ROCK on ProxmoxVE

And the missing codecs message is gone?

Yes put ffmpeg in the folder as described in the link and the message disappeared.

Answered that question already three years ago. It does not work with linux file managers.

@danny
A hint on the mentioned help page might be helpful.

Conversations with myself, beautiful Bill Evans album.

Hi everybody, just successfully migrated the roon rock to a vm in proxmox.
Only roon remote client that does not want to connect is my windows 10 client though. iPad’s and iPhone’s work fine.
Using the virtio network adapter. Switching to e1000 makes no difference.
All versions are up-to-date. Keeps hanging on the red-dot with status Connecting…

Can anyone advice?

Edit: never mind, after a night’s sleep it now is able to connect fine…

I added a shutdown period of 5 to prevent a reboot/shutdown of pve to wait for the timeout of the vm.
Thinking of implementing a systemd halt script to poweroff with the api call.
Wandering though whether the api poweroff is cleaner than the stop that pve then basically does?

Anyone maybe made another cleaner fix for the shutdown/reboot?
(rock logs show nothing of a shutdown call… makes me feel poweroff is not a clean way to stop either…?)

Edit: and again the problem seems to solve itself. Implemented the script, but no sign of cleaner shutdown. Removed the script to search for other signs in logs BUT no waiting for a time out anymore…

Have any of you tried or tested having a second physical SATA SSD in your Proxmox server and passing it through to the roon rock vm for media storage? I bought a NUC11PAHi7 to use as a dedicated roon rock appliance and kitted it with a 1TB nvme SSD and an additional 8TB SATA SSD. I use Proxmox extensively for lot’s off stuff so I’ve reconsidered and will now look to run roon rock as a virtual appliance. I still like the idea of having my music files contained in the appliance (yes, I know you can mount smb share but I don’t have a file server provisioned atm and don’t look to do it anytime soon). I followed the instructions in this video Roon ROCK on Proxmox Virtual Machine - YouTube. Are you saying VirtoIO Netfwork works nowadays (June 18 2023)? What about installing Qemu agent to support shutdown if host is signaling?

Yes, it works perfectly. I passed through a 12TB partition from a 7200rpm SATA drive.

Hello
how did you pass through your disk from host to Rock VM?

This should give you everything that you need.

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Passthrough_Physical_Disk_to_Virtual_Machine_(VM)

1 Like

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I was able to get it working on my Proxmox server great. Appreciate all the good info here. It sure would be cool if this setup could get some support love :slightly_smiling_face:

Just throwing in another thanks for this thread and a helpful YouTube video I found. Running ROCK in a VM instead of taking up the whole NUC has allowed me a great deal more flexibility with what I can do with the NUC in general.

Stability seems to be rock solid when installing this in a VM.

Resources I’ve given the server

1 Like

Thank you, this was the fix that got this working for me.

1 Like