Roon does not sync correctly with Tidal favorites

Hello Noris, I have updated the BIOS to the latest and greatest from the Intel website and nothing has changed. I feel like blindly wandering around. Installing Ubuntu might be difficult for me, so I prefer not to do it. Wouldn’t be wiser to reinstall ROCK from scratch and see what happens?

Hello Noris, I have just finished reinstalling ROCK… I am sorry to say that I see no change! Still not syncing properly.

Hi @simoneratti,

Thank you for trying the latest BIOS and for reinstalling ROCK. As for the next steps here, the most useful data point we could next get is if Ubuntu exhibits the same behavior.

Installing Ubuntu should be fairly straight-forward, you can use the instructions listed on Ubuntu’s site here:

Following the Ubuntu install, you can install Roon Core on it, by inputting the commands noted on our Linux Install Documentation.

Can you please give Ubuntu a try and verify if the same behavior occurs?

Ciao Noris, I have installed Ubuntu but I am not a linux user. I have followed the instructions to install RoonBridge through the easy installer… but what should i do next? I am lost! How do I run Roon?

My NUC is connected to the network but no Roon remote can find it.

Ciao @simoneratti,

Thanks for giving Ubuntu a try! Roon Bridge is not a Roon Core, you would need to install RoonServer:

Roon Server x86_64

$ curl -O http://download.roonlabs.com/builds/roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh
$ chmod +x roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh
$ sudo ./roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh

Please be sure to also install the dependencies:

Dependencies

ffmpeg or avconv (Roon Server only)

ffmpeg or avconv must be installed and available in your PATH . Roon Server will fail to start if it can’t find one or the other. You only need one or the other, not both. If both are present, Roon Server uses ffmpeg .

On Debian, Ubuntu, and other distributions that use apt-get for package management, generally one of the following commands will meet this dependency:

For ffmpeg :

$ sudo apt-get install ffmpeg

For avconv :

$ sudo apt-get install libav-tools

Ok, now the remote sees it. It is currently in the progress syncing but it is early to say if it behaves differently. I update you shortly if you remain online.

1 Like

It seems to suffer from the same issue…endless syncing

This is ubuntu running

Look Noris, I have managed to setup on linux the wifi connection to a mobile AP and finally:

What’s wrong with my home network on linux based systems? On Mac Roon core it works great…but not on ROCK and Ubuntu. ROCK and Ubuntu work only out of my home network…working it around through a mobile AP.

Hi @simoneratti,

Thanks for confirming that the sync worked as expected with the hotspot on Ubuntu!

That is a good question, but one for the QA team. Can you please send me a copy of the Ubuntu Core logs so I can ask them to review them? As a reminder, you can access logs by using these instructions. Thanks!

I am in the process of reinstalling ROCK to test the hotspot again… those logs are gone…should I reinstall ubuntu?

Confirmed…this is ROCK through the hotspot!

So… should I reinstall Ubuntu again to take logs?

Hi @simoneratti,

Please provide the ROCK logs for now, it is an interesting data point that ROCK works as expected through the hostpot so perhaps there will be some further clues that way.

Hello Noris, here you can find the logs on ROCK Dropbox - simoneratti logs.zip - Simplify your life

THANKS

1 Like

Hello Noris, I had some time this morning which I spent playing with all the possible settings of my Orbi router and Fastweb modem and checking at each individual change if an improvement was obtained. I have used the DMZ functionality of the Fastweb modem to point directly to the Orbi router reducing to the very minimum what is done by the modem. I have also turned off unnecessary functionalities like UPnP etc. I took care that the DNS used are 1.1.1.1; 1.0.0.1; 8.8.8.8 and confirmed with http://dnsleaktest.com what is used actually. No change of behaviour unfortunately. I am eagerly waiting the results of the logs analysis. I have no other ideas…
Thanks!

Does your Orbi router or Fastweb modem have an intrusion prevention system by any chance? I have a wifi mesh system provided by Zyxel (Multy X) and it has a cloud-based IPS that I can access from an app on my phone (AiShield).

I have had problems with some of the IP addresses in the TIDAL CDN being blocked as potentially malicious by the IPS. I was able to resolve the issue by whitelisting the specific IP addresses, but until I did so playing TIDAL content would often simply hang in Roon for no apparent reason.

Not that I am aware of. Is there. A way to test? All firewall or security functions are disabled on the devices.

Difficult to know to be honest. On my system I have a separate app to manage the IPS and it effectively takes over from, and extends, the basic parental controls on the wifi mesh devices.

I see on the netgear site they talk about netgear armour coming to all Orbi devices via firmware update;

Are you aware of this being available/activated on your Orbi setup?

Thanks Tim…it should not be active as I see this popup each time I connect to the router inviting me to join

but I have never approved.

I have downloaded the app and checked on my smartphone to be sure

It says security Not Activated. I should be clean.

OK thats me out of ideas then really. I guess you could try actually enabling it just to see if that is the cause, and if so it then gives you the opportunity to fix it?