Qobuz gapless playback gone [Improvements released with Roon build 1202]

Hi All,

@UliR indeed did beat me to following up on this thread!

A small update: we’ve been able to locate an issue in gapless playback pertaining specifically to Chromecast devices, which is waiting on a release, and so we have a strong lead into the bigger, more widespread issue around gapless playback across different devices.

We haven’t finalized a solution yet, but all signs are pointing in the right direction, so things should continue to move that way with what we’ve discovered so far.

I realize this lack of gapless playback disrupts any chance at a smooth, frictionless listening experience, and it’s understandably frustrating when it happens over and over again. Know that our team is still working hard on figuring out the direct cause of this, and that I will post updates as new information presents itself :pray:

13 Likes

Thanks for the public update @benjamin!

Yes, thanks, @benjamin.

I’ve been following this thread (and others linked from it) as I’ve been experiencing this, too, but haven’t chimed in until now.

Unfortunately, this issues arises all the time. Although it is most noticeable when albums have segues or gapless tracks. there’s nearly always an extended delay between tracks served up from Qobuz (ie longer gaps via Roon, than on the Qobuz apps (iOS and MacOS). Usually accompanied, by the progress bar motioning left and right for a period when viewing Roon remote.

It’s probably for about a 3-4 weeks now. All fine on Arc, I think. No such delays on albums where it would stand out, but this seems to affect all Qobuz tracks via Roon on my home network, to some degree - playback from my Core (iMac) across all endpoints (iOS devices). All running the most recent Roon and Apple software, and all experience encounter this issue. The same also happens with my Cambridge audio cxn v2 and my oppo ha-2 headphone amplifier when connected to my iMac.

This doesn’t affect local files at all. Frustrating, as I happen to be currently obsessed with an album on Qobuz that requires gapless playback to recreate the segues and conjoined tracks in it.

1 Like

Today I upgraded my Nucleus Plus to 32GB RAM. I can’t definitively state that my gapless playback issue with Qobuz is resolved, it’s too early to declare victory, but if my system keeps performing like it is right now, I’d recommend any of you having issues to consider a memory upgrade.

Prior to this upgrade I’ve tried restarting Roon, rebooting the Nucleus, and shutting down the Nucleus and doing cold boots. None of those made a difference. From the moment I booted up after the memory upgrade I’ve had excellent gapless playback.

YMMV.

I’m still getting gapless playback from my direct connection to the Core, but have noticed problems with networked endpoints. Only very small gaps, but gaps nonetheless. Local files are ok.

No one should have to do that to get gapless playback. Something seriously wrong if that’s a solution.

I’m enjoying gapless right now and most of yesterday. Also only taking milliseconds to move between normal tracks (including 192/24 streamed - not gapless) instead of the usual 6-10 Seconds.

Only issue is that I’m having to do it on Audirvana Studio not on my Roon.

Hopefully balance will be restored to the music universe soon…

2 Likes

This just started happening to me as well. I was. playing “Thick As A Brick” a few days ago through Tidal and the gaps were there. Played some live albums and the same.

It was a relatively low investment and worth the try. It’s been several hours now and the gap between tracks is the same or less then the gaps you’d hear playing a CD. I hope this is a new steady state for me.

Fired up Roon again 40 mins ago. Half way thru “The Wall” and Gapless is working. Hopefully the pause between normal tracks will also be greatly diminished as well…

Ha this thread is alive again!

I was about to chime in to ask if the experience has changed for anyone!

I just had a flawlessly gapless listening session (Dark Side of the Moon chosen specifically to test the gapless problem, but also it’s amazing) on Qobuz via Roon.

I was having consistent problems in December, so avoided Qobuz via Room for a while, so was really pleased when it played back perfectly today.

Sorry to hear others are still having issues! Now that I feel mildly confident in listening to Qobuz over Roon again I’ll report back if any issues arise again.

I think the audio gods are toying with us.

When I posted a few weeks back gapless wasn’t working at all.
Then it was working sporadically: The same album would play gapless sometimes and other times not.
For a few days now it had been working then last night one track in a gapless album gapped.
:woman_shrugging:

Maybe the problem is related to the Roon servers and their integration with Qobuz, and not to the users’ local Roon application.
This could explain why the problem appears and disappears without changing anything in the local configuration of the users.

The streams come direct from Qobuz api streams though not via any of Roons servers.

1 Like

If I under Roon Settings the Qobuz service the quality of 16/44.1, Gapless Playback has been working for days !!!

Have noticed this for a while, still not gapless here, just played an album via Qobuz direct and no problem…

Thanks for posting this @Michael_Hewera - I appear to be getting the same experience. @benjamin This is a potentially interesting lead from Michael.

I’ve switched my Roon Streaming Quality settings for the Qobuz service to “CD 16-Bit / 44.1 kHz” and I have immediately found a native 24/44.1 album is playing back the 16/44.1 version served up by Qobuz, gaplessly, when it didn’t for the original format of 24/44.1 just before the change.

My Streaming Quality setting was “Hi-Res 24-Bit / up to 192 kHz” prior to this adjustment, and this was via my headphone amp/DAC wired to the machine that my Core is running on.

This could be a useful workaround if it works across my end points - I’ll report back.

This isn’t ideal when I wish to prefer Qobuz Hi-Res files wherever it makes sense to do so, but for now, if it’s effective, this is better than having gaps where there should be none! :slight_smile:

1 Like

In my system, I get long gaps even when limiting Qobuz to 44.1/16. So no workaround here, unfortunately.
But as before, not always and not always with the same albums/tracks.

Today the problem is extremely noticeable, BTW.

False alarm. Sadly, I was wrong to get too excited too quickly - this hasn’t worked consistently since an initially good run that prompted my posting about this. Gapless playback for Qobuz remains fickle at best, and is not working across endpoints here. Shame.

Just to chip in my two cents, same situation here. Gaps via Qobuz with Roon fairly regularly for weeks now. Same albums / tracks via Tidal / Roon seem to be fine. Core running on windows. Fingers crossed for an update/fix at some point.