Roon 1.8 (Build 880) Feedback Thread

It would have to be a meal and a bed for the night too - I only have 4,000 albums and that took long enough!

Michael

1 Like

Alas, the playlist scrolling issue on tablets is still present. Judging from the lack of response my feeling is that it flies under the radar and that’s why I feel the need to keep posting this issue with every release.

@Roon team: if this is already on the map then please let me know.
@All users: if you are also experiencing this, do chime in so I will know it’s not just me.

When scrolling the content of a playlist (one level down), the content quickly loses sync with the finger touch input on iPad Pro 11 as well as on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and an earlier model iPad Air. The content keeps slipping from under my finger and the scrolling motion continues even though I have stopped moving. This happens when swiping through the added tracks inside a playlist, as well as in the My Tracks overview.

It does not happen with the My playlists overview (1 level up) or in the My Albums or My Artists overview. Here, it does work as expected, precisely following my finger movements.

This issue started with the first version of Roon 1.8 and seems persistent.

Edit: on the upside, having read about the many new issues with this release, I am fortunate not to have experienced any trouble updating the Grimm MU1 (having waited until the end of the day for them to issue the fix for a problem that they had identified during the 880 beta phase).

1 Like

After updating to Build 880 on Nucleus+ all my album covers on my iOS devices load very slowly and majority of the covers never loaded. This is true for My Albums, Artists, Playlists, Qobuz and Tidal. Tried clearing image cache and re-installing the Roon app to no avail. I would have thought a Roon Nucleus will have less update issues.

1 Like

What happened? Worst update ever.
-endpoints dont get discovered.
-slow loading of covers
-interrupted playback
-remote and endpoints lose connections to core.

1 Like

Hi
Even after a backup recovery. Still same issues…any solution to advise?

1 Like

I am running Roon core on my x86 PC (Win 10) with Pro-ject audio stream box s2 ultra as roon ready end point and Marantz SA KI Ruby as dac.
After updating to Roon 1.8 straight away native DSD scenarion stops working, only DoP settings within stream box s2, and i found out changes with sound quality are dramaticaly changed to the worse part with DoP.
Is there is posibbility to return to previous version of Roon? or how to fix the issue. By Swithching from DoP to DSD native (save settings button) several times had no sence.
upd.
After updating stream box s2 ultra to 1.071 nither native DSD, nor DoP works correctly so every scenario just converts to PCM 352 kHz

1 Like

Updated Core on Mac mini M1 faultlessly , updated IPad, IPhone and Windows PC clients all works perfectly… Endpoints and Mac Mini Streamer/Bridge worked …perfectly… new search is fantastic and massively better. Top job :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Why does Roon occasionally prefer images that seem to be non existent? Not often, but on a few albums while scrolling for Roon to cache my library… Which is a PITA on it’s own…

2 Likes

Exactly, that’s why we need a split between logos and artist photos. We have to have an option to opt-out of the logos.

And they can trust the crowd, but they have to be very careful with the well known artists. In the Art Director they are getting overloaded with a lot of (sorry to say) crap photos and not very well curated photos. There needs to be a check before these are accepted.

My core keeps on restarting itself. Music is interrupted of course.
Anyway to dig into this deeper?
“Error” is not very informative. Timestamps are in CET.

root@scarpe:~# journalctl -u  roonserver.service -f
-- Logs begin at Tue 2019-02-26 20:44:22 CET. --
dec 17 13:31:45 scarpe start.sh[20499]: Started
dec 17 13:31:46 scarpe start.sh[20499]: aac_fixed decoder found, checking libavcodec version...
dec 17 13:31:46 scarpe start.sh[20499]: has mp3float: 1, aac_fixed: 1
dec 17 13:31:49 scarpe start.sh[20499]: Running
dec 17 13:56:20 scarpe start.sh[20499]: Error
dec 17 13:56:22 scarpe start.sh[20499]: Initializing
dec 17 13:56:22 scarpe start.sh[20499]: Started
dec 17 13:56:22 scarpe start.sh[20499]: aac_fixed decoder found, checking libavcodec version...
dec 17 13:56:22 scarpe start.sh[20499]: has mp3float: 1, aac_fixed: 1
dec 17 13:56:24 scarpe start.sh[20499]: Running
dec 17 14:09:45 scarpe start.sh[20499]: Error
dec 17 14:09:47 scarpe start.sh[20499]: Initializing
dec 17 14:09:47 scarpe start.sh[20499]: Started
dec 17 14:09:47 scarpe start.sh[20499]: aac_fixed decoder found, checking libavcodec version...
dec 17 14:09:47 scarpe start.sh[20499]: has mp3float: 1, aac_fixed: 1
dec 17 14:09:51 scarpe start.sh[20499]: Running

You should post in #support forum in the requested format so someone from the Roon team will look at it.

1 Like

Meanwhile, since I like to enjoy music. Is there a way to downgrade roon?

1 Like

I’m not so sure that this current disaster is hardware platform-related. It seems to me that rather not. The biggest problem is related to apparently ‘corrupt’ databases, which itself seems to be the consequence of using an unreliable tool for data persistence without proper consistency checks up to the current release.

I do wonder, though, if there is any correlation to underlying file systems or other characteristics of the Roon Core systems… that is, are users running Core on journaled file systems affected as much as those who are not? Given that leveldb has a reputation of easily going corrupt, what can we as users take into account on our systems to lower the likelihood of this to happen? What does Nucleus or a Rock system run on?

Luckily, I am not affected by this problem at this time. My Roon Core is on an ext4 filesystem running in a box which has been heavily affected by power outages. Since setting it up, it has been easily 20-30 times suddenly shut off by power outages. And yet, no database corruption.

2 Likes

Just updated my Antipodes Edge and android phone to b880.
Nothing to report, instant success.
All good here👍

1 Like

Interesting. Newer MacOS have checksums in its file system (AFPS), older does not (ext3, HFS). Should do a poll.

2 Likes

Not a smooth update process at all. First try lost 20% of my music library. Reinstalled the database from the most recent backup and things looked okay for a moment then poof 20% of my music library gone once again.

Did a clean reinstall of Roon Core, reinstalled the database from a recent backup and still missing 20% of music library plus Roon was hanging on the library rescan.

Finally just shut down Roon and restarted and like magic my entire music library was there and so far no additional issues.

Like a said, not so smooth but eventually I got 880 installed and running.

1 Like

This I experienced, too. As it is the easiest thing to do, I did the Roon server restart first and for me too, this resolved the problem.

2 Likes

RoonCore on Win7 64 pro server worked very well so far without any problems.

Now I’m glad I paid ONLY one year for now !!!
And I think an extension is probably NOT useful !!!

Why? After the update to build 880 several hours of pointless work on problems I have not ordered.
I have updated the database, no success, I have reinstalled EVERYTHING, a complete reinstall on all devices, nothing helps !!!
I have now spent several hours on this forum and the support is as poor as the update.

2 Likes

Build 880 disabled the Stream Deck extension from functioning, perhaps others as well.

RESOLVED. The ports changed. I changed to 9300 but the best way to see what port your Roon is using is to look at the link for DISPLAY under Settings.

I’m running APFS on the Mac hosting my Roon server and I got snake-bit by the Build 880 database “corruption” issue.

BTW: Given the variety of platforms that have impacted by the “corruption” issue, my intuition tells me that this isn’t a storage hardware or file system issue. Rather, it’s possibly an insufficiency in the database used to back the library & the lack of recovery tools.

2 Likes