Roon 2.0.7 New Content Sources (aka Wikipedia integration)

Dumb question but, build numbers say:

Roon 2.0.7
roonserver 2.0 (build 1182)
Roon Remote 2.0 (build 1182)

Previously 2.0.5
roonserver 2.0 (build 1169)
Roon Remote 2.0 (build 1167) production

2.0.x is referring to another point release or whatever (I assume)? Why not just refer to the build numbers (2.0, build 1182 or 1169 or 11xx) :man_shrugging:

It’s confusing me so much, I may have to start happy hour early today :slight_smile:

You always have to update iOS apps separately Roon cannot update those they are controlled by the AppStore only. When Roon means all it means all the ones it can which is all instances on mac, windows Linux, RoonOS.

1 Like

Works perfectly fine and nothing has been replaced, update your remote apps on all platforms and you will see it.

1 Like

This is a great addition. I didn’t realize AllMusic was owned by TiVo, and that initially threw me for a loop and thought we lost the AllMusic stuff, which I have always valued.

Thanks, Roon team!

Thank you. That’s good to know. Being rather a literalist I thought that “all” meant “all.” It’d be good if Roon changed the wording of its message to make it clear that iOS apps need to be updated via the App Store. That aside, I’m very happy to have more metadata from more partners.

1 Like

I will say that I heartily second this… @brian not sure if you could “pop a modal” on all devices after they’ve chosen to update their cores reminding them to go to app stores for all iOS and Android devices and update at the same time and get an “I acknowledge” or something like that. This current experience, while easily understood once you’ve got that you need to do a few more steps, is not great - you can see reading this thread that a bunch of people get all upset, when they should be psyched (and eventually once they get there, they are psyched, but the few minutes/hours of frustration would be great to avoid). Or you could pop a warning on iOS/Android devices that they don’t match the core and need to be updated with a link to the app store. Or both…

1 Like

It’s easy done they really need to change it.

In the other direction as well. I forgot if updating from the mobile app also shows an “update all” option, but I any case it can update my ROCK but obviously not my Roon on Windows or macOS, so that can be forgotten, too

It wlll update any main roon app on Windows or Mac or Linux if they are open at the time. same goes for Roon Bridge if there is an update for it.

My Android phone and iPad only list “This phone/tablet” and the Rock under Settings > About. They certainly never went and ran an update on my Roon app on PCs and restarted the apps.

If they are not running it wont but if they are logged in and active it should. Does for all my connected remotes if they are active.

They are always running and this never happened for me. Well until recently I ran Roon in Wine on Linux, but all the update procedure went otherwise perfectly, so don’t know if that had an influence. Now I have macOS but I am not sure if I had a Roon update since, but the iPad and Android does not list the macOS app in any case.

Maybe it doesn then, i do tend to update from my windows remote so maybe confusing things

I’ll see soon with my new fancy setup :slight_smile: Would be kinda nice if this could be triggered remotely and no worries (and disgruntled users like in this thread :slight_smile: )

I am sure its down to permissions as it could easily detect them on the network as it sees them as audio endpoint if a dacs connected.

In any case, the apps on all platforms can all check the Roon core version and clearer messaging on all platforms would be a good idea

100% agreee the current message causes this confusion all the time. Its not updating all so why say it is.

2 Likes

Dearest Roon Community,

It’s come time, again, that I have to clarify a few things regarding civility on our forum. Posts like the one above by @Matthew_Davis violate Community Rules and will not be tolerated. Conduct of this kind will result in an immediate suspension or permanent ban.

Look, we understand that software changes can be frustrating initially. There is any number of responses a person in that situation can choose from. Asking a simple question is one that seems to work well, reaching out to support helps, and another is reading the build release notes.

However, frustration with getting new features optimized isn’t a license to post irrational statements, unhinged accusations, blatant lies, label people, pass judgment, assume the worst of folks who are just doing their jobs, state opinions as facts, or profane our staff. People have gotten entirely too comfortable with this type of behavior lately.

If courteous communication is beyond the skill set of anyone reading this, please save me the time it takes to lock your profile, delete all your posts, and scrub your existence from our forum - just go somewhere else.

Roon Community is intended to be an enjoyable place to ask questions, get help when needed, and share our enthusiasm for Roon and music with like-minded people.

Posts like Mr Davis’ erode our community and drive good-natured users away. How do I know? Only because they tell us so everyday. I’m dismayed and embarrassed that I now have to share the Forum Guidelines and request simple courtesy on a daily basis. It’s exhausting, tedious, and it unnecessarily extends support wait time. It’s gotten out of hand.

We share a four-step approach in our guidelines for steering Community members in the right direction when we observe behavior that breeds incivility. Make no mistake; the Four-Step approach isn’t guaranteed. Many are surprised to discover this when their conduct requires me to dispose of it.

So please, allow me to share a kind word of advice. Don’t entertain the notion that you have three get-out-of-jail-free cards before your privileges to post here are permanently revoked. You may be setting yourself up for an unpleasant shock. Nuisance Community members who exhibit continued low-level behavioral problems will have their trust level locked at Zero. Zero trust level requires moderator approval of all posts. That’s not what we want, but that’s where we are.

My apologies to those of you to whom my statements don’t apply. I regret that you keep seeing these continued pleas for basic mutual respect. We appreciate your cooperation and courtesy. Thanks.

27 Likes

Hey Gang,

My follow-up post with a quick how-to for finding and adjusting preferences for the new Editorial sources settings didn’t appear for some reason.

Please navigate to Settings>General>Browsing Preferences>Editorial sources>Edit to set your preferences.

Toggle on any editorial sources you’d like to see in Roon.

Use the handles to prioritize Editorial Sources.

I’ve chosen Wikipedia as my primary source for this example. Click the expand button as usual to see Editorial Content

The highlighted text on the right indicates the editorial source that’s being displayed. In this example Wikipedia.

To view an alternate source, simply click one of the other options.

If you’re not seeing Editorial Source preferences in Roon under Settings>General>Browsing Preferences, please ensure that your Core and all Remotes are running the latest build. Because this update includes more hefty display features all devices have to be on the same build. (either build 1182 production or 1180 earlyaccess)

If you’re still not seeing editorial content with all devices running the latest build, it could be because you don’t have any editorial sources toggled on. It may also be that your editorial source lacks information for the artist or album you’re viewing. Try selecting an alternate source from your list to see if that helps.

If neither of those troubleshooting steps helps please submit a Support request, and we’ll happily lend a hand. Thanks!

19 Likes

Excellent post @jamie , thanks for showing how this works. Wiki integration is absolutely awesome :+1:

4 Likes