roo6D - The wireless high-end physical volume knob for Roon

Just an FYI here, in case anyone else hits this snag … I put a blank USB stick into my rooExtend Pi, thinking I’d upgrade to 2.0 and use the new license storage mechanism. But then something came up and I never did do the upgrade. After that, the 6d knob just said Sleeping in the Roon settings and didn’t respond. I thought the knob needed charging, but that didn’t fix it. Thinking about the last thing I changed (always a good diagnostic tool!), I pulled the stick out - and the knob instantly started working again.

Brian,
the status line of the License Manger tells you to pull it out :wink:

That’s great, thank you!
I’ve just bought a rooDial licence (rather than roo6D that I originally asked about), so if you need a beta tester for that when it reaches the top of your to-do list, I’m happy to volunteer.
Best regards… Paul

I will put you on my list and let you know if the v2.1.0 version will be ready for testing.
Best DrCWO

I’m still puzzled by the whole “save the license key on a USB stick” thing. I’m running 2.0.2 now, everything seems fine. When I put a USB stick into the Pi, the extension UI for rooExtend said that USB stick cannot be mounted. I didn’t see anything in the PDF instruction manual about this part. Any tips for me? Thanks.

Brian, format the stick with FAT, NTFS or Linux filesystem and it will work. I have no idea what filesystem your USB-stick is formatted with.

Thanks. I’ll give that a try. I usually format all my removable media with ExFAT - works well in Mac and Windows, and doesn’t have the limitations of FAT. But, I’m going to dedicate an old, small stick to this anyway - so using FAT for that one is not a problem! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello @DrCWO I have the Pi through Canakit and SpaceMouse. I successfully loaded up the SD card and the flash was successful. The Pi finds my wifi, but when the green bar goes all the way to the right, it gets stuck and never refreshes. Hence the extensions do not get installed into Roon. Suggestions?

I should have said, it never restarts. Ideas for a fix?

If the Pi did find your WiFi rooExtend should be visible in the Ronn Settings Extensions. If not this may have the following reasons:

• WiFi not connected. (you need 2.4GHz WPA(2)-PSK at you access point!)
  • If the green LED is not blinking then the SD card is corrupted.

Best you try it with wired ethernet first and make it run. Then you can focus on WiFi.
Best DrCWO

Hello @DrCWO, I just wanted to report back that I got it to work. I took your advice and stayed with wired ethernet configuration. Works like a charm! I showed my wife the new toy to control our Auralic. Well, after I showed her how it works, she said, “how much did this all cost?” I told her, and she said “well worth it.”

I must say the SpaceMouse is a special device. Works like a champ, all the time. Thank you for making it happen!

1 Like

Please see my announcement for the New Release of rooExtend v2.1.0 is out!
rooExtend – The easy start with Roon Extensions - Audio Gear Talk - Roon Labs Community

Hallo
since the weekend I am also an avid user of Roo6D. It is exactly what I have been missing!

But I have one problem: Roo6D obviously doesn’t work when zones are grouped. I was hoping, that at least the main zone that was used for grouping, would still be controllable. I really like to use a Rasperry Pi with a display (Ropieee) only to show the Now-Playing-View, which only works when I connect the “listening zone” with the Raspberry to form a group.

Best rergards…Werner

This is the way it should work! Combining zones all outputs of the Zone should be controlled simultaneous.

@Klaus_Engel will hopefully pick up this issue.

I did a test right now with the worst case scenario. One output runs from -80dB to 0dB, the other output from 0 to 100. When I use roo6D or rooDial both volumes of the two outputs were changed simultaneously. This means I cannot reproduce this issue :thinking:

I was too fast, sorry.
I didn’t notice that you can switch to the grouped zone in Settings / Extensions / Settings. The reason for my error was that under Settings / Extensions under “Status” “Connected, XX-Zone” was displayed, although this zone no longer exists after the grouping. In Settings / Extensions / Settings it is shown that no zone is selected and you can and must then activate the grouped zone.
Thank you for the quick reply, it’s working fine now.

2 Likes

Hello! I set up Roo6D on a Raspberry Pi 4B and had it working in minutes. I then wanted to move it to a Pi Zero W because the 4B is my only spare Pi right now and I use them for other things, and they are unavailable for order currently (grrr). I Released the license back in Roon, removed the Pi 4B, and installed RooExtend on the Zero W and joined it to my wifi. Everything seems to be working as before but it won’t take my license code. When I enter the code it seems to take a minute then come back and tell me its not licensed. Help!

Hi Andrew! Sorry to hear about your trouble.
I think that you did it correctly, revoked your licence first on the Pi4 and then installed the license on the Pi Zero. Not sure why this fails.
We will need @DrCWO to help here. He’s travelling, but he will help you with this ASAP.

Thanks! Standing by…

Right now I published rooExtend v2.2.0

It offers the new Roon Extension rooWatch that makes Roon controllable by a native Apple Watch App and Siri.

For more see my post here:

Best DrCWO