Roon 1.7 causing MacbookPRO 2018 to run fans at high speed

Excuse the late reply. Lots going on now as you all aware.

The Roon library was scanned and analyzed months ago, nothing has been added since. Same for Tidal and Qobuz, I logged into my accounts around the same time I added all my music to Roon.
The problem starts when I leave Roon on after an hour or two (no sleeping between use), CPU usage and energy jump in Activity Monitor (energy is usually in red colored font). I try to quit the Roon app but it just hangs for ever so I have to force quit it 90% of the time. Only Roon does this. If I use my other apps without Roon my Mac Mini will behave normally.

Had this problem last night for the first time, new to Roon. Running Roon Core on my 2019 MacBook Pro 16". Was streaming from my Node 2i, local music was not even attached. Fans went full blast until I shut down Roon. I’d say I was only listening for about half an hour. Nothing else major running on the computer. Screensaver was going at the time. Roon was definitely taking all the resources in the activity monitor.

1 Like

This is working for me for my core/endpoint iMac 2019:

I backed up Roon DB > removed Roon completely > downloaded Roon Server for Mac, Bridge and Roon > Proceeded with the install:

1-Roon server.
2-Roon bridge.
3-Roon to have an interface.

Restored the DB then positive results, its been running for one day:

My CPU usage went down from 300% to around 4%.

Even if your affected Mac is not the core machine you may deploy first Roon Bridge then Roon to have an interface… could make the difference apparently.
Hope it helps.

1 Like

That doesn’t make any sense? The Roon package already contain the Bridge and Server parts.
As you can see you have more than one instance of RoonSeerver and RoonBridge also, and they will most likely be competing over the same resources within the DB???

that is a valid concern. Other than that from the user perspective, I am quite impressed about the outcome of this implementation change, currently playing tunes 1.1% cpu usage :slight_smile:

I notice no DB access conflicts, the secondary process is completely idle, no weird messages from the logs.

Okaj, whatever works! :slight_smile: I rarely see numbers that low, but i use the “complete” Roon package on my MBP.

yeah… no joke:

I was still curious about this duplicate process name, so I went to my old MacBook Air and removed all Roon packages from it, rebooted, installed Roon Server only, it does show the duplicate processes:

then did the same for the Roon bridge:

I think it just normal Roon macOS behavior and unrelated to the deployment ¨by modules¨ I did, so no DB issues drama or anything ahead.

@support , @noris Are there any updates on this issue While it is random and curable for a time with a reboot, it can be troublesome if it is not noticed and the computer fans run at high speed while unattended.

Hello All,

Please see Dylan’s update regarding this issue here:

3 Likes

Thanks for the update!

Turning on wifi and then turning of wifi dropped my cpu from 400% to 3-4%. A workaround at least.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.