Roon 1.7 Build 505 not opening due to OpenGL issues

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

ROCK RoonOS 1.0 (Build 183) with Roon Core 1.7 (Build 505)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wired
Wireless - Intel Wifi in HP Elitebook 2540p with Edimax AC1750 WAP

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Multi endpoints - including RoonReady & RoonTested

Description Of Issue

Latest Build of Roon Core (1.7 Build 505) fails to open on this Laptop (HP Elitebook 2540p running Win7)

After updating Roon build, on attempting to open Roon I get

I have been using this Laptop to run Roon since you released at Beta - it is my personal machine in my study, and the one I use to manage and maintain my Music Library, keeping a separation from my work machine (Dell XPS13)

I am running the latest version of the Video driver for this machine.

@mike Can you rebuild and re-release with Support for earlier versions of OpenGL please.

2 posts were split to a new topic: OpenGL 2.1 compatibility?

Can’t be done. 3 has always been a requirement and 1.7 uses components of 3 not previously leveraged.

Hi @simon_pepper,

We’ve always required OpenGL 3.0, but there were some cases where older devices that do not support OpenGL 3.0 were able to get by. We are now using more features of OpenGl 3.0, so devices without support that may have worked in the past may no longer be able to function due to this lack of support.

Well 1.7 Build 500 worked (and all previous Build right back to the Beta release of Roon), but Build 505 doesn’t.

Can you look again at the OpenGL related changes in Build 505 please.

Hi @simon_pepper,

Just to confirm — Does your device support OpenGL 3.0?

With a driver dated 2013, I somehow doubt it, I’m afraid.

It supports up to OpenGL 2.1 [1]

[1] https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i7/i7-640lm

The driver is what limits it to OpenGL 2, the hardware is 3.0 compliant in Ubuntu. Microsoft stopped supporting that chipset before they got around to fixing 3.0 support and so that chipset never got addressed.

@dylan So can I get a 1.7 Build 500 for this machine, that doesn’t update to Build 505 - as this version did work, and so I can manage my Library on this PC from there.

Hi @simon_pepper — I’m going to bring your report to our meeting with the development team later today to get their feedback on this. I’ll be sure to reach out once we’ve discussed with them.

Thanks
As I said, it was working at 1.7 Build 500, but whatever was done for Build 505 broke support for my machine.
So if someone could look again at the changes around OpenGL usage to see what enforced strict OpenGL 3.0 usage and see if that could be dialed back.

Thanks, Simon.

Any feedback?

Hi @simon_pepper — Mike has followed up with you via a PM about this. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.