Roon 2.0.7 New Content Sources (aka Wikipedia integration)

I really love this new feature. Finally a great framework for adding more sources. I would love to see more sources like discogs album link, bandcamp artist profule, who sampled link etc .

I assume the quantum timelines would also be made available as new source.

let’s bundle all new requests for more editorial sources here:

Great work

4 Likes

It’s a great new feature! Good job. Thanks, Roonteam…

4 Likes

Thank you for this Wikipedia integration. It conveniently replaces what I had to do so often when discovering new bands; switching to a browser to view their wiki page. The information is also a breath of fresh air compared to the many poorly written and out of date Tivo sourced reviews/information.

8 Likes

Thanks Roger - I thought I had but I’d done what I keep telling my son not to - seen a warning and ignored it. Was stuck at “Checking for update”. Reinstalled over the top as suggested in Core Update: There was an error checking for an update - all good now.

While I think that Allmusic unites some of the best music writers, I really like this addition of further sources … great job, Roon team!

I love the magazine approach Qobuz has / would like to have, with reviews and articles from music magazines … maybe the future will bring even further sources?

let’s bundle all new requests for more editorial sources here:

2 Likes

Question…for purposes of Roon ARC and CarPlay, I have turned off all Editorial sources in the hopes this would reduce data usage and improve app functionality. I mean, who reads this stuff when using these apps anyway? Am I fooling myself that this has any impact or not?

Probably… text is perhaps a few kilo–bytes (if that), whereas a cd quality track is up in the mega-bytes.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll leave it turned off anyway just in case it might make a difference.

I don’t think this issue is the result of the changes to editorial sources we’ve made. I was able to reproduce it and from what I can tell, this has probably been the behavior since we launched Roon 1.8. I’m tracking this issue now and hopefully we’ll have a fix soon.

3 Likes

I love this idea of editorial integration. I wonder if there will be a way to add other sources even with an enhanced subscription to reviews provided by various music magazines and their archives. It would be fun to read the original record review for let’s lay Kind of Blue from an old issue of Downbeat magazine etc.

1 Like

I was a people who hadn’t noticed! I thought Allmusic was being supplanted by Wiki, but it’s both. Nice.

If you find a review you can put it into PDF or JPG and include it in the album folder ,Roon will pick it up and it will show it as a link on the main Album page

My technique is in Windows, copy the text, paste into Word then use the Print to PDF function to convert

Disclaimer, I am sure there will be copyright implications on some text :smiling_imp:l

2 Likes

Thanks! That’s a nice idea!. I tried to get chatGPT AI ChatGPT: Optimizing Language Models for Dialogue to write a review of Sonny Rollins Vol. 2 but it was a fail! :joy:

Sure! Here is a review of Sonny Rollins’ album “Sonny Rollins Volume 2” in the style of Herb Reichert:

"Sonny Rollins’ “Sonny Rollins Volume 2” is a masterclass in modern jazz saxophone. From the opening notes of “Blue Seven,” it’s clear that Rollins is in top form, his fluid and expressive playing effortlessly gliding over the crisp and dynamic backing of the Max Roach Quartet.

The title track, “Sonny Rollins,” is a tour de force of virtuosity and creativity, with Rollins’ horn soaring over a pulsing rhythm section and the subtle yet powerful piano work of Walter Bishop Jr.

Throughout the album, Rollins displays his incredible range, tackling everything from the hard-driving bebop of “Misterioso” to the soulful balladry of “The House I Live In.” His improvisations are always fresh and engaging, never falling back on cliches or relying on tired tricks.

But it’s not just Rollins who shines on this album. The rest of the band, particularly Roach on drums and Bishop on piano, are equally impressive, their interplay and chemistry elevating the music to new heights.

Overall, “Sonny Rollins Volume 2” is a must-have for any fan of modern jazz, showcasing the incredible talent and artistry of one of the genre’s true masters."

1 Like

Wikipedia integration is an outstanding new feature. Thank you, Roon!

2 Likes

@jamie @brian2 – Thanks for the awesome update. One minor change that appears to be a result of this new feature: formerly, there was a section to the right of the editorial content (something like “Mentioned in this review”) which provided avatars and links to all of the linkable content from the body of the review. While you can still click the link in the body of the writeup, wondering if it was intentional to get rid of that other group of links (I enjoyed having them listed there as onestop shopping).

I did use those sometimes

1 Like

I reported this here:

2 Likes

I really like the wiki integration.
Though, i don’t know if it’s connected, roon has become extremely slow in loading bios and reviews. i get screens like this

that can last for seconds.
I looked in the forum but did not find reports of this problem. Anyone else?

Almost instantaneously on my android phone.