot?

Also, while a bit extreme, have you by any chance tried to factory reset your iPad yet?