Roon 1.8 (Build 806) Feedback

Many thanks for the reply. I have got Qobuz working but not sure how. Did sign out of everything,rebooted everything. Didn’t work straight away but came back a little later. Think there are one or two teething issues with this update,for a while it wouldn’t let me add music to the nucleus,and I have now lost the Daily Mix from the Home Screen. Thank you

Ok, then it is me imagining it. Oh I just saw an elephant fly by my window. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Believe me there are many things that happen even though you had not planned them - therefore there are always these long threads after a big update.

BTW I was also not the only one with that problem, others also stated that it got better…

1 Like

Good that you have it working again. I don’t think this particular issue is related to this build as I’ve seen this behavior with earlier builds. But, hey, the Roon team never sits still. I’m sure it will work out eventually.

Daily mixes disappeared? Can’t find them on my main page with any of my devices.

1 Like

Yes. It comes and goes. It seems ok now but I have been getting huge gaps between tracks. Several minutes. I have also had daily mix hang completely on a track and not progress to the next at all, no matter how long I wait.

Am I missing something? Isn’t this just roon radio? I tried roon radio with daily mix seeds. Got something similar but not the same somehow. Is that the personalization? As others have noted I see a lot of duplications and a narrow selection of artists on some of the mixes. It’s a mixed bag. Some of the mixes I have enjoyed very much. But I got that with roon radio as well. It would be great if mixes and radio would choose library versions where you have them but that is a long-standing request.

"why does Roon insist on grabbing the music from Qobuz when these albums are available (and identified) in my local library, sometimes in even higher resolutions?
I want to play MY music first and foremost "

This is a big one for me. I want to Favorite a song that is playing but Roon served up the Qobuz version instead of the one in my library. I have to go to versions/select the local album/navigate to the song/favorite/go back

A PAIN!

5 Likes

It look’s to me that you have a Facebook problem, not a Roon one! :rofl:

Sometimes the content of my history disappears and I have to close and launch the app on macosx to have it reappear (macOS 11.4). Regards. T.

1 Like

Is there a fix for the daily mixes yet? I had it and it’s been gone for a few days now.

I see it the same way. I can seed a radio from any artist in my library. If I want to put more decision-making in Roon’s hands, I can choose something from Discover to seed a radio. I don’t see the real big benefit of having this new (but limited in scope) feature. I am glad others find it useful!

This is a good question, what is the difference? When you say you tried “roon radio with daily mix seeds”, do you mean you took the artist that was the namesake of the playlist and started Roon Radio from the artist?

I guess the obvious difference is that a playlist you can see the whole thing at once and scan ahead. With radio, you have to hit next, get a new song generated, hit next, etc. So batch in the case of Playlist and one by one for Radio (but not that different)

Edit: and on Roon Radio you can give thumbs up and down, on playlist no apparent feedback loop (see thread i just started asking about this)

I did all the steps; rebooting, logging out and back with Tidal and Qobuz, playing lots of music of all kinds; the only thing left to do is wait and send time stamp. One thing to point out is the the first and second day after the 806 update all Daily Mixes were showing and playing.

Sure, this happens, in this case it helps to provide the requested info in the other thread.

In my case, I had the mixes on day one, but oddly they are never there in my local morning and appear later in the day :slight_smile:

It’s a DNS issue. It takes a while until the DNS servers learn about roon’s new functionalities.

2 Likes

One advantage I find with the Classical mixes I have tried so far is that roon plays single movements rather than entire works as it does with roon radio at the moment. I am not really seeing the personalization with Pop/Jazz mixes but maybe I am not supposed to notice.

If there is some personalization going on I find it quite noticeable with Classical mixes where roon seems to have worked out I have varied tastes. Vocal, Sacred, Violin, Piano, Baroque, Romantic. A mix seeded with a Violin soloist for example gave me a lot of couplings where the Violinist was accompanying a Vocalist. Makes for a very challenging mix where I am expecting more violin solo and less violin accompaniment!

On the other hand, it may be just my imagine but I do feel that on Classical mixes roon is maintaining the “mood” much better. I started avoiding radio with Classical seeds because I don’t really want Lieder or Chamber music interrupted with massive Mahler gangbuster crescendos.

1 Like

Could be one of roon’s best updates. Search, mixes, persistence fix. Does it for me.

Yes but seeding with the actual first track of the mix namesake artist. In many cases that is the first track but not always. Sometimes the namesake artist isn’t even on the playlist. For example I was offered a daily mix of Ane Braun with no Ane Braun. Enjoyable mix, but very limited to 5 artists over 25 tracks I thought.

There are advantages in that the playlist has been built for you and you can save and edit it. Of course you can do the same with radio but it’s a lot of work. I would say daily mixes is working for me. Very enjoyable feature. But it does carry over the weaknesses of radio. I would like to know more detail on what the “personalization” actually is.

So far, I don’t really have a criticism for Pop/Jazz mixes except some of the playlists have had a very narrow artist/album base, but certainly not all. Classical playlists are actually a major improvement over radio for me as the playlists have single movements not entire works.

The main weakness I am finding is that roon seems to be giving equal weight to where the seeding artist is a soloist and an accompanist/sideman. So maybe you were expecting a playlist of Classical Violin or Jazz Piano, but because the headline artist works extensively as an accompanist, the playlist may drift off in areas you were not expecting. Personally I don’t mind that, prefer it even, but I do want the general mood of the playlist maintained.

1 Like

Sad to see that even though personalization & discovery has been adressed as a top priority there still is no fix of Roon recommendations based on entire listening history

Of course we don’t know how Valence is building the playlists. I guess something like this logic:

• Pick an artist to seed from (and set the title) based on recent listening history in the profile
  • Either:
    • Pick one song as the seed (which may or may not be included in the playlist) and using Roon Radio logic
    • Using Roon Radio logic only based on the Artist
    • doing something totally different than Roon Radio (seems unlikely)

Only @danny knows for sure!!