Qobuz gapless playback gone [Improvements released with Roon build 1202]

I’d like to add that I am also experiencing this problem and have been since the new version came out.

Hey Everyone,

Another update to share: we have honed in on a fix for this, and have a ticket in with our dev team actively working on it. I cannot give a direct timeline quite yet, but it’s high on the list of things to push out as soon as possible.

I will follow up with more information as I receive it :+1:

12 Likes

@benjamin - Can you share the root cause?

3 Likes

Just noticed here for the first time on Allman Brothers first album 192khz. Hope this can be fixed.I have no specific loyalty to Qobuz, just a matter of cost. I have to have gapless though.

It’s been four days since I upgraded my Nucleus Plus to 32GB RAM. I have not had a single issue with Qobuz streaming since I added the RAM. I am beginning to think that it’s not a coincidence.

Or did you mean “I have NOT had a single issue”

3 Likes

So if adding RAM is the actual solution, Roon not going to have many happy fans. Hey, your system worked fine for years but not only are we raising prices, you also need to upgrade your core. I have a feeling it’s just a coincidence. Think RAM and SSD drive help with faster load times for images and initial playback, not continuous streaming.

Not changing a thing, my system had played flawless since new years except for one minor pause. Plus they already said they found an issue on their end.

1 Like

Thanks! Corrected in the post.

hey Vince, same amsco from psaudio. I don’t know, I have a strong win 10 machine with nothing but Roon and JRiver running. I use the server version of Roon (no graphics). Windows isn’t super stripped down. I have 32gb of memory. Never more than 7gb in use…ever. I experience more Roon/Qobuz issues than I should. Keep in mind, the issues aren’t even close to convincing myself to give up Roon/Qobuz…still. Zero JRiver issues!

1 Like

I totally appreciate your perspective. I am just relaying my experience.

Over the years as apps and OS’s do more their seems to be a slow increase in needed memory, cpu, and disk speed. At one point during the transition to Win10 Microsoft released a tool to assess if a PC could run Win10. I believe there’s been Apple IOS updates that couldn’t be installed on older devices. Knowing all of this, plus what we see in our data centers where we see constant increased demand on hardware with every OS upgrade, in some recent cases as high as 18% increase from one OS to another, it seemed to me it was a safe and relatively low investment to try a memory upgrade.

1 Like

My bets on it being a local caching issue of the streams for streaming.

Hey Dale!

Yeah, you know how it is. I am just poking at it. Maybe we need HDMI (ala I²S) shorting plugs on the server! :wink:

1 Like

That’s a great guess. I was thinking that it could be a memory leak. A look ahead precache is a great guess.

seems like Roon/Qobuz should use more memory, load 5 songs ahead. Don’t know the practical limit but most of us have plenty fast internet, lots of memory and network headroom to spare.

Depending on the length of a song you probably just need to look ahead to the next song to get to the gapless experience.

1 Like

I have upgraded my Nucleus from 4 to 16 GB RAM. The thing responds super fast and everything feels good, even if 2 or three zones are operated with music at the same time. I still have the strange interruptions on Qobuz, which are still not reproducible and sometimes there, sometimes not, even within the same album.

1 Like

My other issue, besides gapless errors, is some hires stalls (much less frequently redbook). Roon gives me a network speed error (all Qobuz, don’t use Roon for my library). It’s not my network. I can play 20 24/192 recordings in a row but eventually I’ll get an error on a song. I just switch to JRiver and play on when it happens more than once in a night.

That is interesting. I assume you have looked at your DNS provider. Such as Cloudflare vs Google?

One thing I haven’t looked at is the location of the Qobuz cloud resource in relation to where I live. I wonder if some of the problems people are seeing are latency related. Which could be solved by prefetching. Of course prefetching won’t solve first song playback of a user chosen recording vs the predictability of a Roon Radio selection.

Done all the “things,” I read a lot of the posts/suggestions. I’m unwilling to do much more thinking and messing with it. The problem isn’t big enough, but I am posting here because I think the issues are linked. No one, like me, can be certain in these complex systems; however, I’m betting on it being a Roon software issue.

Thanks Vince! Always a pleasure. Going back to where I’m happiest, in the psaudio spinning thread.

1 Like

I am there now!

Take care Dale!

1 Like