QNAP - Roon Server = Stopped after update [Fixed in build 880]

Another long shot and you’ve probably checked this already but look that your Roon database is not in the same folder with your music library. Probably best if it’s not even on the same drive. I have 256GB SSD for all system files and I’ve put my Roon database files there also. My music library is on 4TB HDD. Earlier when I tried to solve this problem and reinstalled Roon core on QNAP, I accidentally put the database on my music library location during installation. Only noticed it later.

@Patouskii. Thank you for bringing this up. I noticed that DB backup was in two places. The SSD drive and the folder where I have my music folder. I don’t remember making that change personally. But my last roon backup before the issue started was in the folder where the music files are stored.

Is it safe to assume I can copy the backup to the SSD and point roon to backup to the SSD? After the new install this morning I pointed the backups back to the SSD.

Yes I noticed at one point that I had database in two locations also. I actually uninstalled Roon core, deleted both database, then reinstalled Roon core and made sure the database was installed in right location. After this I just restored my database from backup.

Hey @Don_Ashley,

We appreciate the clarification. Could you please:

• restart your QNAP
  • attempt to launch Roon
  • write down the time and date this happens
  • grab a set of logs
  • upload them here
  • let us know when you had a chance to do so

Hi @beka
Time: 10:25am PST
Date: 11/12/2021
Uploading now.

1 Like

Got them! Thanks a whole lot. We’re taking a closer look and keep you posted.

3 Likes

I must say, i think the Roon crew has really shined through this complicated scenario. Kudos and and big thanks for responsiveness and efforts, to you Rebeka and @noris, @jamie and everyone else behind the front line! Big thumbs up! :+1: :pray:

3 Likes

Thank you @Mikael_Ollars! We appreciate the encouragement. We trust the QA team to take us to the finish line with all the great info everyone passed along :pray:

2 Likes

Hi, I can’t even re-install the Roon app anymore after uninstalling it.
I try to re-initialize the Qnap Nas but still…
The process of installation freezes at 50%.
The version available for me in app store is 2021-05-18 anf my firmware version is 4.3.6.1831.
May I try a previous version of qpkg? In case, where can I download it?
I need help, please.
Thank you.

If your QNAP is based on the x86 architecture you can download the October package here:
https://download.qnap.com/QPKG/RoonServer_2021-10-03_x86_64.zip
Install manually, of course! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is the last qpkg…am I right?
I’ m not sure, will my QTS version support that? I was thinking only version 5 do.
Anyway maybe I could try.
Thank you very much!!

1 Like

Thanks again Mikael_Ollars, that worked fine!

3 Likes

Thank you @Mikael_Ollars,

We appreciate all the advice, discoveries, and assistance that all of you have shared as well. It’s been a community effort all the way. We’re grateful! :v:

2 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: QNAP - Hanging After Login

Have the same problem on my HS-453DX. It works after I disable firewall and change the database location from Roon Server folder to Multimedia folder.

May I know what port should be open under the firewall?

It seems that the latest update for QTS broke the Roon server for me once again. I can’t access it anymore.

I uploaded the log files for noris.

I already tried to reinstall but even that won’t help now, I just get endless jellyfish loading icon.

EDIT:

So I deleted Roon server app again and now also manually deleted the whole RoonOnNas folder from my QNAP. Then I installed the app from QNAP Appstore and was able to log in and add local storage as usual. Now I’m restoring my files from backup again, which takes several hours for me.

So obviously Build 850 is still unstable if we can’t install QTS firmware updates or maybe even reboot the NAS without a fear of losing connection to the Roon core. I hope you can find some solution for this, thanks.

I might have a fix for the hanging on launch issue. I reinstalled roon, restored my previous backup, and then logged in again and got a prompt to deauthorize the same server, which needs to be done. As soon as I deauthorized, it worked.

3 Likes

Yes this is how I have got it to work few times also. Yesterday I did exactly this same procedure and still got the loading icon. But now in the morning, after I left the Roon server running overnight, I once again can access the core. I don’t know what’s going on here. Now I won’t touch anything before there’s more updated about the issue.

I think i see a pattern here, relevant or not. It seems many of you are able to remove the old Roon QPKG and reinstall the latest one. And obviously your Roon Server starts and becomes accessible as you would otherwise not be able to restore a backup, which then corrupts your install?

I have also seen that Roon Core hangs during the authorization process which a reboot seem to solve.
(Not related to this particular issue though)

hmm I’m still on QTS 4.5.4.1800 on my QNAP 253BE and don’t have any problems with the latest Roon build.

I think I will refrain from updating my QTS until I’m sure this is solved…

1 Like