Roon 1.8 (Build 846) Feedback - Linux Performance Improvements

This thread is for feedback about Roon 1.8 (Build 846), which brings performance improvements to Roon for Linux. You can find the full release notes here.

If you run into any problems with this update, please open a new thread in #support with detailed information about your setup and the issue you’re having. Thank you!

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Build 846 update searching for linux core

Antipodes EX updated. Tidal and Qobuz loading much snappier.

1 Like

Updated flawlessly on an Audiostore Nova server with a Sonicorbiter platform.

Update seems to have gone just fine on ubuntu 16.04. Very glad to not have to deal with a server upgrade or messing with docker.

A little disappointing to see lack of official support from roon for an LTS release that is still current tho.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Update from beta stuck in endless loop

Slackware 15.0+ (current) based core updated and is running great!

icu4c-69.1-x86_64.

Just over 98,000 tracks all locally stored.

Thanks.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Thank you beta testers! Build 846 is now live :rocket:

ROON core running on Debian 11 Bullseye updated without issues/problems.

Roon Core flawlessly updated on Synology DiskStation with DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 2. Everything OK.

First impression: Roon is more responsive. Memory usage increased with about 50%.

No issues updating SGC sonicTransporter-AP. Loading does seem faster, no question.

2 Likes

So far so good on a QNAP TVS-672XT NAS.

Physical memory usage is very high. Currently at almost 4Gb.

My experience with the beta build was that on startup the dotnet Linux server indeed uses more physical memory than the Mono builds before. But, after a while memory usage goes down and, more importantly, stays down, even under heavy system usage. So, perhaps after a couple of hours you may look again and may get positively surprised. Let’s hope so…

3 Likes

That is good to hear. I’ll continue to check it over the next few days.

All good on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (rebooted after update). Definitely seems zipper. :+1:

Have to hand it to Mark Cole at Antipodes.
He helped me with my older Edge unit to get it updated to their new v3.1, a version it was never designed for and envisaged running.
But it’s done and now running build 846 very happily indeed.

Nice job all round to Antipodes and Roon teams for pulling this one off successfully.

3 Likes

Upgrade was flawless. All working on Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.4.0-89-generic x86_64).

2 Likes

performance improvements are VERY noticeable. much more responsive / faster page loading, faster source swapping. big time digging it. also a flawless upgrade (arch x64 w/ 5.14.12)

The upgrade was flawless and there ARE noticeable performance improvements while navigating, however it’s still slow.

Specifically, rebooting the docker container - it takes 3 seconds only for the client to detect the server. However, it takes 2 minutes and 41 seconds for the client to move on past the Roon logo to the main screen at startup.

The navigation is still not snappy either. Before hearing this fix was coming I went to the extreme step of backing up my database and reimporting to a new one - which didn’t help.

There’s something funny still wrong - perhaps it’s just me. I have a 12GB database of which about 9GB is images. 120k tracks - so not the smallest, but not the biggest either.

And I might add, this wasn’t always the case, it did used to be snappy - I’m not sure when that changed, but figure it was an update at some point.

If it would help troubleshoot, I could spin this up in a VM, or a dedicated machine.

I have tons of RAM, Fast Disk and CPU at my disposal - these are not issues in this case.

1 Like