ROCK USB storage not detected after last update

After last update I lost my USB attached storage. First I lost one port which was used as back up for my music files, then after reboot I lost the USB port with my primary music files. Is this an OS problem? Do I need to reset BIOS? Or is this hardware failure and I need a new Intel NUC?

Intel NUC 8 Mainstream Kit (NUC8i7BEH) - Core i7
Crucial 8GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/S (PC4-19200) SR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin Memory
SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 250GB NVMe M.2 Internal Solid State Hard Drive

What disk format does your USB storage have, NTFS maybe?

Yes it is.

Sounds like it might be caused by the better/safer but therefore stricter NTFS support in RoonOS build 254. There were quite many of these, for instance here:

More in the linked thread (and quite many others)

Thanks. I missed these. I guess I should reformat the discs to exFAT and then reload the music files so this doesn’t happen again.

Thanks for your help, running chkdsk/repair/eject fixed the problem for both drives.

1 Like

So how do I safely reboot the NUC in the future without this happening again? Is there a way to eject the USB attached drive?

Good question. Windows, Mac, and regular Linux systems all have ways to safely remove disks, in the graphical interface and as text commands. Essentially, they stop write access, inform the disk that it will be removed (so that the disk firmware can write cached contents to the disk), and remove them from the operating system’s table of attached disks.

RoonOS does not seem to have such an option that is accessible to the user on the admin interface. Therefore, I would always power down the Nucleus before removing external disks.

The thing with NTFS is that if it is uncleanly removed, it leaves a “dirty” flag on the disk and NTFS drivers then refuse to access it until this is fixed, e.g. by a CHKDSK or equivalent commands in NTFS drivers for Linux and Mac.

This would not happen with exFAT, but nevertheless, powering down the Nucleus before removing disks is always safest, I suppose.

2 Likes

I always power down a ROCK NUC prior to removing a USB drive. That is the only way you know the OS has nicely closed everything down. While you can disable USB storage in ROON. I don’t think that is the same as “remove safely”.

1 Like

I don’t remove the USB drive from the NUC. But I do have to power down the NUC and restart it occasionally. So I thought that might be causing the problem.

I ordered a new USB hard drive and will format it to exFAT and copy my files to it and replace the older drive so it shouldn’t be a problem in the future.

2 Likes

Yeah, all my USB external drives are exFAT and I haven’t had an issue with them on a ROCK NUC for 6 years (?!)