Roon 1.7 Feedback Thread

So you’re saying moving from Mac Mini to Nucleus also improved the microrendu endpoint SQ?

I can tell the difference from Mac Mini -> DAC via usb vs MacMini -> microrendu -> DAC

But thought by adding the microrendu I’ve eliminated the Mac causing any detriment to sound.

1 Like

The Android app is much improved, the old one had all sorts of rendering issues, was slow, had trouble connecting at times. The new version is good, and it doesn’t suffer the bold font issue that I don’t like on Windows.

The new releases for you is great, I can see why the top 20 or so are being suggested to me, they look very personal to my listening history. Yes I have Celine Dion lower down, it’s the only entry in the list that baffled me as to why it was there. If there was a button to click to get an explanation as to why it was there it would be good, other music recommendation services I use do this. I’d also like a parallel group of suggestions to the new releases, of old stuff you don’t seem to have in your library that world be perfect for you.

1 Like

Overall great release. Looking forward to test driving the Valence architecture.

The album view spacing and sizing is still too small/tight. For a clear view of what I mean, compare the two display modes from the Overview screen. If I click ‘view all’ under the New Releases for You section, the resulting display shows albums sized and spaced in a way that is not overcrowded and is readable (and scrolls vertically). If I click ‘view all’ under Recently Added, I get much smaller and overcrowded artwork with truncated album titles (and horizontal scrolling).

Edit: Posting a side by side comparison:

I like the Radio feature, but would like a way to sort/search by stream quality.

Wasn’t there an effort to revamp playlists? Must be on tap for a future update.

Please allow me to clarify, given that Roon was a brand new setup for me at the time… Prior to beginning the Roon trial I had been streaming TIDAL via my MacBook Pro for over a year (using the TIDAL app), connecting via USB out from MacBook Pro to a Schiit Modi (Multibit) DAC. It sounded pretty good, but I didn’t have any microRendu devices in use yet (I ordered them as soon as I purchased the Nucleus).

My initial configuration with Roon on the Mac Mini server was with Roon Bridge running on my MacBook Pro making it an endpoint, with the same USB out to the DAC as before. I never connected any USB audio to the Mac Mini server - it’s only connection was a gigabit Ethernet adapter.

Once I installed my Nucleus and began playback (still via Roon Bridge running on the MacBook Pro to the USB DAC), is when I immediately noticed the big improvement in SQ. So the SQ change for me was in going from running Roon Core on the Mac Mini to running a dedicated Nucleus on my network. Both were sending via RAAT to the same MacBook Pro and USB DAC, but with the Nucleus it sure sounded a lot better.

The two microRendus were installed shortly thereafter, and those endpoints sound great as well. Sorry for any confusion, and I hope this clarifies what I was describing.

That makes sense! Thanks for the great explanation

No I read somewhere that that VAL allows greater access to metadata sources, this is most likely what’s fulling in your blanks.

.sjb

100%.

if i’m searching for Turandot, i want the whole opera, not the 7k performances of Nessun Dorma, nor the eleventy-billion karaoke versions of same.

2 Likes

I don’t care for the white borders on the radio station icons in dark mode…kind of defeats the purpose of dark mode for me.

9 Likes

That makes sense. Thanks.

Performed the update hour or so ago. Rebooted everything in audio chain prior to make sure there were no pending updates etc…(server and endpoints are on 24/7). Anyway, proceeded with update and no issues at all. The database update took a bit as to be expected.

Started playing tunes and all is good! Great job ROON, excited to check out the new features

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Qobuz tracks skip

I work in software, web and product development and it makes sense to me why roon costs what it does, look at what it used to cost for adobe creative suite before they offered it as a cloud service at a monthly fee once the company was big enough …

But, I have a serious gripe and that is that none of the money seems to be going into the more aesthetic or technical aspects of the user interface experience. The latest update did nothing, absolutely nothing for me in terms of me feeling better or worse about the features or interface and I find the update to be underwhelming. If I were at roon I would honestly put some money towards a creative firm to strengthen the connection of the brand and product because what is being delivered to me is an incredible gem inside of what feels like a cardboard container

3 Likes

The point @Jez is making ( I suspect somewhat tongue in cheek) , I think, is that odd movements show in the Composition browser and cause “noise”

The composition browser is often not 100%, take for example Chopin Etudes Op.25

it shows as individual Etudes e.g. No.24 in my image and as the combined 12 etudes

As far as I can tell , when a single Etude is on disc it splits , if the disc is a set of the whole 12 it Combines

Not at all logical, I have no preference for either format but I would prefer 1 format . All of Chopin’s works show the same anomaly. It once again down to metadata quality from the 3rd party suppliers I suspect. Even grooming the file tags doesn’t fix in some cases.

1 Like

IN the composition browser are we not getting priorities mixed , take this example

Who is the “Star” , to me Alfred Brendel Accompanied by the SCO , the view here is that the orchestra comes first and by the way Brendel was joining in on the piano.

“Featuring” on a rock album would tend to imply a “Guest Appearance” as in …Featuring Norah Jones

Its a set of tracks by other bands adding Norah Jones as a guest

Just my 2 p

1 Like

Hi

The Zone description is truncated. The display does not fit the description:

I agree , the behind the scenes Valence bit obviously is a massive piece of work which I am sure will be the backbone of future developments.

The big BUT is that there are feature requests out there that have been on the list for years with no attention.

My particular one being shared by many classical listeners is the Box Set dilemma, i for one keep a duplicate system to manage my box sets this is crazy that as sophisticated a package as Roon doesn’t handle properly or more slickly a major facet of the music industry no matter what genre you choose .

Classical, Rock and Jazz all have a large number of box sets that are nigh on impossible to manage and navigate in the current program.

It almost seems that AI is the magic must do , lets show the world we can do it ?

Whinge Over …

7 Likes

Can you request a Polish translation? in the settings tab part of the function is in English and part in Polish

What’s happened to track numbers?

They are switched off by default in this release go to settings to switch them back on.

Can you request a Polish translation? in the settings tab part of the function is in English and part in Polish

Translations are made by community, you have the opportunity to contribute to a more comprehensive translation in Polish. I believe @mike is the right contact for this, at least he is for the translation in French I am helping on.

Edit: There is actually a dedicated thread for Polish translation:

1 Like