Roon constantly drops the connection

Yeah, bit of a trek. Sorry again I didn’t read all the way down!

You should scroll down and get the rest of the “Networking” details, too, in another shot. I think that’s probably what they really want, to see what the gateway and DNS settings are.

Not that you’ll see any response before Tuesday.

Ok, thanks!

Those values look good to me, though I suspect they will ask you to change the DNS server to something like 8.8.8.8, which is the public DNS server Google runs. Right now you’re doing DNS lookups on your local router, which depending on how you have it configured will either forward them to your ISP’s DNS service, or possibly something else, like Google’s or Cloudflare’s. But the connection failures pointed out earlier in the thread do not look like DNS problems to me. They could be; if your local router is caching DNS lookups, and the IP address of Roon’s server is changing, it could be out of sync. But I have no idea whether either of those two presuppositions are actually relevant.

Before you took this screenshot had you intentionally restarted your roon server software a couple of hours before?
Because the server OS shows as running for 14 days but roon server app as only 2 hours.

A post was split to a new topic: Experiencing Dropouts on Mac Mini Core

Hi @Dan_Schwartz,

I appreciate your continued patience.

We need to pin down if the out of memory errors are contributing to the Roon Server restarts.

The QA team has supplied us a RAM test you can run on ROCK via a bootable USB drive. It’s a free, open-source software.

If you aren’t able to boot the above test, there’s an alternative software, too: If you are unable to boot the above test for some reason, there is an alternative tool:

Please let either of the memory test programs run for a few hours on your device (long enough to experience a Roon Server restart intermittently) and report the results to the team. It should give us a definitive answer if memory is the issue here.

Let us know if you have any questions in the meantime and thank you again.

Hi @connor -

I’ve done all this stuff before, but it was a while ago. I think I may still have a bootable USB around here. I’ll try to remember. What’s the difference between a bootable and an unbootable?

Hi @Dan_Schwartz,

A USB drive the ROCK can mount (for transferring and updating software). An external storage drive, for instance.

Thank you again for your patience.

I guess it’s time for me to admit I have no idea what I’m being asked to do,

In the meantime, the problem continues: I was just using the system, listening to Bach’s cello suites by Janos Starker on Mercury and suddenly the music stopped and it could no longer connect. Even when it reconnecte it still wouldn’t properly connect. Pic:

Dan, let’s try to do the memory test @connor suggested.

Take a look at the instructions on https://www.memtest.org/, under “Installation on Removable Media”. Do you think you can follow them?

If so, just let it run for a few hours (overnight would be best).

It finally came back up. We’ll see how long it lasts.

@Bill_Janssen

I finally have, after all this time, Memtest86+ on a USB drive. There are other things on it which I’d like to keep. Is that acceptable? But now I have no idea what to do.

I DL’ed Roon 2.0. I hoped that would solve the problem, but if anything it’s worse now.

Yes, I think other things can co-exist. Now run it and test your memory, as suggested above. Let us know what you see.

@Bill_Janssen I don’t get how to use this. Nothing will open. Maybe I DLed the wrong one.

I’ve never tried it myself, but the Web page says, “Reboot your computer and select the USB Drive in your Boot Menu.” That should do it.

@Bill_Janssen Doesn’t that assume that I have the program? For one I have a .iso, for the other I have an .exe. I can’t open either.

Dan, you can’t just download. You have to create a “bootable USB stick”. Since you’re using a Mac, follow the instructions under MacOS, which says to use balenaEtcher to create the USB stick.

@connor, perhaps you can provide more insight into this?

@Bill_Janssen
Bill, I believe I said above its been a long time since I did this.

I don’t know where you found anything saying 'follow the instructions under Mac OS". I got balenaEtcher but that’s as far as I’ve gotten.

I found this page MemTest86 - Creating a MemTest86 bootable USB Flash drive in Linux/Mac

But it’s late and I think I’ll start tomorrow.

1 Like