roo6D - The wireless high-end physical volume knob for Roon

Hi Brian,
thank you for your really excellent review.

My home is in Franconia and there we say “Net g’schimpt is lob gnu”, what means in English “Silence is praise enough” :+1: :wink:

3 Likes

Hi Brian, i like the BMW iDrive comparison. It lets you focus on the music (as for traffic with iDrive) and does not distract from the listening experience by touch screens, user interfaces or clumsy remote control buttons.

2 Likes

Another happy user here…roo6D is working well and makes it really easy to control volume, pause/play. etc. So much easier than opening the tablet, unlocking it, going into Roon and adjusting the slider or pressing the + / - icons…

My SpaceMouse is older, so I had a small issue with the USB dongle not being recognized. @DrCWO and @Klaus_Engel were very responsive and got me a hotfix very quickly.

I look forward to being able to add Roon Bridge to the Raspberry Pi4 and rooPlay in the future.

3 Likes

@DrCWO Just a heads-up about a typographical error: In the Roon app Extensions screen, I accidentally clicked on Enable for the rooDial extension. I don’t have a license for this one, so it put up a warning message in red to that effect. When I clicked on that extension’s Settings button to try to clear that warning, it showed a message saying there was no “vlid” license. (BTW, the only way I found to clear that red warning was to click on the View button in Extensions, then Remove the extension that was showing the warning.)

1 Like

Brian,
thanks for the hint, it is already corrected for the next release :grinning:

Regarding display of unlicensed Roon Extensions. The number of Roon extensions will grow so something had to be done with these unlicensed uggly red Roon Extensions. You are absolutely right :+1:

The next release of rooExtend (v2.0.0) will have a central license manager. With it you will have the option do hide unlicensed Roon extension from being displayed. I also will include an option to save your licenses on a USB stick. This can be used after a version upgrade to automatically restore the licenses :+1:

Here a preview of the settings of the License Manager:

Curious about what rooNuimo is :wink:
Ask Google about “Nuimo”
DrCWO

1 Like

Great! It will be good to have a cleaned up extensions interface. Thanks.

Google did show me the “nuimo” made by Senic; looks like a nice device. But not to be confused with “nuiMOs”, which it turns out is a line of little stuffed animals sold by Disney https://nuimos.com/ :grinning:

1 Like

Since yesterday I am also a satisfied user of roo6D. The Space Mouse Wireless and the Microsoft Surface Dial work together without any problems on a Rasp Pi 4. Operation via Space Mouse clearly beats that of the Surface Dial. The only exception is “fast forward” or “fast backward”. That jerks … Could you still get that smoother?

In general, roo6d with the Space Mouse is an excellent tool to control Roon. thumbs-up

Edit: Have now set the jump distance to 2 seconds. Now it does :wink:

1 Like

Do you run the Pi with Wired Ethernet or WiFi?

I run the Pi wired. In the meantime I have noticed that the behavior changes depending on the respective endpoint. My two Linn Streamers (Akurate & Klimax) are jerky. A jump distance of 2 seconds helps here. The slider first moves a little forward (1 cm) and then returns to the starting position. It is different when operating the Roon server on the digital card of the AVM PA 8.3 preamplifier via USB connection. Here the 2 second setting does not work at all, but it runs relatively smoothly at 5 seconds. I have no cause for complaint with the digital module of the preamplifier. But with the Linn’s it could be better…

Edit: I tested some other Devices. With the AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt ist runs flawlessly. With a ChromeCast Audio device it doesnt run at all. It jumps immediately to the end of the title.

I asked @Klaus_Engel to see what can be done.
Best DrCWO

1 Like

We have to look into this. The SpaceMouse sends a lot of events that we accumulate to not overload the Roon core with too many events. Maybe we should make this configurable, so that you can optimize it for your setup.

3 Likes

Just a quick note of thanks to @DrCWO and @Klaus_Engel - I now have a roo6D and a SpaceMouse driving a Linn Selekt. The most challenging aspect of the process was getting the SpaceMouse. The rest was very straightforward.

Thank you very much for this contribution!

1 Like

Please let us know why? I think they have an online shop :thinking:

That was mostly a poor attempt at humor which was meant to convey that the software setup including flashing the RP4 image, setting up the extension, purchasing and setting up the license was all very straightforward.

It did take longer to arrive than promised by Amazon, but that’s become typical of the Amazon experience.

I’m considering setting one up in a second listening area and, if I do that, I’ll order directly from the manufacturer.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Muppet me :joy:

I prodly announce version v2.0.0. of rooExtend.
Please visit this thread to see more details
rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial - Audio Products - Roon Labs Community
or navigate via my homepage https://rooExtend.com

Best DrCWO

3 Likes

What functions can I assign to the buttons on the SpaceMouse?
In one of your videos, you mention that you can control the buttons’ functions, but I can’t find anywhere a description of what the options are.
What I am specifically interested to know is can they be assigned to one of my live radio streams?
In a similar vein, what functions can the long press and double touch on the dial be assigned to?
Many thanks, this looks a great product!

I’m sorry, but as far as I know, that’s not possible.

These are the switches:

And here are the actions that can be applied to the switches:

Thanks for sharing those screen shots, they answer my question perfectly.
According to the product page, the RooNuimo software allows you to assign functions such as starting a radio station or a playlist, so I hoped the same was true for the other products.
Not the answer that I was hoping for, but at least now I know.
I appreciate you taking the time to respond - thanks!

2 Likes

Paul,
this was a new featur for rooNuimo and your requirement is on the list.

Best DrCWO

1 Like