I had to mess around with .desktop files to get it to appear in my menus but it works, its a little unstable and drops connection to the server often.
NOTE the Windows bridge/output portion does NOT work. I installed the Linux bridge, configured it using a different, native Roon control (on my phone - its a bit weird to do it that way, but if you think it through you can see why), but now have local playback on Linux. Volume control doesn’t play that nicely with PulseAudio though, but its not a major issue.
I changed the Roon Linux bridge to fixed volume, and can control the volume using the PulseAudio vol control.
As the Roon audio transport fails if I have the PA mixer open (I presume PA then grabs the device and locks Roon out), what is happening is PA is only controlling the device Roon is using. Perversely, I prefer it like this, as I like having the vol control in my taskbar and not only within the app.
Failure to install dotnet45 is a Wine issue, may be worth going to their forum for help. I can’t recall if dotnet45 was the version specifically needed, or if you could use other versions - it may simply be that dotnet45 has been replaced or an older one will suffice.
When first getting this going, I created many Wine instances as I experimented away, if you are having problems with dotnet45, create other Wine instances and try a different version of dotnet in each - once you have one that works well, delete the old ones. Since doing this, I now install a unique instance of Wine for every application - its definitely a more robust approach.
I hope that helps.
Of course, a native app would be the best - wrapping the web app in electron or similar would be almost as good for the Roon Remote.
Just tried it on 16.04. Goes OK till it opens browser tabs and prompts to download the Microsoft XML Parser. Then on top of that a Roon installer pops up, and says it will install dotnet, which it does, but when the Roon installer ends, an error window comes up saying it doesn’t have the correct version of .NET: “To run this application, you must first install one of the following versions of the .NET Framework: 4.0.30319.” Need some user coaching about what to do with the pop-up installers and download pages.
It hung for about 30 minutes, no I/O, no CPU activity, before I killed it.
After some struggle with apt dependency issues, I managed to install winehq-stable. Hung again. The hang is because I’m running in an Emacs shell buffer, and Windows interacts badly with the terminal there. There was a prompt that wasn’t being shown:
Are you sure you want to delete the registry key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v2.0.50727\SBSDisabled'? (Yes|No)
This prompt occurs twice during the dotnet45 install.
So tried again in a Terminal windows. The next issue is three further downloads that have to be done manually, for some reason. After downloading each to the specified subdirectory of ~/.cache/winetricks/, I removed ~/my_roon_instance, and started install.sh fresh.
Another problem is that during the install of dotnet20, the Windows version is set to win2k, and then at the end of the dotnet45 install, the Windows version is set to Windows 2003, so when the Roon installer runs, it fails because it requires Windows 7.
It works for me on debian testing, this finally convinced me to pay for roon as i really didn’t like controlling from my android because i use roon as an ‘all in one’ on my laptop.
what i did:
install wine as explained in the debian wiki: https://wiki.debian.org/Wine
i just did the standard installation plus installed winetricks.
(Note: I’m not sure if the following two downloads are really required but only after i did it the dotnet45 installation completed successfully and the roon launcher works and stopped complaining about mono is not installed or mono could not be loaded.)
download wine-mono-4.5.0.msi and place it in /usr/share/wine/mono/ and give the directory read access. https://dl.winehq.org/wine/wine-mono/4.5.0/
downloaded wine_gecko-2.47-x86_64.msi and wine_gecko-2.47-x86.msi and place them in /usr/share/wine/gecko/ and give the directory read access. probably only the x86_64 is required. https://wiki.winehq.org/Gecko