Roon 1.8 Android hangs and have to force close app [Fixed in Build 795]

22:58:30 CET Mon 26 Apr

Reproduce on request - any time. Stack trace from debug log available

I have switched from my Huawei Mediapad M5 to the iPad Air, the difference is astonishing. The Android app would crash several times an hour, on iOS there is none of that. I get that the Android tablet has less power but come on…

Feel free to turn on log monitoring on my licence. Android crashes on open so offen. Sometimes on the “Roon” text-logo, more often on the briefly animated circular Roon logo.

2 Likes

@support: when do you plan to fix this? It’s now months and the communication is less than optimal

5 Likes

Roon’s response to this issue absolutely sucks.

3 Likes

For me , Galaxy Note 10+, suddenly everything works fine again overnight.
There was no update, neither for my phone nor for the Roon remote app …
Strange, but anyway, I’m glad about it for now!

Three months of this bug driving me insane and still no updates/fixes?

I’m pretty tolerant of 1.8 and its “foibles” but come on, 3 months of still having to hard close and open the app anything up to 10 times multiple times a day just to get it to load is pretty disgraceful.

Can we get some kind of update on this and where we are with a fix?

FWIW (all working perfectly before 1.8)

Samsung S8 (SM-G950F)
Android 9
Roon Core 1.8 (build 790) on Linux Ubuntu 20.04 LTS running on VMWare ESXi 7.0.1
Music stored on TrueNAS
Android > Unifi ACLite AP on 2.4Mhz > Unifi Edgeswitch 48-500
11.41 GMT on 3rd May 2021

G

3 Likes

I have Samsung S9 running Android 10. Build G960FXXUFFUC6. It can take 3 attempts to get Roon to load. It rarely loads first time. It also randomly loses connection to the Core ( Windows 10 on Core i3).

I spoke too soon :roll_eyes:
All problems are back - app completely frozen und no way at all now to open it.
:woozy_face:

1 Like

Really, it’s clear that Roon doesn’t give a f**k about its Android users.

1 Like

@badboygolf16v

I don’t think so …

We’ll agree to disagree.

1 Like

I’ll add my name to the list.

Huawei Nova same issue. Hangs have to open and close up to 7 times before connecting to the core.

If this helps at all it seems to be on connection to the core. If i turn off the core and launch app it opens fine and searches for the core and fails for obvious reasons. If the core is on and it searches and tries to make the initial connection to the core that’s when it freezes.

Yes it still happens post 790. I echo the sentiment of many users, any other 1.8 foibles are minor, but not being able to , on a adhoc basis, connect is not acceptable. This never ever happened prior to 1.8, so its absolutely related. Its clearly a complicated issue, so I will try and observe patterns

1 Like

Agree this is pretty bad. Trying ever so hard to be patient :frowning:

1 Like

Waiting three months for fixing a bug that makes the whole thing pretty useless must be the definition of patience :thinking:

2 Likes

Having the same problem still. :sob:

Hi everyone,

I checked with the team on this and we are currently testing a potential solution. I can’t promise any specific timelines as it is all subject to how the testing goes, but we’ll be sure to keep everyone in the loop once we have more information. Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi @dylan given that this mostly impacts the same range of phone’s, are you able to share the developers thoughts on what might be causing this issue.

Thanks @dylan,
an additional note:
After updating the app for Samsung devices “Smartthings”, the Roon remote app was able to play music via the phone for about 2 hours, then it stopped again and nothing worked anymore.

I updated my Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ from Android 10 to 11 today, but the problem still persists. Reinstalling the Roon remote app does not help either. The app is still frozen and unresponsive.