Qobuz has networking problem only in Roon

Roon Core Machine

Running Roon Core on a PC Windows 10 hardwired to the internet, connecting to an NAD M33 also hardwired to the internet. All are Cat 6 connections to fast Comcast service which is operating flawlessly in all other respects. Qobuz-sourced songs in Roon-sponsored playlists won’t play and, after showing the message “Qobuz media is loading slowly. This may indicate a networking or connectivity problem.”, jump to the next song in the playlist. These Qobuz issues only happen in Roon, and they happen all the time in Roon. I can immediately play the same song (eg, “I Wish” by Stevie Wonder in high resolution) from my PC using the BluOS controller or the Qobuz app with no problem whatsoever. This is very frustrating because I like your Daily Mixes, but they always seem to skip the Qobuz songs. I keep waioting for the software updates to fix it but they never do. What the heck?

1 Like

It’s probably not getting fixed in software updates because the problem is somehow unique to you.

Does this happen only in playlists and Qobuz albums in Roon play normally, or does it affect whole Qobuz albums as well?

It affects all things Qobuz including whole albums, individual Qobuz songs, and Qobuz playlists.

OK. Have you tried logging out of Qobuz in Roon, reboot the Core, and then log in again?
And are you using the email address of the Qobuz account to log in? A while ago Qobuz disallowed using the Qobuz username for third-party log-ins and now requires the email address.

Yes, and I just tried it again. Still won’t play.

I had this problem too, until I changed to a core machine that was not a general purpose Windows PC. Same network, same everything, but I changed to a core machine running ROCK - and the Qobuz problem stopped happening. Not sure why, maybe the Windows version of the server software, maybe that the dedicated ROCK system does absolutely nothing except run the Roon core. Just my 2 cents. Hope you figure it out - I know how frustrating it is when Qobuz songs don’t load.

1 Like

It’s not really worth getting a new core since my current one plays Qobuz fine through BluOS. I like the Roon interface much better, so it would be great if I could get it to work.

Try changing the DNS servers in the router to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1.

1 Like

Probaly a network issue. Fill out the template. So support will be able to determine your problem. In the meantime restart your whole system, router, core, modem switch etc by pulling out the plugs and restart ono by one.

Roon Core Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

OK, I moved my core from my desktop DigitalStorm PC running Windows 11 to a Dell laptop running Windows 11. Everything else is exactly the same as before, but now Qobuz is running fine. That tells me it’s not the network. Qobuz worked fine on the desktop when I use the Qobuz app or BluOS, so I suspect it’s not Qobuz either. That seems to leave Roon and how it is interacting with the desktop PC/OS, but only when playing Qobuz.

The desktop is a DigitalStorm with Intel i7-7800X CPU and 16GB of memory. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Check DNS settings between the two computers?

The DNS settings are different. Here are the ones for the desktop:

Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 1000/1000 (Mbps)
Link-local IPv6 address: fe80::fe7e:9edf:5fba:e3a9%14
IPv4 address: 192.168.1.66
IPv4 DNS servers: 192.168.1.1
Primary DNS suffix: localdomain
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Description: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
Driver version: 12.17.10.8
Physical address (MAC): 10-7B-44-9F-1A-01

Please provide the details requested in @fietser’s post. Specifically, information about your network devices. Have you tried changing the DNS settings as previously mentioned? The same DNS servers should be listed for all devices, and this is achieved by changing settings in your router.

Unfortunately, I have a whole-house Ubiquiti network that was installed by professionals who maintain it for me. I don’t personally have access to the router settings.

It would be really helpful if you provided all the information requested since the issue is almost certainly network-related.

I suspect you have two subnets, and you’ve already stated that DNS servers differ, so it’s possible that the network is misconfigured. Since your network is managed, you may wish to discuss this with the service provider.

1 Like

Respectfully, that tells me it is the network.
2nd what @Martin_Webster has said about DNS and subnets.

FYI, I had similar issues with Qobuz not playing nice with Roon but being fine elsewhere. In my case simply changing DNS on my router to Cloudflare (1.1.1.1) solved it.

https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/dns/what-is-1.1.1.1/

1 Like

@Gesper, this is stating that your PC is getting its DNS from the Ubiquiti router or ISP router in your network, however it cannot be determined what your router or routers’ DNS settings are. Is it possible to ask this from your managed service provider?

Do any of our regulars recall a lengthy thread a few months ago where a very sweet older lady (who was a writer) was having issues with a professionally installed network?
I can’t seem to find it.
I’m wondering if the solution that was eventually found would be useful info for @Gesper to pass along to their provider?

Edit. I found it.
And the solution may not be as helpful as I’d hoped.

I will reach out to the installers. Meantime I hooked up the laptop to the same ethernet cable that feeds the desktop (previously I was using Wi-Fi for the laptop). The laptop now has the same DNS address as the Desktop and Roon/Qobuz worked fine. I admit I don’t fully understand the implications of DNS addresses, but it’s not clear how the DNS address could be the problem if both computers have the same one and only the desktop has problems. Also, I don’t understand if the DNS was messed up why Roon would have trouble with Qobuz but not Tidal or Live Radio (which work fine). Thanks again to all.

I think the solution lies in connecting through ethernet instead of wifi.

1 Like