Qobuz gapless playback gone [Improvements released with Roon build 1202]

with much irony, just got the Qobuz media is loading slowly message. 24/96 stream

Sigh… It figures.

…and gapless isn’t working on a war live recording

I certainly don’t want to throw gasoline on a fire here but I find it interesting that this problem ticket was opened in December 2022, quite recently. Is it possible that the “always on Internet” architecture is a contributor here? Hopefully we aren’t suffering some kind of issue relating to sending data to the cloud and awaiting a response between tracks. This could also signal why some people suffer and some don’t depending on your own round trip time to the instance of Roon in the cloud. I wonder if there is a geographical consistency to the issue for those suffering it. I also wonder if it might be much harder for Roon themselves to diagnose if they are network-adjacent to their in-cloud resources. Of course if any “Legacy 1.8” users are suffering the same fate then clearly this would be easily eliminated as a suspect.

2 Likes

Glad for you, Axel, but you still might be an exception. I am in Frankfurt and have been troubled by this for a while. Very simple set up as I am just beginning, core on a windows 11 laptop, good network connection but running through wifi, usb to mojo 2 and out to Meze 109s. All goes through a VPN so will try without that but not much is open to change and I have done nothing to the setup that could cause this. Very noticeable but inconsistent lag. Logging out and back in helped but only for one track change then the gap reappeared.

Does this mean that your core machine is connected to the router via wifi and not via ethernet?
If at all possible, at least connect your core machine to the router with ethernet.

Highly recommended.
If you want to avoid constant trouble with Roon and enjoy your music in a relaxed way - stick to it.
Wiring everything is a one-time job, the hassle you have if you don’t do it is ongoing.

2 Likes

I was dabbling / experimenting yesterday (on my Core machine, wired to the router, and headphones wired straight in) and actually think there’s a link between issues with gaps/between track delays for Qobuz albums and whether I have played that album/version in Qobuz before, or, not.

Albums I’ve never played before, including examples I know to be gapless (live records, for example, which would highlight delays moving from track to track) appear to work fine, provided I’ve never played them before on Qobuz via Roon at all - all seem to be playing straight through, seamlessly. Equally, I’ve not tended to encounter noticeable pauses/lags for other albums where the songs don’t segue together. Such examples have also continued to be gapless a day later, too.

I could just be getting lucky, I suppose, or, it could be a ‘good day’, but it does point to the possibility of Roon handling ‘new album plays’ and those with previous plays diffrently in this particular regard.

I’m thinking there’s most likely a date where things changed, but can’t work out when it might be, as I feel like lags and delays between tracks has actually been feature of Qobuz via Roon for quite a while, but one that initially took to be an occasional network issue interruption to playback.

I wonder if anyone else find that albums/versions that they’ve never played before in Qobuz via Roon are behaving themselves fine, but those they’ve played before are not?

Prior to yesterday, I’ve tended to play things I’ve played before, or, that were in my library. Meaning it’s a mixed economy of things I’ve played before in Roon and things I hadn’t done. Hence, mixed results and inconsistency up untilI now.

I never use mixes/playlists, so can’t comment on that aspect, but I suppose it follows that these may also include tracks that have been played before, too.

Anyway, just a thought.

I know there have been some issues with Qobuz users and gapless playback in Roon. Is anyone else finding there to be similar issues when using Tidal? I had no problems up to a few weeks ago. Now I am getting brief pauses between tracks. This is clearly noticeable when listening to live material or albums where songs move into each other without pause. Thanks for any feedback.

Roon not playing gapless occurs with Qobuz as well as with Tidal.

Thanks for the clarification Marc. I wanted to see if it was connected to any one streaming service. I am relieved to find out the Tidal issues will be addressed as well.

Same here with Tidal on Keith Jarret album (I am on 1.8.)
Best
Sven

Since upgrading to our Nucleus Plus to 32GB of RAM ten days ago, we’ve had excellent gapless performance with Qobuz.

YMMV.

What did I say earlier in the week

Yes. I am experiencing this in Tidal also. Not consistently but its happening (Tidal in Roon I mean)

Perhaps adding more RAM created more allocated space for cached content. Do you know what Roon is working on to fix the cache issue? Perhaps recent updates created an inefficiency in the use of the cache and they are working on an allocation fix.

To be clear, I am reporting on what has happened with me on my system. So far, this small change seems to have resolved my issue for the past ten days and counting. I decided to try this RAM update and it seems to be working. If this keeps up, I’ll be enjoying gapless playback this evening and all weekend.

YMMV.

could you do me a favor?

Try streaming the album “Live: Cookin’ with Blue Note at Montreux” by Donald Byrd?

Just the segues between cuts 1 and 2, and between 2 and 3

Is it gapless on your machine?

Hey Doug,

I just tested with the Qobuz 96/24 version. It’s as close to gapless as you could want. There’s no break in the audience applause between Black Byrd and You’ve Got It Bad Girl. The change between You’ve Got It Bad Girl and The East is the same way. There’s a small bit of applause at the end of You’ve Got It Bad Girl and then the transition to what I believe is electric piano and guitar in the lead in to The East is seamless.

I really like this album. I’ve been playing it quite a bit since it was released in early December. The only thing I don’t like is the Introductions in the middle of the set. I know that’s something that happens frequently in a live setting, I just don’t like it in recordings.

I have a tag in Roon named “Purchase” that I applied to this recording. I think I’ll do that tonight. I may delete the Introductions. Don’t tell anyone…

Regards,
Vince

1 Like

Its a great record!

It’s been one of the troublesome gapless ones for me, and since you said you hadn’t had any issues in a few days I thought it’d be cool to ask.

Thanks!

1 Like

I hope we see a fix soon. Looking at the last Early Access I don’t see a fix for the gapless playback listed in this week’s updates. If that’s the case, it might be another two weeks before a fix is released.

1 Like

I honestly wasn’t experiencing it too much, but tonight with both Qobuz and Tidal, I have

It sure is a buzzkill but I am glad to see a fix seems to be on the way

1 Like